Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

"Hell is other Departmental Heads."- Jean Paul Satre.

"I never done nothing!" - King Herod.

BN.

Now trending on the BBC playlist;

"I didnt know what time it was" - The George Entwistle Quintet plus strings.
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 12-11-12, 10:54.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

never mind al this existential crisis at AUNT etc what do you make of Geoffrey's Rollins playlist ...very 50s no Brown Roach/Freedom Suite/Bridge/Way Out West/Man In Jazz etc ... lovely stuff, especially Way You Look Tonight ... but elliptic or what?
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Agree, and nothing from the RCA sessions of the early sixties? Some of my fav Newk, esp the extended out
        -takes from the Nows the Time album.

BN.

NP: Chris Patten Organisation - Hey Fatman.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Agree, and nothing from the RCA sessions of the early sixties? Some of my fav Newk, esp the extended out
          -takes from the Nows the Time album.

BN.

NP: Chris Patten Organisation - Hey Fatman.
          The later bands were fired more by enthusiasm than either sophistication or originality, over the top of which Rollins could soar. But that last track showed his playing as capable of stretching the way he had in the early/mid-sixties. In the end what it's all about, Alfred.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

that penultimate track was pure heartbreak ... and just coz i think it is great here is another spectacular live blow from saint S

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

Me, I'm still recovering from Dick Fontaine's brilliant film about Sonny which was premiered for a cinema audience at the London Jazz Fest on Saturday at the QEH (nice Q and A with him afterwards, too). But just a reminder that St Sonny's own playlist and his chat to me about it can still be downloaded from the Jazz Library podcast site. The playlists are here:
              In the first of two programmes legendary tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins talks to Alyn Shipton and selects the essential recordings from his back catalogue.Recommendations: Sonny Rollins Plus 4 (Prestige)Sax Symbol (Properbox)Best of Sonny Rollins (Blue Note)

and here:
              In the second of two special programmes Alyn Shipton is joined by the great tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                Me, I'm still recovering from Dick Fontaine's brilliant film about Sonny which was premiered for a cinema audience at the London Jazz Fest on Saturday at the QEH (nice Q and A with him afterwards, too). But just a reminder that St Sonny's own playlist and his chat to me about it can still be downloaded from the Jazz Library podcast site. The playlists are here:
                In the first of two programmes legendary tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins talks to Alyn Shipton and selects the essential recordings from his back catalogue.Recommendations: Sonny Rollins Plus 4 (Prestige)Sax Symbol (Properbox)Best of Sonny Rollins (Blue Note)

and here:
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzlibrary/pip/jmo8o/
                Many thanks, Alyn.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Scarcely drawing breath after our London Jazz Festival live show on Friday (you can still listen again via the BBC iPlayer Radio App or online), we push on relentlessly to bring you more brilliant performances from the UK’s biggest jazz-gathering. This week we’re treating you to the spectacular Matthew Shipp Trio, recorded live at the Vortex.
                  It’s a great pleasure for me to welcome Matthew back onto the programme, as he’s someone we’ve followed closely since his first appearance with the late David S Ware’s quartet back in 1999. He's always been an ambitious and emotionally intense pianist, deleted
                  Shipp is a highly imaginative player and has enjoyed a varied career spanning everything from the avant-garde to unexpected hip-hop collaborations. However, it's his progressive approach and far-reaching improvisations that have defined him as one of the driving forces behind the advancement of free music in his generation. Expect a night of highly original sounds, as Shipp is joined by ‘poet of the contrabass’ Michael Bisio and fellow David S Ware colleague Whit Dickey at the drum kit.
                  Matthew will also be joining me for a quick pre-gig interview and I’ll be giving you a sneak preview of our Adventures in Sound show coming up in two weeks' time.
                  Join me on Monday 12 November at 11pm, or listen online for seven days after broadcast.

Jez
                  from newsletter

i have deleted what i consider a really tasteless reference to the passing of David Ware

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

"Jez Nelson presents Matthew Shipp, the masterful and somewhat outspoken pianist, live in concert with his trio at the London Jazz Festival.

Matthew Shipp's career has spanned everything from the avant-garde through to hip hop and electronica. First rising to prominence as a sideman with saxophonist David S. Ware's quartet and Roscoe Mitchell's Note Factory, Shipp has since concentrated on leading his own projects and has also participated in some unexpected collaborations - including with hip hop's Antipop Consortium and DJ Spooky.

Despite returning to the more traditional trio setting, Shipp's playing remains ever-progressive. The individual voices of the band - featuring Michael Bisio on bass and Whit Dickey on drums - ebb and flow in and out of conversation, creating music that touches on the more delicate side of classical and avant-garde influences. "

Matthew Shipp . Why is it I wonder I find Mathew Shipp enjoyable but David S. Ware too much? May be it's just the tones of the piano, as opposed to the "tones" of the horns, which irritate over a period of time.

Anyhow, don't think we can complain about the quantity of Jazz on Radio 3 this week.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Anyhow, don't think we can complain about the quantity of Jazz on Radio 3 this week.
                      quality?

Comment

Working...
                      X