X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Nelson Williams ~ The lost Ellingtonian

On the way back from football lasy night, my Dad was telling me about seeing an American trumpet player called Nelson Williams in a jazz club whilst he did his national service. I must admit I had never heard of him but it appears he was playing with a local Trad band even though my father said he was supposed to have played with the Duke's band.. This would have been in the late 50's.

I was quite amazed to find out about his when I searched him on Google as it transpired he had several spells with Ellington's band.

Explore Nelson Williams's discography including top tracks, albums, and reviews. Learn all about Nelson Williams on AllMusic.

All hotels in Washington — Online hotel reservations in Washington, United States. Great rates and availability. Pay at the hotel, no booking fees.

There is also a very expensive CD by Williams on Amazon although the cheaper option would be the set by Mary Lou Williams that she recorded in Paris. It transpires that most of Nelson William's career post-war was spent in Europe.

Wondered if anyone had ever come across this musician? I must admit that he is a totally new name to me.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

I remember Benny Waters talking about Nelson when I toured with Benny in the late 70s. There's a good LP (Great Traditionalists in Europe) on MPS that has Benny and Nelson together with Albert Nicholas, Joe Turner (stride pianist not singer) and Wally Bishop, plus Jimmy Woode - come to think of it this nearly made it into the Woode Jazz Library, as it came from the same group of sessions as the Idries Sulieman track we did play. I always used to get Nelson Williams confused with Franc Williams who preceded and succeeded him in the 50s Ellington band, and whom I met on tour with the Harlem Jazz and Blues Band at around the time I was playing with Benny Waters.

Comment

• charles t
      • Nov 2010

In Chicago, I worked with an ex-Ellingtonian - Rudy Jackson - who had played clarinet in the orchestra. He told me how, he, RUDY, had written the tune - Creole Love Call - and brought it to Duke.

According to Rudy: "I didn't know anything about composer 'rights' and all that. None of us did. Duke kept the song and took all the credit..."

I found a picture of Rudy in the Duke sax section in an old issue of Metronome and he really dug it.

Comment

• Marline

Found anything interesting yet?

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        On the way back from football lasy night, my Dad was telling me about seeing an American trumpet player called Nelson Williams in a jazz club whilst he did his national service. I must admit I had never heard of him but it appears he was playing with a local Trad band even though my father said he was supposed to have played with the Duke's band.. This would have been in the late 50's.

I was quite amazed to find out about his when I searched him on Google as it transpired he had several spells with Ellington's band.

Explore Nelson Williams's discography including top tracks, albums, and reviews. Learn all about Nelson Williams on AllMusic.

All hotels in Washington — Online hotel reservations in Washington, United States. Great rates and availability. Pay at the hotel, no booking fees.

There is also a very expensive CD by Williams on Amazon although the cheaper option would be the set by Mary Lou Williams that she recorded in Paris. It transpires that most of Nelson William's career post-war was spent in Europe.

Wondered if anyone had ever come across this musician? I must admit that he is a totally new name to me.
        Well yes, I have come across this musician, since he is my father! He died in 1973, after an extensive career in jazz. Unfortunately there is not much material to be found on the Internet, digital or otherwise, but my brother and me will get some things out there in the next few months. It is very nice to see that people are interested in his work. He lived for music. Best regards from Amsterdam, Marline Williams

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Marline View Post
          Well yes, I have come across this musician, since he is my father! He died in 1973, after an extensive career in jazz. Unfortunately there is not much material to be found on the Internet, digital or otherwise, but my brother and me will get some things out there in the next few months. It is very nice to see that people are interested in his work. He lived for music. Best regards from Amsterdam, Marline Williams
          Hello, Marline! Good to hear from you. It would be very good if you could get some things on the internet. Do you have many of his (private) recordings that would not otherwise be available?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
            In Chicago, I worked with an ex-Ellingtonian - Rudy Jackson - who had played clarinet in the orchestra. He told me how, he, RUDY, had written the tune - Creole Love Call - and brought it to Duke.

According to Rudy: "I didn't know anything about composer 'rights' and all that. None of us did. Duke kept the song and took all the credit..."

I found a picture of Rudy in the Duke sax section in an old issue of Metronome and he really dug it.
            Rudy's tale is just a flyspeck on a L E G E N D

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Marlene

Thanks very much for responding to this thread. It would be brilliant if you could post something on the internet but in the interim, please feel free to contribute to this chatroom. your input would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Comment

Working...
              X