• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Freddie Redd ~ Shades of Redd

A neglected BLUE NOTE classic from 1960 by an underrated pianist/composer:

From the album "Shades of Redd".Jackie McLean (A sax), Tina Brooks (T sax), Freddie Redd (pno), Paul Chambers (db), Louis Hayes (dr).
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

saw him with the great Jackie Mac in The Connection way back when .....
    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 23-10-12, 15:16.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Jazzrook

Did you know that Freddie Redd was still performing?

I don't have the "Shades of Redd" album but I am aware of tunes like the excellent "Melanie" and "Ole" from John Zorn's "News for Lulu" that came out about 25 years ago. It's wierd how cultish this record is yet you get the impression that Redd has done almost nothing else! I was amazed to find that he is both still alive and still playing - the combination with altoist Jesse Davis seems to be extremely well matched. It's nice to hear the music if only to hear more of Tina Brooks and a more conservative and less strident Jackie McLean.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Ian, ckout "The Thespian", the opening track on that album, a kind of two tempo Brilliant Corners with a glorious blend of horns and v. fine solos. Brooks edging into a harder late 50s Trane mode.

There's a clip on Utube of Brooks going head to head with David Newman in the '63 Ray Charles band chez Brazil...I think Fathead cuts him.

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

BTW, The Ron Coltrane Quintet's cult recording of "Fixin it for Jimmy" (1979), with a cover of Jimmy Savile playing a toy saxophone, has for some reason gone missing from the BBC library.

Own up now...

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

and that taxi firm gone broke and all .... summats up summats up
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Now then, Now then...

All those letters to Jim asking him to "fix" the BBC's bankrupt jazz output and all the time his mind was elsewhere...

No wonder people have lost faith in politicians.

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

"Oh, I thought I heard Helen Boaden say, take that nasty funky thing away..."
                Helen Boaden - vocals and water cooler.
                George Enwhistle - banjo
                Jimmy Lips Savile - cornet
                Mark Thompson - bass

(c) BBC jazz cassettes on demand.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  "Oh, I thought I heard Helen Boaden say, take that nasty funky thing away..."
                  Helen Boaden - vocals and water cooler.
                  George Enwhistle - banjo
                  Jimmy Lips Savile - cornet
                  Mark Thompson - bass

(c) BBC jazz cassettes on demand.
                  under counter goods available off license

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                    Jazzrook

Did you know that Freddie Redd was still performing?

I don't have the "Shades of Redd" album but I am aware of tunes like the excellent "Melanie" and "Ole" from John Zorn's "News for Lulu" that came out about 25 years ago. It's wierd how cultish this record is yet you get the impression that Redd has done almost nothing else! I was amazed to find that he is both still alive and still playing - the combination with altoist Jesse Davis seems to be extremely well matched. It's nice to hear the music if only to hear more of Tina Brooks and a more conservative and less strident Jackie McLean.

http://www.freddieredd.com/audiovideo.html
                    Many thanks, Ian. Amazed and delighted to hear that Freddie Redd is still around and playing. A seriously neglected talent and will have to check out some of his later work.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                      BTW, The Ron Coltrane Quintet's cult recording of "Fixin it for Jimmy" (1979), with a cover of Jimmy Savile playing a toy saxophone, has for some reason gone missing from the BBC library.

Own up now...

BN.
                      Am considering sending a request to JRR for the original 1937 version of 'Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl' by Sonny Boy Williamson(John Lee). How do you rate my chances of getting it played?

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        saw him with the great Jackie Mac in The Connection way back when .....
                        There's a little-known quintet recording of 'The Connection' with Tina Brooks, Howard McGhee, Milt Hinton & Osie Johnson with Freddie Redd appearing as 'I. Ching'.

Track Selection: Wigglin’ Artists Howard McGhee (tp) Tina Brooks (ts) Freddie Redd (p) Milt Hinton (b) Osie Johnson (d)recorded NYC, June 13, 1960 Music: Freddie Redd’s Music fro…

Comment

Working...
                        X