X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Trish Clowes and Tangent Quintet/Nonet

Saw these at the Sage last night. Two excellent sets, the second with an "improvising string quartet" alongside the
    quintet. They are currently on tour with a new CD And in the night time she is there.

OG
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Saw these at the Sage last night. Two excellent sets, the second with an "improvising string quartet" alongside the
    quintet. They are currently on tour with a new CD And in the night time she is there.

OG
    Glad you enjoyed our Trish, OG - one of S London's most promising exports, imo. There's a track from her new album on Jon3 tomorrow.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Glad you enjoyed our Trish, OG - one of S London's most promising exports, imo.
      Well, I guess Gateshead is almost as far as you can get from Sarf London without needing an export licence!

Good value CDs too - a tenner each or both for 15 quid - and signed gratis:

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Jazz Lives!!!!
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Just back from seeing Trish at St James's Piccadilly, backed by the string quartet playing eleven Kurt Weill arrangements by Mike Westbrook, Barry Guy, Neil Ardley, Richard Rodney Bennett, Mike Gibbs and Barbara Thompson on Barbara's album of some 20 years ago, "Barbara Song" - part of the tour referred to by OG in Msg 1.

It is one thing to improvise on typical standards and blues, where harmonies can be altered to suit playing with mutual engagement, but quite another to be backed by a string ensemble alone, and Trish made a brilliant job of it. A recording and film was made, whether for broadcast or CD release or not wasn't clear. Barbara, present in the audience - and btw coping amazingly with her condition - would be more than agreeable to the latter, and was to say the least delighted with Trish's performance.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

thanks for that S_A
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• handsomefortune

she sounded great (with chris montague on guitar) on jez's show, and is on again tonight on jlu.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                she sounded great (with chris montague on guitar) on jez's show, and is on again tonight on jlu.
                More here: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-the-playlists

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

I'm convinced that, an an aggregate, women in jazz are often making more interesting music than their male counterparts. If you look at the different styles of jazz, you can find women taking the music in an interesting direction, whether it be Maria Schneider (big band jazz), post-bop (Geri Allen) , more contemporary styles (Epseranza Spalding) or singers as diverse as Dianbe Reeves or Gretchen Parlato. Terri-Lynne Carrington's current band , which consists largely of women, played at Vienne this year and I have always been enthusiastic about her drumming. There are many women out there who approach their music in a wholly original fashion.

However, I think this pianist is something else and have been been rehearsing some of her easier tunes which are available on her website. For me,Eri Yamamoto is a beacon of light in the over-crowded and often uninspiring world of the piano trio. I loved her playing on William Parker's seminal "luc's Lantern" album and have even managed to convince my friends who I play with of her abilities. She is a great composer too and gets my thumbs up for her approach to improvisation which has been compared to the great Paul Bley. For me, Eri Yamamoto is one of the most important jazz pianists on today's scene amongst such worthy contemporaries as Jason Moran, Vijay Iyer, John Escreet or even Gerald Clayton. This is where I feel today's jazz piano "is at." I appreciate the tracks by Trish Clowes, but I think Eri Yamamoto is World Class.

I think Jazzrook but a shout out several years ago for Matana Roberts . I've been checking out flautist and composer Nicole Mitchell but will start a new thread on her music after the weekend.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

This is too good not to post:-

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

This is even better!!! Hamid Drake lays down a tremendous groove after this cadenza. REAL JAZZ

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Trish Clowes is a guest on In Tune tomorrow:

Sean Rafferty's guests include young jazz saxophonist Trish Clowes, one of the new crop of Radio 3's New Generation Artists, ahead of her gig at London's Pizza Express. She plays live in the studio.

It will probably be on before I've left work - but looking forward to catching it on i-player.

OG

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Worth a listen.

Interesting how Sean changed from Clowes (as in cows) to Clowes (as in clues) after the news at 1700. Someone must have had a word!

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            Worth a listen.

Interesting how Sean changed from Clowes (as in cows) to Clowes (as in clues) after the news at 1700. Someone must have had a word!

OG
                            Thanks OG - missed this - there's nothing like a good friend pointing to the germane part of a programme on iPlayer.

Comment

Working...
                            X