• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... journey to the end of Monday

Alyn favours some Tenor sax greats this afternoon ...

Geoffrey Smith will present the full glory of Ellington the pianist, in solos and ensembles large and small ... a treat eh!

JLU features mainstream Brit from Scarborough Jazz festival ie Alan Barnes et al ... looks like Dave Green is taking on La Faro

Jon3 is having freely improvised adventures in sheds in Yorkshire [no i don't think they read the old mb either]

talking of tenors ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Jezza Jo3 is featuring "free maths rock"?

That just doesnt add up and in addition I can think of multiple reasons not to listen for fraction of the time its on...or not on...

Based on the Copenhagen Theory...Oh Nils, your such a bore...

I'll get my coat...

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Jezza Jo3 is featuring "free maths rock"?

That just doesnt add up and in addition I can think of multiple reasons not to listen for fraction of the time its on...or not on...

Based on the Copenhagen Theory...Oh Nils, your such a bore...

I'll get my coat...

BN.
      Yes, what's "math rock" ffs???

But AHHHHH - a Trish Clowes track in included - must stay up then.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

well Geoffrey's prog was a treat but inexplicably did not include ....

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
          well Geoffrey's prog was a treat but inexplicably did not include ....

Too modern, man, too...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

woodshed

This week sparks are flying as we head north to the melting pot of Yorkshire’s improvised music scene. We hear an explosive live performance from Shatner’s Bassoon in Leeds, and Gail Brand’s trombone in duet with a welder in a village shed. Confused? Keep reading.

Describing themselves as ‘improvised rock-puke,’ inspired by William Shatner’s monologues and ‘the perils of jazz-induced trances,’ Shatner’s Bassoon are a sextet of young experimental jazzmen, who aren’t afraid to take themselves with a pinch of salt. The band exudes a Zappa-esque wackiness at times (you should have seen their outfits), however they certainly assert themselves musically with a technical prowess and gift for episodic composition that will grab your attention and not let go.

Also tonight, trombonist Gail Brand joins me in the studio to consider the relationship between musician, audience and gig promoter in light of her recent trip to The Shed, Yorkshire’s hub of improvised happenings now celebrating twenty years presenting experimental music. Gail talks to its artistic director Simon Thackray and then performs a specially-arranged duet with John Walpole – a welder who works in the village of Brawby, fabricating farm buildings. The hums, crackles and metallic clattering provide an unusual catalyst for her two improvisations.

We’ll also be previewing another live session from Leeds band Home of the Brave and to close, a track from recently announced BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist Trish Clowes.

All of this on Monday 08 October at 11pm, or listen online for seven days after broadcast.

newsletter

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              woodshed
              Anyone who wants the real derivation of "Shatner's Bassoon" need only see this (skip to 1:55 if you must, just watch the whole thing).

I'm Bernard Ingham and this is a piece of Cake.

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                Anyone who wants the real derivation of "Shatner's Bassoon" need only see this (skip to 1:55 if you must, just watch the whole thing).

I'm Bernard Ingham and this is a piece of Cake.
                Nicely spotted, TF!

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

Well S_A, I'm just a big fan of Chris Morris, and have been for years...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                    Well S_A, I'm just a big fan of Chris Morris, and have been for years...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Small world redux! I bought The Day Today Box dvd box set in HMVs at the weekend for a tenner. Not a tenor.

There is a brilliant destruction\re edit of Bush\Dubyas congress b/sht speech pre Iraq War on Utube.

BN.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                        • Dec 2010

Howdy doody Mr Bluesnik

Watch in the following order:

The Day Today

Brass Eye

then finally, Jam (which really is very black indeed...example below)

Last edited by Tenor Freak; 10-10-12, 14:18. Reason: Bose speakers

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                          • Dec 2010

Another Jam sketch...warning this is really very adult humour so don't watch if you are easily offended

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

Last of the OT Jam links...over and out

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Bruce, a fan of all! Most of them copied to old Vhs tapes, so now started to replace on Dvd.

Four Lions raises a gut laugh too, although it could have been far tougher.

BN.

Listening to a very good US podcast of Scott La Faro's 1959 output away from Evans. A bientot BBC.............

Comment

Working...
                              X