X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Byas'd Opinion
    • Jun 2024

David S Ware RIP

More bad news, I'm afraid. The great free jazz saxophonist David S Ware has died aged only 62. He'd been very ill with kidney disease for some time.

More details, and some film of his band performing, at http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...-david-s-ware/

The band in the clip is his regular working quartet, with Matthew Shipp on piano and William Parker on bass (the drummer changed over the years).

Hopefully it will help people look upon my music in a different light, to draw connections to the past and to see how it fits in the tradition. There’s a misunderstanding about the kind of music we play, that there’s no discipline, that anything goes. We’re fighting to dispel those myths. We’re like the Marines coming in to create a platform for the spirit of exploration and freedom in music
    David S Ware on signing for a major label.
  • Byas'd Opinion

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Very sad to hear. I remember posting a year or two back that a woman had donated a kidney to him? Caused a lot of interest/deep respect at the time.

BN.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Sad to hear this news - he was one of the giants of the tenor of this era. "Balladware" is one of the most original standards albums ever made.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Yes Ian, a truly great album...even hardened old Bluenote winos like me dig that one! The deconstruction of Angel Eyes is a gem.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Wondered if you had heard "The freedom Suite" album as well ? This is very impressive too. Alsways wished that I'd snapped on the 3-CD live recording as well but never managed to grab it with my mits.

I think that the terrific clip that Byas posted sums ups my feeling towards this kind of jazz. It is sum an intense and honest approach to jazz that alot of music seems "fake" afterwards. I get the same impression when I listen to William Parker's records. It is almost as if they are pursuing a "true path" within the music that renders other jazz musicians as insincere. Been watching the documentary on the David S Ware website this morning - needless to say, the hoovering hasn't got much beyond the lounge!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

... his version of The Freedom Suite is a masterpiece, how sad to suffer such illness and too early a death ...
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Many who have kept faith with the Freedom Principle over here will be saddened by this news.

Comment

• charles t
                  • Nov 2010

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                    Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne
                    Very saddened to hear this as I have a copy of Balladware courtesy of a certain owner of a high-end reel-to-reel recorder from 'round these parts. My favourite from that CD is Ware's version of "Tenderly".

62 is too young to die these days.

Here's an interview with Ware I have just found, which I hope you also find interesting:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• charles t
                      • Nov 2010

Jazz On 3 broadcast the David S. Ware Quartet Live @ Vision Festival, NY - June 18, 2006 - which was subsequently released as album - Renunciation (now out-of-print).

There is an outstanding opening tune of the set - Ganesh Sound - here in it's entirety (RealPlayer, I know gets it):

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                        Jazz On 3 broadcast the David S. Ware Quartet Live @ Vision Festival, NY - June 18, 2006 - which was subsequently released as album - Renunciation (now out-of-print).

There is an outstanding opening tune of the set - Ganesh Sound - here in it's entirety (RealPlayer, I know gets it):

http://www.aumfidelity.com/aum042.html
                        Thanks Charles, from the foggy, foggy dew (can't see further than the church this morn). Great stuff heretofore unheard (by me).

Comment

Working...
                        X