X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Jazz is Dead....R4 redux today...

The Jazz is Dead R4 featurette is repeated again today, Sat, at 3.30pm.

I will be playing Rosco Mitchell/Lester Bowie's "Jazz Death" for the duration. Available on Yewtube. Brilliant and very funny.

BN.

There is no JRR as it's been killed by a falling Bizet. Again.

Geoff Jazz is tributing Dave Brubeck.

Julie Burchill has left the building....
  • grippie

There is no JRR as it's been killed by a falling Bizet. Again.

Duration: 5 hours, 30 minutes

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

As Paul Morley is so keen on John Surman, does anyone have an opinion on "Saltash Bells"?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

To whom was the programme targetted?. For the non-cognoscenti the question might as well have been, is beer dead?

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          As Paul Morley is so keen on John Surman, does anyone have an opinion on "Saltash Bells"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/wh5c
          The editor of Jazzwise magasine rated it as one of the best of2012 in most recent Jazz on 3. Not sure if the programme is still available. Not my precise cup of tea however.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/wh5c
            SB has been likened to "The Road to St Ives" - Surman's solo 1990 album - so it will be the same kind of stuff: folky melodies, atmospheric use of echo, synth loop pattern backings or emergings, "contained" modal improvisation, some will doubtless say "New Agey". You probably know the sort of thing...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

also in 2012 more zombies playing folk muzak

that bloke Merton should get out more ...
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Calum

I saw The Bad Plus + Joshua Redman last summer. Neither TBP nor Redman are amongst my favourites yet I felt this combination inspired the quartet to levels of creativity I hadn't expected. This was one of the best gigs lsst year.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                  Calum

I saw The Bad Plus + Joshua Redman last summer. Neither TBP nor Redman are amongst my favourites yet I felt this combination inspired the quartet to levels of creativity I hadn't expected. This was one of the best gigs lsst year.
                  Lsst year - shounds ggood!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

try these Mr Merton

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Tom Audustus

I like opera and jazz.

I prefer my jazz live with a glass of ale in my hand. Off to The Bull in Colchester tomorrow (Thursday) for their monthly jam session and then the the Fleece on Friday to see Martin Speake.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tom Audustus View Post
                        I like opera and jazz.

I prefer my jazz live with a glass of ale in my hand. Off to The Bull in Colchester tomorrow (Thursday) for their monthly jam session and then the the Fleece on Friday to see Martin Speake.
                        East Anglia is a big place... to hear Martin Speake???

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

good to see you back S_A trust you are well and life goes well ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            good to see you back S_A trust you are well and life goes well ...
                            Better for some than others eh, Calum? Just in receipt of Heining's new book on British jazz 1960-75, which is going to prove hard to put down (in more than one sense!) - so can't complain, thanks!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

The free jazz/free improv trumpeter Paul Shearsmith has the original sign of The Little Theatre Club in his flat, and tells me he has no idea what do do with it! I told him I haven't room in my mansion.

On a distantly related topic, if not geographically, this intended exhibition on a much-missed institution may be of interest if the instigator gets enough support:

Is anybody from the old R3 bored in touch with Trevor Cooper, anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                              X