Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Janis ..... 70 years ago

... her birthday is celebrated in the

Tgraf 1

Tgraf 2

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    ... her birthday is celebrated in the

Tgraf 1

Tgraf 2

I guess she never did get her Merc.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

But Byron is still with us - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Janis

This seems about as appropriate on the Jazz thread as the original. Didn't mean to crash, but accessing the forums via the New Posts link has some interesting side effects.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

This seems about as appropriate on the Jazz thread as the original. Didn't mean to crash, but accessing the forums via the New Posts link has some interesting side effects.
        His Rach PC3 was on RCA Victrola about the same time as 'A little piece of my heart' - both well worth a listen. I see Byron's first marriage was over after the fat lady's sister stopped singing - or maybe started who knows?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

oh i think Janis can be welcome on the Jazz Threads ... she shouts blues with the very best ... as for yer classical pianist now he is an intrusion but so what ..... next time a deceased artist is remembered on the krassikal threads i will add in a reference to a jazbo ... how will that be for sensitivity eh ....?
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Interesting - there seems to be a basic link of Jazz with folk, I guess Jazz may be argued to be a form of folk music. There is also a high end link to Classical music, in the sense that many classical musicians and listeners enjoy the music - in my case both Jazz and Classical music share a strong intellectual content (which may not be present in folk music).

There was a classical pianist, Gulda, featured on Jazz Record Requests last week, who was also a Jazz musician. Unfortunately in the case of Byron, I can't see in his biography anything remotely linking him to Jazz.

Ah well who cares. I'm just for new audible experiences!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              oh i think Janis can be welcome on the Jazz Threads ... she shouts blues with the very best ... as for yer classical pianist now he is an intrusion but so what ..... next time a deceased artist is remembered on the krassikal threads i will add in a reference to a jazbo ... how will that be for sensitivity eh ....?
              I guess it's only a problem for those with strict genre boundaries!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                I guess it's only a problem for those with strict genre boundaries!
                For me, a lot of modern opera would sound much better if performed by jazz singers. Bel canto is not my cuppa I have to say; it's the vocal technique that most puts me off opera, and sounds ridiculous to my ears in most modern classical music - like a doric arch attached to a Le Corbusier or Frank Lloyd Wright building.
                Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 19-01-13, 22:55.

Comment

• Mandryka

I have been a fan since I was 17. Reading the early biog Buried Alive In The Blues didn't put me off her.

Shocking to think that she was only seven month older than my Mum!
                  Last edited by Guest; 20-01-13, 14:20.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                    Interesting - there seems to be a basic link of Jazz with folk, I guess Jazz may be argued to be a form of folk music. There is also a high end link to Classical music, in the sense that many classical musicians and listeners enjoy the music - in my case both Jazz and Classical music share a strong intellectual content (which may not be present in folk music).

There was a classical pianist, Gulda, featured on Jazz Record Requests last week, who was also a Jazz musician. Unfortunately in the case of Byron, I can't see in his biography anything remotely linking him to Jazz.

Ah well who cares. I'm just for new audible experiences!
                    You could try Keith Jarrett.

Comment

Working...
                    X