• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... more to the music than Leonard Feather writes

Alyn has many familiar British names in the playlist this week for me it is Mr Kofi's take on Monk ...

Geoffrey

Eric Dolphy

One of the most adventurous musicians of the 1960s, reedman Eric Dolphy combined free jazz and form with the likes of Charles Mingus, and in such trail-blazing albums as Out to Lunch, until his untimely death in 1964.
    nuff said

JLU

Claire Martin with music by guitarist Martin Taylor & clarinettist Alan Barnes recorded at the 2012 Scarborough Jazz Festival. Plus an interview with Roxy Music creator and frontman Bryan Ferry about his latest album ' The Jazz Age' which re-imagines his music in the style of the 1920's.
    alas i was given the Ferry for xmas by well meaning family .... and that is just what the Ferry is really ..... socks!

Jon3 will have old boredees in a complete tizzy wizzy; centrifuge is likely still listening to the complete works of AB
    mr improv will gyrate and King Kennytone will ahem a glottal stop or two ... no shortage of text

Prolific composer and multi-instrumentalist Anthony Braxton performs with his Falling River Music quartet, at a 400-year-old former pig barn in Austria! Braxton - a pioneer of avant-garde and improvised music - is well known for challenging traditional compositional methods with approaches such as graphic scores and instructions left open to the performers' interpretation. Falling River Music is the composer's latest system, and Braxton - performing on alto and soprano saxophones - is joined by three stars from the younger generation of New York's experimental scene: cornettist Taylor Ho Bynum, saxophonist Ingrid Laubrock and guitarist Mary Halvorson. Jazz on 3 trekked all the way to the tiny Austrian town of Ulrichsberg to record a stunning gig, in addition to which Braxton and his group explain the visual references and directions they use to create the music.
    i shall see if i find AB as disconnected and boring as i usually do ....

spoilt for sweeties this weekend innit!

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Interested to hear the Gulda piano trio - Blues for HG.

I don't know if Gulda ever hit the heights of Jazz Piano (great name for a Jazz musician however!), but I do know him from his recording of the complete Beethoven sonatas (Brilliant Classics), where I thought he was every bit the equal of Barenboim etc. Eh what chaps?

But I can't think of other musicians making the top in two separate genres - seems to me a danger of dividing available effort, and not achieving either aim.
    Last edited by Quarky; 12-01-13, 23:03.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

yeh Gulda was a real one off i think Oddball
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

and thanks to JLU & Claire for this

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
          Geoffrey

nuff said

Well I don't know about that Calum. There seems to be a lot more to say about Eric Dolphy. A gigantic talent, but more than that - he had it right! - a way through the free jazz "mess".

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Anthony Braxton's Falling River Music Quartet

What do you get if you cross one legendary composer, four abstract paintings and some of America's finest improvising musicians in a pig-barn in Upper Austria? The answer, you'll be relieved to hear, is a rather brilliant gig!

Anthony Braxton is a towering figure on the landscape of twentieth-century music in America, a musician who - having honed his craft amongst the jazz visionaries of Chicago's Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians - has developed a variety of musical languages that blend jazz, contemporary classical music and improvisation. Jazzatelier, on the other hand, is a humble four-hundred-year-old building on the remote landscape of the Rohrbach region's rolling countryside, but turned out to be an ideally-intimate performance space for Braxton's latest brand of composition: Falling River Music.

Interpreting his graphic scores (have look at Radio 3's Facebook Gallery for images) were a quartet of improvisers from the younger generation comprising guitarist Mary Halvorson and brass-virtuoso Taylor Ho-Bynum (both Braxton disciples who studied with him at Wesleyan University) alongside saxophonist Ingrid Laubrock. It is some performance - the music ebbs and flows in one single seventy-minute piece, with duet pairings and a variety of extended techniques contributing to a diversity of texture - and before it there's the chance to hear the band members quiz their leader on the creative processes that lay behind it.

Philosopher, improviser, intellectual, entertainer... Anthony Braxton is all of these things, whether in Schnapps-fuelled artistic debate or in the process of spontaneous music-making on stage. Join me and walk the line between "known, unknown and mystery" on Monday 14 January from 11pm, or listen online for seven days after broadcast.

Jez

true oddball but the comment was about the prog ...... for me Dolphy is the true great one ......

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

Sadly the Jazz Library Dolphy show does not seem to have survived as a podcast. But for those able to do a little ferreting about, Brian Morton and I came up with a rather different list of essentials http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzlibrary/pip/exc36/

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

I'll listen to the Braxton but mainly for his sidepeople
                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

I have the Dolphy jazz library on a freezer preserved C120. V. good and it picked up on a debt to Jackie Mclean on "Out to Lunch" that I hadn't really considered.

BN.

There's wonderful European footage of Eric with Mingus on You's a tube. The band sitting in a semi-circle around Mingus...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                    • Dec 2010

...also, 'tis pity the Prof's not playing his unfeasibly large saxophone. Bleedin' airline luggage restrictions!
                    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

nb Tom Adjustus started a thread on the Braxton here

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

well if, as per Goerge V, i was encouraged on my death bed to wake up and listen to Braxton i might well have sworn as well ..... however the Geoffrey offering about Mr Dolphy was very sympathetic and a delight to listen to ....

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                          Sadly the Jazz Library Dolphy show does not seem to have survived as a podcast. But for those able to do a little ferreting about, Brian Morton and I came up with a rather different list of essentials http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzlibrary/pip/exc36/
                          Many thanks for pointers Alyn.

In fact many of the titles are available on YouTube, and am currently listening to the full album of Out to Lunch.

Anyhow funny thing is, I recall listening to the 2008 broadcast of Jazz Library, and putting it down, because I could not abide the tone of Dolphy's bass-clarinet. Must have been listening to too much Brahms at the time! Strange how the ear (or at least my ear) gets trained to accept/ reject certain sounds - innit??

Comment

Working...
                          X