X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Best Jazz Albuim of 2012

I suppose it's about the time of year to start making suggestions for the FOR3 messageboard jazz album of the year.

This year I've probably snapped up more re-issues than anything else and the best "new" albums I managed to lay my hands on all transpire to have actually been released late last year. If you work on a strict criteria , I would have to say that the stand out jazz album of 2012 has been Pat Metheny's "Unity" project which is well and truly within the comfortable, contempoary mainstream yet still manages to throw in a few "outside" moments. With a lineup that includes Chris Potter and Antonio Sanchez, this lives up to expectations. I thought it would be excellent and there were no real surprises. There are two CD's that I've bought as Christmas presents which may turn out to be pretty sensational. One of these is the big band led by Bobby Sanabria whose discs have the feel of a Latinised Mingus BB and other is by singer Cheryl Bentyne, the clips of which sound very impressive.

However, I would have to say that the four best albums that I acquired this year were actually issued in 2011. The most recent of these is Nicole Mitchell's "Awakening" which reflects the flautist's desire to produce a more swining , jazz album and somehow manages to produce an album which I feel will appeal to more traditionalists as well as anyone looking for something a bit more adventurous. At the same time, Mitchell probably represents the apogee of jazz on her instrument - a kind of more technically assured and more pleasingly - tone Eric Dolphy. I would also have to say that the latest Aldo Romano record "Inner Smile" is hugely agreable and has the kind of autumnal warmth about it. This is a stellar band with Enrico Rava being more unbooted away from ECM and also including Baptiste Tortignon's piano which very much impressed. The track has a defining version of "My funny valentine" that eschews the melody in exchange for some fascinating improvisation.

Of the newish disc, however, the nod has to go to David Binney's "Graylen Epicentre" which features a floating roster of musicians such as Ambrose Akinmusire, Chris Potter, Brian Blade, etc in a wide range of styles that push the boundaries of post-bop. I've been listening to alot of David Binney this year and he is something of a revelation. His music yields something new upon every listen and is writing music which redefines the way small groups play jazz. "Backfooted town" is a good album and offers the chance to hear the altoist within a more "traditional" context. "Gralyen Epicentre" is perhaps a little more challenging featuring line ups that often include two drummers. Binney is nothing less than a genius. Easily the best contempoary CD I've acquired this year. Here is the standout track for me:-

With regards to re-issues of older material, the winner by a country mile is the Miles Davis in Europe Bootleg Volume One. Three CD's and one DVD of the greatest small group in the history of jazz going through the paces in concert with such verge and originality it makes the more celebrated studio versions of these tunes seem like a warm up. This is an essential puchase. Volume Two with the quintet with Shorter, Corea, Holland and DeJohnette is released in 2013.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Agree totally about the Miles live set. Staggering stuff and the dvd is fascinating for how Miles held the stage.

BN.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I like Jacob Garchik - "The Heavens : The Atheist Gospel Trombone Album" -

The title track from Jacob Garchik's 2012 release "The Heavens: The Atheist Gospel Trombone Album" on Yestereve Records.Jacob Garchik: trombones, baritones,...
      Last edited by Guest; 12-12-12, 22:23.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

On the Miles Davis set, this seems a repackaged version of previously issued tracks.

I have most or all of this on a box set "Miles Davis - The Complete Columbia Collection Album" - bought a couple of years back. At that time it cost around £100 I recall - but now you can pay anything up to £750!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

The other thing about the Live box is how cleanly Miles plays compared with the wonderful Plugged Nickel sets...and Tony William's constanly agitating right foot...he must have developed tendons like steel rope!

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            one DVD of the greatest small group in the history of jazz going through the paces in concert with such verge and originality
            ... they were surely on the grass

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

... bought my regular Binney McCaslin etc from emusic and dave Douglas and others but the album i go to most often is from last year Craig Taborn Avenging Angel ... might just be a timeless masterpiece

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

John Fordham's pick of the 5 top albums
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  ... bought my regular Binney McCaslin etc from emusic and dave Douglas and others but the album i go to most often is from last year Craig Taborn Avenging Angel ... might just be a timeless masterpiece

That track, in the way it starts, reminds me of a remark of Debussy to Stravinsky around the time of The Rite of Spring: "Hey man, you're getting too close to the side of Schoenberg. Far out, man". (Rough translation, from distant memory).

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

My favourite CDs of 2012:

ALBERT AYLER ~ STOCKHOLM, BERLIN 1966(HATOLOGY)
                    CECIL TAYLOR ~ FLY! FLY! FLY! FLY! FLY!
                    JOE HARRIOTT ~ MOVEMENT/HIGH SPIRITS(VOCALION)
                    FRANK MORGAN ~ REFLECTIONS(CONTEMPORARY/OJCCD)
                    WALTER BENTON ~ OUT OF THIS WORLD(FRESH SOUND)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Julius Hemphill's gripping avant-garde classic from 1972, recently reissued:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Here's Birmingham Post jazz critic Peter Bacon's favourites of 2012: http://thejazzbreakfast.com/festive-fifty/

Overall, I think it's been a pretty good year for new jazz on CD, but reading a list like Peter Bacon's makes me realise just how much has come out that I've not heard.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

what an amazingly good and interesting list Byas'd, many thanks!!!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

Byas

I received two of the CDs on this list for Christmas. So far I've played about half of the Kurt Elling which is terrific. He totally re-invents The Monkees "Pleasant Valley Sunday" into a Stepford Wives -ish nightmare. The record is more guitar-driven than usual. I've not played the Dave Douglas yet nor the new Donny MacCaslin which I was also given.

Comment

Working...
                            X