X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Jazz is dead...or is it?

Sorry for the intrusion - and Happy '13 jazzers - but I found Paul Morley's essay on jazz on R4 New Year's Morn erudite and very interesting - whether he's right or not I have no idea. And for someone with little knowledge on the subject I felt I'd learned something and I liked Morley's approach. Actually I'd like to hear him do a bit more on the subject.
    Paul Morley tests the contention that jazz is dead, a victim of its own history.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

"If jazz is dead, then what am I doing? Flipping burgers?" - Marcus Roberts.

Although, as it widens perhaps it thins. Plus ca change. Plus le soup.

BN.

Btw, Geoff Dyer is so up his own absurd self referencing post modern arse, how would he know daylight?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

And rule of sociological thumb...ignore any journalistic hype about anything tagged, "the death of..."

BN.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        And rule of sociological thumb...ignore any journalistic hype about anything tagged, "the death of..."

BN.
        I'm sure you're right BN - the programme was certainly more 'What is jazz now?' but I don't think that's going to sell any flippin' burgers to a R4 audience, so they go for the tabloid heading. That wasn't what drew me to it - I just happened to be in the car with the radio on.
        The point seemed to be that jazz had moved so fast through the late 40s to the late 60s that it now struggles about where it's going now and whether it has a purpose. That may not be important and certainly Morley did not suggest in any way that it detract from the legacy of the music, but that jazz players nowadays have a completely different background, life experience from Hawkins, Davis, Monk that the music struggled to fit the mix of the classic jazz with the now. Has it become preservation of the past at the expense of pushing new boundaries? For me it asked some interesting questions - whether it provided answers is another thing.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

A comparison piece:

The Unthanks sisters tell Paul Morley about growing up in the folk scene and why they don't care if they upset folk purists
          Last edited by Guest; 03-01-13, 03:24.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

John, jazz a revolutionary/innovative force came directly from varieties of BLACK experience, economic, social, musical. Not a R4 popular WHITE view and perhaps now redundant as rap and populist mindlessness debases all...in ALL cultures.

R4 is certainly DEAD.

BN.

BN.

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Will have to listen to Paul Morley when I have a liitle time.

However I prefer to think that Jazz, and many other forms of music are entering a consolidation or equalisation phase (certainly that is true of my ears).

There has been so much ground-breaking revolution over the past few decades, that I doubt whether there is any ground left to break.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Nelson George - "The Death of Rhythm and Blues" for a considered take on all this. For once not empty journo hyperbole.

BN.

But dont panic, Ian will be along soon to explain how Bill Frizzled invented the Fender Strat....and life\jazz\The Shadows has never been better. Ever.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                  Will have to listen to Paul Morley when I have a liitle time.

However I prefer to think that Jazz, and many other forms of music are entering a consolidation or equalisation phase (certainly that is true of my ears).

There has been so much ground-breaking revolution over the past few decades, that I doubt whether there is any ground left to break.
                  And yet, and yet... never in my 50 years of listening and following news developments have I witnessed larger numbers of young musicians being drawn into playing jazz and putting their own stamp on it.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Please send esoteric SAE....
                    bong ching

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Im not sure if jazz is dead but this debate about its mortness is certainly very tired...

Is European Classical music dead after atonality and Cage's silence...Is art dead after Duchamp's urinal? Is Elvis dead or has he just left the toilet seat midway thro a burger?

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

paul morley is dead ....

i am dead nearly ....

jazz is not a plant nor an entity it neither spins nor toils nor exists or fails to exist

if it is will someone tell jex
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Yes new accordian and singing saw stuff keeps it so alive( it neither spins nor toils nor exists or fails to exist
                          point taken) ....cheers jerz
                          bong ching

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

I hope Jazz recovers in time for Lianne Carroll's concert tomorrow night, if anyone can bring it round she can.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

"I dont know where jazz is going...maybe to hell. You cant make it go anywhere...it just happens." - Theolonious Monk.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                              X