X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Christmas presents

Thought I would start a thread to see if anyone received any CD's for Christmas and what their impressions of them were.

For my part, I received three. The best of the bunch is the new Kurt Elling disc which offers a very wide range of material ranging from The Monkee's "Pleasnt Valley Sunday" through to Ellington's "Tootie for Cootie" as well as a couple of standards. The rest is pop material from the 60's and 70's re-cast as contemporary jazz. As ever, the arrangements by Lawrence Hopgood are the icing on the cake.

The most bizaree record is Dave Douglas' "Be Still" which is a moving tridbute to his late mother and features a number of hymns and folk material like "Barbera Allen." This disc features a new quintet with the tenor taken by Jon Irabagon who will be familiar to Calum of no one else. Bizarrely, the group is rounded off by folk singer Aoife O' Donovan who sounds like a purer version of Gillian Welch and the contrast with the jazz group is very marked indeed. At first, I felt this record was a little disappointing due to it's melancholy tone but repeated listening reveals this to be a very good record indeed. It is almost a folk / hymn equivalent of Miles' "Sketches of Spain."

My third disc was the new Donny McCaslin. (Where is Charles, btw?) This record is a bit of a shock being a tough and uncompromising slab of jazz rock. It sounds like the kind of jazz rock that was being played in the 1980's with the band tight and inflexible and having very little to do with the kind of jazz you usually associate with him. I'm staggered that McCaslin produced a record like this as it is so removed from his other work - it was quite a hard listen on first play. MCCaslin's last CD similarly did not appeal on first listen but subsequently revealed itself to be a very solid disc. This will probably need a few more plays but I can't stress how markedly different this is.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Two special gifts I bought myself...

Godards "A Bout De Souffle" remastered dvd....just wonderful. Martial Solal's score holds it all together with that piano figure.

And "Barney!" Live French Fontana album from 59 with Barney Wilen, Kenny Dorham (joyous) , Duke Jordan, Daniel Humair etc...you can smell and taste hip Paris of that time ...

Minus the onions,

A bientot.

BN.
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 02-01-13, 18:49.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

no jazz in my stockings this year ... but Isabelle Faust Bach Sonatas and Partitas Vol 2 was and is awesome

a book called Two Cheers For Anarchism ....good read so far ....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• grippie

No cd, no vinyl not even a nice lump of shellac

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by grippie View Post
          No cd, no vinyl not even a nice lump of shellac
          ...or even an amorphous download?

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

I got the Azimuth 3-disc set on ECM (the first three LPs they recorded, the third with added Ralph Towner)

I also got a Kangol hat (not a beret but I'm not ruling it out)
            Last edited by Tenor Freak; 02-01-13, 19:53. Reason: V7b9-I progressions in all keys
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

This Christmas I have been mostly practising my tenor down in the shed. I have just come in from playing melodic minor and diminished scales in fourths - in all twelve keys, obviously.

Paul Morley may suggest jazz is dead, but it ain't down my shed (just ask the neighbours)
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Tom Audustus

I was given a copy of "Trad Dads, Dirty Boppers and Free Fusioneers - British Jazz 1960 - 1975" by Duncan Heining. Looks interesting.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  a book called Two Cheers For Anarchism ....good read so far ....
                  maybe you should pass it on to our Scottish friend once you have finished ?

I got a new solid state recorder and then went to North Wales to record some old slate quarries

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I treated myself to a Beecham box. 10 CDs of various pieces, two Haydn,two Mozart symphonies, Sibelius no 2, his beautiful Schubert no 5, lots more. Just come from this country, 4 days, no bother, half price too.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

I told my wife I was going curtail my CD buying, having far too many already. Hoist with own petard.

Comment

• PUSB
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        I told my wife I was going curtail my CD buying, having far too many already. Hoist with own petard.
                        Know how you feel but I received 10 Freedom Summers (Wadada Leo Smith) - very impressed with it - very rich and complex.

Comment

Working...
                        X