X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Art Pepper's Croydon Concert

In a review of Art Pepper's 'Unreleased Vol VII'(Jazz Journal Jan 2013) Steve Voce writes that "the greatest Pepper on disc is the BBC's Keith Stewart-produced, beautifully recorded Croydon concert of 14 May 1980".
    An internet search has failed to produce any trace of this BBC recording. Does anyone know the title/catalogue number of this BBC CD if it exists?
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

I thought Laurie Pepper had now released this on CD? As your ref above? Could be mistaken.

I had it on (off-air) cassette recorded direct from the R3 broadcast but gave it away via the old R3 board. Art in fine form but not too keen on Bob Magnassun's "rubber" bass. That also wrecked Art's "Among Friends" album with Russ Freeman and Frank Butler.

BN.
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 28-12-12, 12:18.

Comment

• Flyposter
      • Dec 2010

JR

I think there may be a confusion over dates here. The May 14th concert was in 1981. This link is from an email that I have recently received from the company that doesn’t pay taxes:

I have a recording of some of the concert , as Peter Clayton used it in a sort of obituary about Art in 1982 (PC also says the year was 1981.

Maybe I should not say this, but if any AP fans likes to contact me…..
      Last edited by Flyposter; 28-12-12, 12:55.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        I thought Laurie Pepper had now released this on CD? As your ref above? Could be mistaken.

I had it on (off-air) cassette recorded direct from the R3 broadcast but gave it away via the old R3 board. Art in fine form but not too keen on Bob Magnassun's "rubber" bass. That also wrecked Art's "Among Friends" album with Russ Freeman and Frank Butler.

BN.
        would seem so El Senor
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Flyposter
          • Dec 2010

JR

Thinking about this, maybe Mr. Voce has the source wrong as well as the date.

Two quotes about the issued recording:

” Recorded from the soundboard by a dedicated fan” All About Jazz

“The tapes for the Croydon concert were provided to Laurie by an unnamed fan, an obsessive collector of bootleg Pepper concerts” Amazon.com website.

So the issued recording is probably not from the BBC, although they recorded and broadcast the concert. Thus there are probably 2 recordings of the concert

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flyposter View Post
            JR

bootleg Pepper concerts
            Definitely not to be sniffed at....

New Year Resolution: I MUST STOP POSTING CRUMMY PUNS ON THE FORUM

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Flyposter View Post
              JR

I think there may be a confusion over dates here. The May 14th concert was in 1981. This link is from an email that I have recently received from the company that doesn’t pay taxes:

I have a recording of some of the concert , as Peter Clayton used it in a sort of obituary about Art in 1982 (PC also says the year was 1981.

Maybe I should not say this, but if any AP fans likes to contact me…..
              Thanks Flyposter. I think Steve Voce could be wrong about the date and source. I know a version of the Croydon concert was issued on Widow's Taste. Have contacted JJ's 'Jazz Information' to see if they can sort it out.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

When Laurie Pepper first put out feelers for this, she asked if anyone had info, recordings, identify photos etc. from the 13th.

Did Art play two nights?

BN.

AND...huge admirer of Pepper tho I am...this is certainly NOT his best live recording....his In San Francisco is far better and the Vanguard tapes have a wonderful tension\edge with Elvin Jones and the enormous plus of George Cables, "Mr Beautiful", as Art called him.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

Probably old news to most here, but I found this whilst searching the 'Tube for Warne Marsh videos:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Tom Audustus

You might like to take a look at http://straightlife.info/

IMO the complete Village Vanguard live CD set (9 cds) is the definitive Art Pepper.

Comment

Working...
                    X