Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Anyway get it right-

SPRING forward

FALL back

Get it ? Spring, Fall.{American for Autumn}
      Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Anyhoo... yes the time does "fall" back an hour tonight here.
      Quite...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        "Obispo" is a word I've been fascinated by since I first heard it, and by itself makes me want to go there.
        Obispo < episcopus > évêque/vescovo/bishop/Bischof ... ??

(Not sure who Bishop Pont was, however...)
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Went to watch Winchester City lose 2-0 to Bishop's Cleve (wherever that is - Glocestershire, I think) yesterday and was really impressed by the opening selection of tracks on yesterday's JRR as I drove back.

The Don Ewell track was tremendous and it was nice to hear this kind of compelling jazz played on a piano that wasn't out of tune and in reasonable hi-fi. There is something about Harlem Stride piano that pulls in your attention and , for me atleast, it goes beyond the high degree of technique. I really enjoyed that track but it was trumped by the absolutely fantastic re-imaginig of Jelly Roll Morton's "London Blues." The band absolutely managed to nail the essence of Morton's music and it was a nice touch to have ex-Jelly drummer Tommy Benford in the line up. The more I listen to JRM's music, the more impressive it seems and I think that it was fortunate that I had Gunther Schuller's book "Early Jazz" at the same time as I heard this music for the first occasion as it taught me how to appreciate this music. The Red Hot Pepper's sophistication in blending every possible combimation of instrument and mixing this with differing rhythm's in each chorus marks this composer as probably the greatest ever composers in jazz for the small group. Certainly, no one else was quite as subtle as Morton and he never really managed to repeat the shear perfection of this band.

As if this wasn't good enough, it was fabulous to hear Bechet's "Blue Horizon" which is easily one of the greatest pieces of blues playing on any instrument in the history of jazz. The sound of the ensemble with Hodes' wonderful piano also marks this record as something rather special. Bechet's clarinet treally makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. Shame that he seems a bit overlooked these days - especially as it is likely that he was already a formidable soloist before Louis armstrong had started to make a name for himself.

I missed the end of the programme but will want to hear the Condon track on the listen again facility. Saturday's programme was a treat for anyone who loves vintage jazz and I'm glad that alot of exceptional early jazz continues to get played despite Jazzwise suggesting that JRR was going to get more trendy. This programme is just about the only place left to hear anything recorded before 1950 on BBC.

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Obispo < episcopus > évêque/vescovo/bishop/Bischof ... ??

(Not sure who Bishop Pont was, however...)

Wiki: "Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa is a Spanish mission founded in 1772 by Father Junípero Serra in the present-day city of San Luis Obispo, California. Named after Saint Louis of Anjou, the bishop of Toulouse, the mission is the namesake of the city of San Luis Obispo and San Luis Obispo County."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Looking forward to the Quentin Collins/Brandon Allen Qnt on tonight - a group v much in the mould of late 60s Blue Note hard bop so not especially original or innovative, it's just that they do it very well; Collins, who has been around a while though not afaik featured on any British jass prog in his own right, knocked me for six the first time I saw him 6 or so years ago.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

looks very tasty S_A i will iPlayer soon!

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

This week, in a change to the previously billed programme, we pay tribute to David S. Ware who sadly passed away on the 18th October. I’ve always found Ware’s music extremely powerful and his 1999 session recorded exclusively for Jazz On 3 remains a real personal highlight of the many recordings we’ve done. In this week’s show Kevin Le Gendre will join me to reflect on Ware’s celebrated thirty-odd year career, built on utter devotion to and focus on the music he wanted to make.

It was Sonny Rollins who helped Ware develop both his early sound and that single-minded approach to developing his own voice. Then in the ‘80s he moved to New York and began playing with bands such as the Cecil Taylor Unit and Andrew Cyrille's group Maono. But Ware wanted his own band and pieced together a quartet of musical soulmates – it was this quartet with pianist Matthew Shipp and bass player William Parker that began to win him international acclaim. As mentioned, Jazz On 3 recorded that band back in ’99 and we’ll hear that session again this week.

During his later years, Ware endured a battle with kidney failure that involved over a decade of dialysis treatment. Following a plea from his management, Ware’s fans banded together to facilitate an urgent kidney transplant that would save his life and allow him to continue his career. Some of his most poignant recordings followed with Planetary Unknown, a band of seasoned free jazz players, which gave the tenor saxophonist a platform to perform in his most charged and spiritual phase. Our show has this band recorded just last year at The Vision festival in New York.

Whether you know David S Ware’s music or not – I urge you to join me to hear some very special music form a man who has died too young.

Jon3 newsletter
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Anyway get it right-

SPRING forward

FALL back

Get it ? Spring, Fall.{American for Autumn}
                    Sad thing is, I can easily imagine that it's spring backwards (in surprise at the caterpillar in my salad) and fall forwards (into my dinner after too many drinkies)
                    Last edited by Guest; 29-10-12, 20:19. Reason: trypo

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Sad thing is, I can easily imagine that it's spring backwards (in surprise at the caterpiller in my salad) and fall forwards (into my dinner after too many drinkies)
                      Boing said Brian.

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

Obviously in a minority of 1 in wanting to comment on GS's programme, but I'm certainly in that segment of Jazz-listeners at which his programmes are aimed.

High point was duets with Louis Armstrong and Sidney Bechet. Keep it coming Geoffrey!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

yep i have only listened to 10 mins so fa,r but with you all the way Oddball ....

now listened to it all, great prog and especially enjoyed the trio playing My Fate is in Your Hands

Composer: Hines Performers: Earl Hines, p; Al Casey, g; Oscar Pettiford, b; February 1944
                          Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 30-10-12, 15:13. Reason: completed listening

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Cecil on JRR....phew!!
                            bong ching

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

"Jon3 Tribute to David S Ware"

Accepting the experts' view of this musician, I have to say I preferred the very last track "Autumn Leaves". Could see Sonny Rollins there, and "brevity is the soul of wit".

Otherwise my reaction to this session was eventually the same as a session I attended of Archie Shepp in the 60's, where I went off free jazz. They do go on!

Comment

• Quarky
                                • Dec 2010

FT's contributions on Late Junction deserve a hearing, imv.

Comment

Working...
                                X