X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Sep 2024

Tears to my eyes!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
    Thanks for posting that, Clive.

Tears of a different kind? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n7BCUVJkhU
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Clive

Curious to see the link on your Youtube clip as thuis always brings tears of laughter to my eyes:-

Comment

• clive heath

this is massive self-indulgence but how I got to this clip is as follows;
        I have some Jimmy Smith, Freddie Roach and Shirley Scott, but feel that I am woefully under-represented in quality hammond organ having loved the incidental groove of Georgie Fame in (e.g.) "Fame at Last" with its non-PC titles "Doin' the Monkey" and "It's Monkey Time" and standout tracks "Point of No Return" and "Moody's Mood for Love", so remembering that Laurie Holloway (Mr M.M.) produced a stunning solo ( OK probably on electric piano!!) on "Teach Me Tonight" I youtubed it unsuccessfully but came up with the clip that brought "tears ...." and another MM & Dud number

Rare 1966 performance on "Not Only, But Also" with Marion Montgomery and Dudley Moore. Introduced by Peter Cook.

which I hope you will also enjoy. On first arriving in London, I made a beeline to Ronnie Scott's (then in a basement) to hear Johnny (as he then was) Dankworth and his band whose music had penetrated darkest Wiltshire. Interval pianists were IIRC Dave Lee and Dudley (whose bass player was a Humphrey??) and who punned titles e.g. "Pass me the Pimple Knife". ..and.. here we go off on a tangent as I had heard a Granta flimsy (like the Private Eye Christmas giveaways) by Jonathan Miller*, it was a cinch to buy tickets for the first week of "Beyond the Fringe" having some knowledge of two of the 4-man cast!!!
        *The Army reports to King George that General Wolfe is Mad, "If so, I order that he bite my other generals"; Miller knocks on the door of G.E.Moore's study "Come in", "I waited awhile to test the validity of this proposition"

So. Any suggestions for Hammond Organ delights???
        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-12, 10:37. Reason: wrong king?

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

As a stranger to the jazz boards, and to most jazz, I'd never heard of Marion Montgomery - but what a beautiful voice and style, and a lovely duo with Dudley.

Re your post no 4, Clive, I recently attended An Audience with Jonathan Miller in Southampton. He looks rather different from his appearance in BTF; but still a witty and interesting speaker. ('People ask me if I'm an atheist; I say "Well, I'm a gravitationist".')

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Clive,

You might enjoy this programme from a few years back about the Hammond organ in jazz. It features two of the leading present-day players, Dr Lonnie Smith and Joey DeFrancesco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2cCLOfulU4

If you don't want to sit through the whole half-hour, here's one of the performances from it:

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

This is my favourite organ jazz record:-

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

..ahem, not that i am at all modest but this will shame even me ....back in the 70s when i was attractive to ladies Ms Montgomery singled me out of the audience in the Holland Park concert arena and sang to me ... my sisters wet themselves laughing at my blushing .... of course she sang summat like hey good lookin ..

back to favourite Hammond B exponents

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• clive heath

Thanks for all three clips which I've enjoyed to the extent of adding to Christmas lists, listening now to "Dynasty" which I'd forgotten about. Stan Getz with Eddie Louiss at the console, recorded at Ronnie's, we were there for one of the three nights (produced by someone called George Martin) from which the 2 CDs come. Also; appearing on the You-tube end of track display was "Brown Sugar" from Freddie Roach and Joe Henderson, another great combination on Blue Note and worth a listen if you don't know of Mr Roach.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Those of an age will remember..."Cant Sit Down Pts 1 and 2.", by the Phil Upchurch Combo. HMV 45, 1959. Actually it was by Cornell Mulgrew on organ but he was kicked off to Vietnam. One of Georgie Fame's best stories...

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

And then there's, "Ram, Bunk, Shush", by Bill Doggett...soon cleared the Bobby Vee fans off to the kitchen,,,

BN.

Comment

• clive heath

Billy Connolly on the box now who claims he overtook Peter Ustinov in the talk shows guest seat, hence more "tears in my eyes"

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

In the end finding that the Hammond organ selections were prohibitively expensive if indeed available I settled for the Beiderbeck Three Series Boxed Set ( Alan Plater, not Paul Whiteman) but have not given up on the others, time for a visit to Paul, my local LP man.

...........and the original you-tube has been withdrawn by Laurie Holloway but he has replaced it and this link will take you there

Rare 1966 performance on "Not Only, But Also" with Marion Montgomery and Dudley Moore.Learn about Marion Montgomery's music charity: http://www.mhmt.co.uk

can this be edited into #1 ?
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-01-13, 10:20.

Comment

• John Wright
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
                          Oh, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Laurence Holloway"

Edit: oh sorry got the second link now, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8Va_z-2bA

Stonking mute cornet from Dud!
                          - - -

John W

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Yes the link has been removed. But it is possible to insert links in edited posts; the problem being that amended messages do not appear as new, but stay where they are, which means that the alteration can easily be missed.

S-A

Comment

Working...
                            X