• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docwilko
    • Sep 2024

Mingus Jazz Workshop 1964-65 Mosaic Box

Happy New Year one and all.

I was lucky enough to receive this new Mingus set for xmas, and am listening to it very slowly and gradually. I am posting simply to ask if anyone on here is familiar with the original release of Town Hall Concert 1964 (the sextet recorded just before leaving for the European tour) and whether they think there might be a splice on the tape in So Long Eric at about 15.36 between the (apparent) end of Dolphy's solo and the immediate reappearance of the theme. There's no mention of it in Priestley's accompanying essay, but then he doesn't say anything at all about the second half of this performance, neither the Mingus-Richmond taded fours or Dolphy's extra-planetary excursion.
    It's either a pretty good splice or this band was even slicker than I previously thought. But it sounds like a splice and Mingus was pretty good at making great records by cutting parts out of solos (Boogie Stop Shuffle is perhaps the most amazing example of this, I think). I think the splice hypothesis is supported by the fact that Clifford Jordan's solo returns from double-time to a final closing chorus in the original time: and that final chorus is the one that I think Mingus spliced out from Dolphy's solo.

Maybe I should have called this post Meditations on a pair of tape-scissors?
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

happy new year docwilko i have no idea beyond Priestley on Mingus editing ... normally far too excited listening to Mingus to notice the joins!
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

since we are on the subject, I enjoyed the Mingus COTW a while back but remain a Mingus ignoramus.

Would anybody care to suggest a place to usefully start listening or buying, please?
      I don't mind a challenge !!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Anna

I have a cd of The Complete Town Hall Concert (Blue Note) which says it was recorded 1962 and then remastered. I shall have to look more closely tomorrow but it's one of my favourites.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          since we are on the subject, I enjoyed the Mingus COTW a while back but remain a Mingus ignoramus.

Would anybody care to suggest a place to usefully start listening or buying, please?
          I don't mind a challenge !!
          any and all recordings with Eric Dolphy ...
          any and all of the 4 and 5 * albums listed here

this is an essential compilation

and these are also top notch

Paris

UCLA

other essential albums are Blues & Roots; Mingus Ah Um; Black Saint and the Sinner Lady inter alia ...
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            any and all recordings with Eric Dolphy ...
            any and all of the 4 and 5 * albums listed here

this is an essential compilation

and these are also top notch

Paris

UCLA

other essential albums are Blues & Roots; Mingus Ah Um; Black Saint and the Sinner Lady inter alia ...
            Thanks a lot, Jazzer. Will certainly take care of my amazon voucher !!Think I will dip my toe, with your advice , and a little youtubing !!
            Cheers.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• docwilko

Anna, the 1962 Town Hall Concert album also features Eric Dolphy, but it was the 1964 Town Hall Concert album (released on Mingus' own label) to which I was referring.

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              I have a cd of The Complete Town Hall Concert (Blue Note) which says it was recorded 1962 and then remastered. I shall have to look more closely tomorrow but it's one of my favourites.

Comment

Working...
              X