• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...jazz in the moonlighht of albion

Alyn has the required paino bits, a 62 Goodman track [BG in HiFi is great album stunning orchestra] but for me Andrew Hill is the highlight this afternoon ...

Geoffrey does the Piano Trio Part 1
    Is the piano trio the most popular jazz combination? In the first of two programmes for Radio 3's Piano Season, Geoffrey Smith surveys the development of the format in the 40s and 50s, from Nat King Cole and Oscar Peterson to Bill Evans and Ahmad Jamal.
    .. a playlist that more than tempts me ..

Claire on JLU has more interesting CD tracks perhaps than the featured sessions ..
    Phil Robson, in a live set of his current project "The Immeasurable Code". Robson's original compositions explore musical interpretations of communication, combining inventive writing with superb musicianship from his band of:
    Gareth Lockrane (flutes), Euan Burton (bass) and Ernesto Simpson (drums) and Phil Robson leading from the Guitar.
    Claire also talks to the new BBC Radio 3 New Generation Jazz Artist for 2012 to 2014, Saxophonist and Composer Trish Clowes.
    Jon3 has loadsa Herbie H before
    Ivo Neame (piano), Tori Freestone (tenor saxophone/flute), Jon Shenoy (clarinet), Jason Yarde (alto saxophone),
    Shabaka Hutchings (bass clarinet), Jim Hart (vibes), Jasper Høiby (double bass), Dave Hamblett (drums)
    tasty by the looks eh

what a nice weekend of jazz proggies for us ageing elitist jazbos to enjoy and sit up late in our patched house wear ...

fro no especial reason but it is good and subtle and Jimmy G

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n9z9p"]

Claire on JLU has more interesting CD tracks perhaps than the featured sessions ..
    Al contrario, amigo - it all looks wonderful!

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    Jon3 has loadsa Herbie H before
    tasty by the looks eh

what a nice weekend of jazz proggies for us ageing elitist jazbos to enjoy and sit up late in our patched house wear ...
    Reams of Neame - my regular ignorers will have noted my previous mention of this unit. Trish Clowes aplenty too - will she even bother with my local gig anymore?

Time for the gin 'n' mixed...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Intrigued by the piano selections on JRR last night. The Jean - Yves Thibaudet track was fascinating as it re-cast the Bill Evans number as a oiece of Classical music. It seemed to have been notated but could have been improvised. The comment about Classical musicians not understanding jazz is a common reflection but I think JYT managed to capture what Evans was about. There is a Debussy Study which plays the opposite trick and sounds like a piece by Bill Evans. I some respects, the JYT might have been considered a bit stiff and lacked the fluidity of Evans' approach yet the next track (as wnderful as it was) featuring Arthur Schutt demonstrated that jazz musicians could phrase pretty rigidly too. Venuti and Lang seem quite modern in some respects of their phrasing.

The most interesting record was the Hampton Hawes track. Prior to the arrival of McCoy Tyner on the scene, was there ever a pianist who swung harder? I was also curious to see how he phrased his solos and how often the be-bop lines he played fitted into the 4 and 8 bar sections of the tune. As a teenager, "The Green Leaves of Autumn" was a revelation to me , especially insofar that the ad lib intros had a freedom that seemed liberating after listening to nothing but Thelonious Monk before hearing this record for the first time. It seems ages since I've heard Hawes and it was great to be re-acquainted with his playing again. That said, the music seemed very much of it's time. He didn't seem to be doing very much with his left hand (if anything) and the attack in the right hand seemed to vary very little. My piano teacher was a huge fan of Hampton Hawes and , as was often the case with his assessments, this boiled down to the fact that he swung so hard. I can appreciate this entirely however , taken over the course of the ength of a CD, I would suspect that this approach could be quite boring. It's like "Industrial Strength" Bud Powell. I was also very much reminded of Keith Jarrett's trio too , especially after a musician friend noted that what Jarrett played was often very simple, even if it was effective. Some of this simplicity seemed to manifest itself in the track chosen but Jarrett is far more radical in how he stretches his phrases as befits the difference in eras. All in all, it was good to hear the Hampton Hawes track but I don't think it was on a par with the "GLoA" record which was recorded later. Being able to predict the responses of the other posters on this board, I think that Bluesnik would have loved the Hawes track whilst I feel that the piano playing S-A would been much more critical. Curious to hear Jim Hall in such an early recording too - one of the great improvisers in my opinion.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

The piano tracks played on JRR were interesting, and Hampton Hawes I agree was a hard swinger. But I think the tracks played on Geoffrey Smith's programme were more interesting, presumably because Geoffrey is free to select them, whereas Alyn is constrained by listener's requests. Not Oscar Peterson's greatest fan, but as regards technique and express-train swing, he can't be matched. Nat Cole's track was a revelation to me - didn't realise how good a pianist he was.

Principal interest was Ahmad Jamal - someone with real originality and structure in his improvisations -so much piano music is dazzling technique, but no time for real structure in the solo.

But overall, the jazz piano played over the past week or so has not matched GS's programme on Harlem Stride, and I hope he has something else up his sleeve, to demonstrate the development of Jazz piano to the present day.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Ian, as you suggest I am a huge admirer of Hamp Hawes but more the mid to later period, i.e. from just pre to post prison when his style took on a Evanish sensitivity...and even a hint of Tyners left hand.

My ancient JRR request for the aching Art Pepper/Hamp H. "Here's that rainy day" will no doubt be along before muuuuuuuuuuuuch too long...green leaves on the R3 line?

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

And while he may have messed with a Fender piano in the 70s...Oh No! He never injected accordian.

The instrument of Hell.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

Unlike Pete Jolly...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Wasn't Pete Jolly's father an accordianist? Which brings to mind Phillip Larkin's few lines...

Just listening to Jackie Mclean on tenor in 1957...fascinating, I would have said Rollins or Mobley.

Another request pending!

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Pete Jolly is
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

There's a classy bit of Pete Jolly in Clint Eastwood's Piano Blues dvd, with Henry Gray and Dr John looking on... as in whats thats ALL about?

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

cool man, cool

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Anyone catch last night's Jon3? Just caught the end of Ivo Neame's Octet: truly stonking - and you won't find one of jaded tastes often saying as much. Will see if the new CD's on sale tonight at the Amersham, where I saw the group a coupla months ago.

Comment

• handsomefortune

tbh i've only just caught up with last week's jez on 3, from leeds.

here's to gayle brand's trombone impro

lol coxil recorded playing from within a leeds skip

and trish clews (who has also been played on 'late junction'..... a track to die for.... well not literally...but nevertheless sublime).

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

listening now S_A and i agree ...Yatra will be on this month's emusic scoop

Comment

• handsomefortune

'sons of kemet' for me tonight, live in small venue....am really looking forward to it.

shall i/shalln't i.... take along my ear muffs?

Comment

Working...
                              X