• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Calling all Thumwoods

From the latest National Jazz Archive Newsletter:

"A legend comes to Loughton

Buddy Greco will be our celebrity guest on Saturday 17th November, 1.30-4.00pm at Loughton Methodist Church. Tickets £15 from the National Jazz Archive ...".

National Jazz Archive
    Loughton Library
    Traps Hill
    Loughton
    Essex IG10 1HD

020 8502 4701

enquiries@nationaljazzarchive.org.uk

(Nearest tube Loughton, on the Central Line)
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

oh it was in the uk top ten when we were bairns innit

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

... on the other hand

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

According to Digby Fairweather's write-up from the above source:

Buddy Greco, despite his huge international reputation, has long and fond connections with Britain. The man who rightly claims to have 'played every major club in the world on at least two occasions' first arrived in this country with Benny Goodman at the London Palladium in 1949 and later in the 1960s and 70s cemented his UK relationship with regular dates at the West End's Talk of the Town; an appearance at the 'Royal Command Performance' (luckily - or possibly unluckily - on the same night as the Beatles in Novemnber 1963!) and an instrumental album with the London Symphony Orchestra. It's still a source of wonder for me that this legend of American music now lives just a few blocks from me in Westcliff-on-Sea in a pretty appartment overlooking the sea! ...

Digby has just devalued the phrase "Buddy have you got a Drachma" for me.

Grippie should still be told...

Comment

• grippie

Just down the road, I walk along the front quite often, will have to keep my lugholes pinned back

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

'Calling All Thumwoods'

Is this a phishing thread?

If so, I've been phished...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
              'Calling All Thumwoods'

Is this a phishing thread?

If so, I've been phished...
              Fear not, my dear Charles - I intuit no resemblance.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

S-A

Not too fussed by the singing, by the duet with Billy Taylor is great. I think Greco has performed at the Concord Club in the past but I never went along as I supposed it would be "supper club" kind of music with little real jazz. I think he played with Goodman in the late forties but I am unaware of him working in a jazz context other than that. in the clip, he sounds a bit like Oscar Peterson but I prefer what billy Taylor is playing. The latter deserved to be more widely appreciated if for his contribution to jazz education if nothing else.

Thanks for the post.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                X