• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

a well staring at the sky

Alyn has some classic tracks and has posted his playlist on da bored [linked] many thanks for the courtesy Alyn NB Pete La Roca track

Geoffrey is doing Jimmy Rushing ....no playlist no link what would be the point

JLU is interesting for vocalist aficionados

Jamie Davis holds a key position amongst male vocalists with his incredibly rich bass-baritone voice. He began singing (Latin liturgical music, Bach, Schumann and Mahler) in his father's church choir before joining the US Army to perform jazz, swing and blues. Today his fascinating repertoire encompasses Cole Porter, Stevie Wonder and Charles Mingus and highlights an ability to convincingly pay tribute to the past whilst remaining very much in the present.
    And the festival curator, Georgia Mancio performed with Guitarist John Parricelli who began his career in 1982 and was one of the founding members of the ground-breaking British big band, Loose Tubes, with whom he recorded three albums. He has worked in an astonishing range of settings with artists including: Annie Whitehead, Kenny Wheeler, Norma Winstone, Lee Konitz and Paul Motian.
    Jon3 does the first of two annual reviews
    In the first of a two-part review of the year, Jez Nelson presents the best live music of 2012, featuring tracks from Jazz on 3 performances and sessions. Guest critics Kevin Le Gendre and John Fordham will also be on hand to select their highlights from the broad range of British and international artists who have appeared on the programme. Next week's programme covers the best albums of the year

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Henry Grimes looks about twelve and Mr. Rollins makes it look so effortless.

BN.

Reading of review of Dave Liebman's new autobiog where he says Newk was always a brain led player whereas sometimes with Trane, its the fingers.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

As the year draws to a close, it’s time to sit down and write the report cards for Jazz on 3’s class of 2012. While not exactly handing out grades (the best jazz never sticks to the syllabus!) I’ll nevertheless be working out which gigs made a star impression, be that in moments of quiet genius or crowd-pleasing showmanship.
      How do you condense an amazing year of live performances down into just one 90-minute show? Well, I’ll be figuring that out with the help of Kevin Le Gendre and John Fordham who join me in the studio to give their thoughts on their picks. Tune in for music from young breakthroughs Beats & Pieces and Roller Trio (the latter’s BBC Introducing set at Manchester Jazz Festival was a real knockout) as well as stellar moments from more established acts amongst them Bill Frisell, Roscoe Mitchell gig and Matthew Shipp.

From packed clubs and concert-hall stages to giant circus tents, Jazz on 3 was there to capture some of the best gigs of the year and you can be reminded of the finest of them on Monday 17 December at 11pm; or if you prefer, listen online for seven days after broadcast.
      the newsletter from Jez
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        the newsletter from Jez
        Not for once am I glad not to be in the commentator's box.

Comment

• handsomefortune

From packed clubs and concert-hall stages to giant circus tents, Jazz on 3 was there to capture some of the best gigs of the year and you can be reminded of the finest of them on Monday 17 December at 11pm

so presumptuous! though an elephant's call can be really invigorating, so i listened out especially - but must have missed it by mistake.

Jazz on 3’s class of 2012. imo always a potentially dodgy mission, and typically, if that's jez's 'class of 2012' then he needs to get out a lot more. (hurumph).

but last night's hotchpotch of a programme was heaps better than last week's, as far as my ears were concerned....even with the mr wonder touched, disney jazz of mr glasper in jez's 'class'.

mr marsh and crew were about as 'far out' as the prog got, with a more than welcome description of tony marsh's 'outsider' objectives, before he was taken too soon by the grim reaper.

the jlu about jim hall's guitar playing was a well made programme imo, though i haven't as yet listened to this week's focus on jazz vocalists, but thanks (as always) for the reminder calum da jazbo.

i haven't listened to saturday jazz progs on r3 for ages - perhaps the eczemas holiday will change that routine?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

perhaps the eczemas holiday will change that routine?
            nah mate very much doubt it ... banished, we are banished .... is what it is ....

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
              From packed clubs and concert-hall stages to giant circus tents, Jazz on 3 was there to capture some of the best gigs of the year and you can be reminded of the finest of them on Monday 17 December at 11pm

so presumptuous! though an elephant's call can be really invigorating, so i listened out especially - but must have missed it by mistake.

Jazz on 3’s class of 2012. imo always a potentially dodgy mission, and typically, if that's jez's 'class of 2012' then he needs to get out a lot more. (hurumph).

i haven't listened to saturday jazz progs on r3 for ages - perhaps the eczemas holiday will change that routine?
              Still listening to Jezz's programme, and not really disagreeing with Handsomefortune, but perhaps approaching this from a different angle.

The amount of music that is termed "jazz" seems to have increased by an order of magnitude recently. Jazz has always encompassed a wide variety of types - ODJB, Pasadena Roof Orchestra, Benny Goodman, Coltrane, William Ware - but these days there is a huge amount of music that is really soul, R&B, and just plain pop that terms itself Jazz -just try listening to Jazz FM!

So perhaps at least the expression "Jazz" is coming more and more to the attention of the general public, even if the music itself is extremely diluted.

Comment

Working...
              X