X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

Vinyl Report on Weather Report

I have been digging out my collection of LPs recently, and realised that I own six Weather Report LPs. So I thought I'd do a series of mini-reviews, taking them in chronological order. This is not a comprehensive review of all their albums, only those which I have on vinyl. (I also have one on cassette somewhere. Remember home taping killed music, kids.)

Listening to them it seems the main story arc is the evolution of Zawinul's keys, and their ever-expanding role. At the beginning, he plays a Rhodes electric piano through distortion and wah-wah effects to achieve sharp jabbing chords during improvised sections, or shimmering textures. He plays the effects as much as the keyboard. He's got an organ too but he still plays acoustic piano a lot. Then the mix of keyboards changes by mid-70s when he gets his first monophonic synthesiser, the ARP 2600 (in fact he often played two of them). It's not until 1976 when he got his first polyphonic synthesier made by Oberheim. By the late 70s he still hadn't gone completely electronic, and plays acoustic piano still. He managed that only by 1984. It seems to me that Zawinul was hankering after the expressiveness of a horn.

Wayne Shorter's role seems to be one of a bystander most of the time, but one ready to chip in with some trenchant remark when he sees fit. His playing style on tenor doesn't change much; then again he sticks with soprano mostly. That must be because it cuts through amplified instruments better than a tenor, which gets lost in the mid-range.

So the first LP on the turntable is I Sing the Body Electric.

This LP is programmed in two halves (no shit...). Side 1 comprises four studio tracks recorded in New York City in late 1971 and early 1972; side 2 comprises a selection of tracks from a live session in Tokyo, recorded in January 1972. I bought this LP years ago and wasn't ready for the harshness of the band; it's not helped by the crappy quality of the NYC studio tracks. There's none of the gloss that attracted me to their music, and which came later. Those side 1 tracks are impressionistic but variable quality. The Moors is fine, thanks to the Ralph Towner intro, and Unknown Soldier has its moments, though it's too blatant an "anti-war" piece. Side 2 is the better of the two, by far; this was one kicking live band. Listening to it now I can hear the resemblance to the late Miles quintets (Chick Corea on Rhodes, Dave Holland on acoustic bass). Miroslav Vitous is on fine form here.

Listen to this example:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

Next up (and missing out a big gap including Mysterious Traveller which I really must get one day) is Tale Spinnin' from 1975.

I was first introduced to this LP by Tim Whitehead who played me, and other members of a jazz workshop he ran in the late '80s, the classic Man in the Green Shirt on cassette as we were trying to play that particular tune. This was more like the Weather Report I was familiar with; polished grooves and orchestral textures, and fine compositions too. This LP is less well-known than certain others, it seems. A pity, because there's some wonderful stuff here. It's an all-electric band by now as Alphonso Johnson has replaced Vitous. (The numerous personnel changes are too tiresome to repeat here, so if you want a blow-by-blow account I suggest you look up Wikipedia like everyone else.) He's not as busy as a certain other bass-player whom I'll mention in the next post, but produces some damn fine, unobtrusive grooves to support the soloists. Wayne Shorter is on tenor a lot here, and on my favourite track where he produces the goods and no mistake.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

The third of my discs is another top classic LP: Black Market from 1976.

It's the first Weather Report record to feature Jaco Pastorius, on two tracks (Barbary Coast and Cannon Ball, the latter a tribute to the recently-deceased Cannonball Adderley). Alphonso Johnson plays on the rest, and does a cracking job. Jaco is still the new boy and doesn't try to overshadow the others; on Barbary Coast he mainly just lays down a trademark bassline, playing off the keys and the sax. The arrangements are tight but there's still lots of blowing which enables the band to stretch out, for example on the set-closer, Herandu and Gibraltar which finishes Side 1.

One oddity about this LP is that it features the only track where Wayne does not play a saxophone. He plays a Lyricon, a wind-controlled monosynth which has the fingering of a saxophone. A lot of other players tinkered with it (even St Sonny himself IIRC) but it didn't catch on and the manufacturers Computone went out of business. I recall Wayne complaining in an interview that the Lyricon was prone to malfunctioning in live performances, which is why he stayed with his saxophones. A pity really, as he plays beautifully on the haunting Three Clowns.

This is an immensely enjoyable set.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

Fourth in line is the album that started it all for me, my gateway drug into jass: Heavy Weather

I still love this LP for the strength of its compositions, the sheen of Ron Malo's engineering and the superb execution of the ideas. If there's a clunker on the album it's the percussion duo Rumba Mama which I normally skip over. I'm not so keen on the famous Birdland, but the rest of Side 1 is crammed with gems such as Zawinul's A Remark You Made, Pastorius' Teen Town and Shorter's sublime Harlequin. Zawinul still plays a lot of acoustic piano on this LP, which I think softens the edges. Side 2 closes with the brilliant Havona, composed by Jaco. In fact Jaco really comes into his own on this LP, but not I think for his soloing, but his support for the rest of the band. His basslines on Harlequin are just so apposite, especially on the repeat of the first melody line (listen at 0:55 in the sample below), and where he adds in little twists such as some double-stops to punctuate the composition. Also noteworthy is Alex Acuna's drumming on this track, particularly towards the end where he builds up the rhythms but keeps the pulse the same, yet plays with a deft touch - this is no dull rock beat.

This is easily my favourite of the Weather Report albums so it's no surprise that it gets a as well as a and a and a

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Christ Bruce, pearls before swine...well ME for a start.

I always thought WR was a waste of Crazy Wayne's saxo talent...will relisten with open EARS.

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Off your thread a bit, but I picked up "Introducing...Wayne Shorter" today. Vee Jay 1959.

Wonderful stuff.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              Off your thread a bit, but I picked up "Introducing...Wayne Shorter" today. Vee Jay 1959.

Wonderful stuff.

BN.
              I've always been in two minds about Weather Report, in general preferring the early more improvisational to the later stuff; I'd be interested in any views you might have on TF's links.
              Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 01-12-12, 19:14.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

SA, I'm the wrong one to ask. Maybe generational but although I am a great admirer of Wayne, Joe Zav plugged into the synth/keyboard/national grid leaves me stone cold dead...

....In the market.

I didnt even like him much with Adderly.

BN.

WILL re-listen past the synth etc., but I always felt Wayne became more a colourist with WR, a very long way from the All Seeing Eye soloist, for example.
                Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 01-12-12, 19:42.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                  I have been digging out my collection of LPs recently, and realised that I own six Weather Report LPs. So I thought I'd do a series of mini-reviews, taking them in chronological order. This is not a comprehensive review of all their albums, only those which I have on vinyl. (I also have one on cassette somewhere. Remember home taping killed music, kids.)

Listening to them it seems the main story arc is the evolution of Zawinul's keys, and their ever-expanding role. At the beginning, he plays a Rhodes electric piano through distortion and wah-wah effects to achieve sharp jabbing chords during improvised sections, or shimmering textures. He plays the effects as much as the keyboard. He's got an organ too but he still plays acoustic piano a lot. Then the mix of keyboards changes by mid-70s when he gets his first monophonic synthesiser, the ARP 2600 (in fact he often played two of them). It's not until 1976 when he got his first polyphonic synthesier made by Oberheim. By the late 70s he still hadn't gone completely electronic, and plays acoustic piano still. He managed that only by 1984. It seems to me that Zawinul was hankering after the expressiveness of a horn.

Wayne Shorter's role seems to be one of a bystander most of the time, but one ready to chip in with some trenchant remark when he sees fit. His playing style on tenor doesn't change much; then again he sticks with soprano mostly. That must be because it cuts through amplified instruments better than a tenor, which gets lost in the mid-range.

So the first LP on the turntable is I Sing the Body Electric.

This LP is programmed in two halves (no shit...). Side 1 comprises four studio tracks recorded in New York City in late 1971 and early 1972; side 2 comprises a selection of tracks from a live session in Tokyo, recorded in January 1972. I bought this LP years ago and wasn't ready for the harshness of the band; it's not helped by the crappy quality of the NYC studio tracks. There's none of the gloss that attracted me to their music, and which came later. Those side 1 tracks are impressionistic but variable quality. The Moors is fine, thanks to the Ralph Towner intro, and Unknown Soldier has its moments, though it's too blatant an "anti-war" piece. Side 2 is the better of the two, by far; this was one kicking live band. Listening to it now I can hear the resemblance to the late Miles quintets (Chick Corea on Rhodes, Dave Holland on acoustic bass). Miroslav Vitous is on fine form here.

Having been into Miles, Herbie's Sextet and Mahavishnu, I clearly remember not having "got" the collective improvising approach of early WR until later, when the band went in the more composition-steered direction illustrated in your later clips, TF - at the time describing it as "no, you first", in which nobody let themselves develop individual continuity a la Coltrane - an approach that influenced quite a few British bands at the time, notably John Surman's Morning Glory, most not recorded but some broadcast. Later one regretted its abandonment, notwithstanding the quality of Z's compositions (mainly) and sense of colour, understanding it as ways of circumventing any individual overdetermining the direction by feeding ideas to be taken up, a more relaxed version of one kind of free improv. The energy displayed here carries it as much as the feeding off as described as well as thereof, and was evidently there from the first takes of Directions by Miles's studio band back in '69, the first time I think Wayne recorded on soprano.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                    I have been digging out my collection of LPs recently, and realised that I own six Weather Report LPs. So I thought I'd do a series of mini-reviews, taking them in chronological order.
                    What a brilliant thing do. Many thanks. I am going to enjoy reading your reviews in detail. I only have "Heavy Weather" in my record collection but it has been there for over 25 years. Love "Birdland". Given your comments on "Rumba Mama", I think I can guess your reaction to this from Aziz Sahmaoui & University of Gnawa last year but it is worth a quick try anyway:

UNIVERSITY OF GNAWA is the first album of Aziz Sahmaoui, original singer from Orchestre National de Barbes and former sideman of Joe Zawinul. A magical journ...

I am assuming that you are familiar with "The Pursuit of the Woman In The Feathered Hat" by Matthew Barley and Viktoria Mullova with Julian Joseph in the Ensemble? I have posted it before and think it is terrific. Sadly, the overall response wasn't positive.

Pursuit of the Woman with the Feathered Hat, arranged by Matthew Barley - Viktoria Mullova/Matthew Barley Ensemble and Special Guest Julian Joseph (piano), p...
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-12-12, 21:12.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                      • Dec 2010

Fifth in the series is 1984's Domino Theory which is unusual in the canon as it starts with a song.

The song is Can It Be Done. It's a strange arrangement, with some bi-tonal passages. Presumably Zawinul did it as it has a lot of his trademark orchestrations, rather like the old big bands in a way. There are some cute countermelodies behind Carl Anderson's voice, on a monosynth with a clarinet-like patch. He sings it well enough in a conventional R'n'B manner, but it jars a bit with the rest of the LP which is in a heavy groove courtesy of the bass and drums of Victor Bailey and Omar Hakim. The bass is mixed very prominently, with a lot of overtones producing a fat sound. Bailey and Hakim turn the band more into a sophisticated rock band which not surprising given their later gigs with the likes of Sting. Actually I think the bass is too loud on this album. Something else I am not sure about is Zawinul's dodgy taste in synth patches. Some are bloody awful, and he hasn't yet worked out what to do with samples, of which there are a few, used here mainly as percussion. One sample is used twice - at the start of Can It Be Done and then again at the start of Blue Sound - Note 3. He plays only electronic keyboards, so there's no acoustic piano. During the mid-80s Zawinul had an endorsement with Korg but here he plays the Yamaha GS-1, a veritable beast of a keyboard, an early digital synthesiser and forerunner of the (in)famous Yamaha DX-7 synth whose sounds were a defining part of 80s pop music. To be fair to Zawinul the GS-1 had preset sounds only, and was absolutely new technology, but on the other hand, it's still evil-sounding at times.

There's some good tracks here though, such as Swamp Cabbage and The Peasant. The standout track is D Flat Waltz which is 11 minutes long, linked below. (The video below cuts it off at the 10-minute point, so if you want to hear it all, go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppU4T...pyAsDVSn6dlmfc and go to 43:40)

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

You can join the many who have called me a lightweight but I'm not singing the body electric.

Otherwise, cool.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

I quite like some of the Weather Report records but never bothered to acquire any although a fried loaned be "8.30" when I was getting in to jazz. There are tracks on that such as "Brown Street" which are terrific but there is also a grand-standing nature of some of the tunes such as "Thanks for the memory" which seem staged. However, the problem for me is Zawinul , not only because the keyboard sounds have dated but also because I think he was always edging mor towards World Music and away from jazz. I'm never convinced by him. It's wierd how some jazz seems timeless (Basie, Miles, etc) whereas other bands or musicians seem very much locked in to their decade. Weather Report always seems to sound so 1970's but in a really bad way. They are the like flares and Paisely kipper ties put to music! Listening to Weather Report is an experience I would liken to listening to Bix Beiderbecke insofar that there are moments of greatness but also of cringe-making dreadfulness such as the crooners who were bolted on to those sessions. Weather Report are a soundtrack to the three-day week, power shortages, Wilson & Heath and bloody Starsky & Hutch. The same goes for the British jazz-rock bands and maybe even Eberhard Weber's "Colours" although I quite like some of his music. However, I cannot get out of my mind when listening to these bands that all this stuff is within a heartbeat of sounding like Rick Wakeman.

I do think that Weather Report and the whole Jazz-rock thing is very much a generational appeal. When I was getting in to jazz in the early 80's this stuff was universally slated . Even after Wayne left WR, he was still producing clinkers like "Phantom Navigator" - when this music came out I had never listened to his 60's work and was more interested in the contemporary scene. I just don't think these bands were that great.

However, although Shorter's return to acoustic jazz has resulted in some of the best jazz of the last 50 years, I really like the orchestral album "Hi Life" which mixes a large ensemble with some electronic synths and Marcus Miller's bass guitar. This is a superb album but I feel the compositions provide the strength in this outing. A marked improvement on anything Weather Report ever produced, in my opinion. (And vastly superior to the 1959 debut album on VeeJay that Bluesnik mentioned - I think Shorter was far more interesting after he joined Miles.)

Comment

• Quarky
                            • Dec 2010

A very worthwhile Thread.

This sort of stuff doesn't often get played on Radio 3 - although I recall Jazz Library had an episode on Jacko Pistorius not too long ago.

Maybe Geoffrey Smith might do a programme if he is running out of ideas. Otherwise Radio 6 and Gilles Peterson might pick it up. (As you may have noticed, Radio is my sole source of music)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Weather Report were not the "soundtrack" to the three day week...they were the CAUSE of it!

All that bloody load on the national grid. The miners just couldn't cope, even working triple shifts shovelling coal into synths....

BN.

Comment

Working...
                              X