• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Byas'd Opinion
    • Sep 2024

JRR 29th Sept 2012: a victory over The System

I've beaten the BBC system!

After several failed attempts to get something played on JRR, one of my choices is on tonight, the second time I've had something played in two weeks. I gather this is not meant to happen:

We wouldn’t usually play two requests from the same person in such quick succession but it was only noticed when we were recording the programmes yesterday.
    "The Sorceror" went down well last week, so let's see what you make of "Jumping at the Woodside" by veteran ex-Savoy Sultan Benny Waters.

Actually, I've requested it because it's one of the few recordings the great Edinburgh pianist Alex Shaw ever made.

Shaw, who died in 2000, was one of the greatest jazz musicians ever to come from Scotland. However, because he remained based in Edinburgh rather than moving to London or New York, and because most of his career came before digital technology made recording cheaper and easier, he never really achieved the recognition that peers like Jimmy Deuchar, Bobby Wellins or Joe Temperley did. (Although many of the international musicians he worked with acknowledged his talent: Bobby Watson was apparently a great fan).

Late in his career he recorded a couple of dates as sideman for Hep records, one with Buddy de Franco and Martin Taylor, and the one with Benny Waters. To the best of my knowledge that's his entire recorded output.

I must admit I've never heard the track myself, so I'll be listening with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation.

Full track details:
    Artist Benny Waters

Title Jumpin at the Woodside

Composer basie

Album When You’re Smilin’

Label Hep

Number 2010 Track 10

Duration 5.59

Performers: Benny Waters as; Joe Temperley, bar; Roy Williams, tb; Alex Shaw, p; Ron Matthewson, b; Martin Drew, d. 1980.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

well done Byas'd and you have saved me a quarter of a post on the weekly thread!
    your selection also features a certain Mr Temperley on baritone sax
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Tell me how long, how long has that Barney Wilens been gone?

Playing "Porgy".

WTF.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Well that actually applies to the record, BN, (ie how long has it been gone) can't find the wretched thing, and the BBC never had one...but when I do, I haven't forgotten. Also it's getting round to long enough after the record you liked so much with the accordion to put your Pepper request in...but not for a couple of weeks yet as the programmes are continuing to be a bit Piano-season ish. Also, since May the number of requests has increased roughly four-fold. So apart from Byas's stroke of presenter-negligence-in-remembering-names good fortune, there are just lots more requests coming in - for which to any one reading this who's sent them, many thanks. Oh, and while I'm on, thanks to Alastair Robertson at Hep for finding the Benny W track and sending it down to JRR. The BBC's Alex Shaw collection is about as empty as its Barney Wilen shelf.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Thanks for that Alyn, I was starting to think that Barney being French, well maybe UKIP had raised an issue with management. Or something.

To please UKIP and me being Welsh, I was going to re-request say, Dil Jones playing Blues for a Bargoed Blast Furnace, but now I dont have to.

I wait and pray.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

I think the apposite Dill Jones track would be "There are no flowers in Tiger Bay". Mind you that was recorded before Torchwood...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Maybe! Tiger Bay long levelled to make way for ...er, progress. No more Vic Parker picking down the Dowlais with Big Nye Bevan on traps...and Shirley Basie waiting tables,

Talking of Europe. Just been watching film of Don Rendell and Ian Carr at Antibes in 1968. Superb, I dont think I realised how good they were at the time. Hangs head.

BN.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

Two requests in two weeks! Nice one. Just like London buses eh, Byas? (Too many memories of waiting on London Road in Isleworth for the next 237 home.)

I enjoyed the Sorceror v.much.

Alyn, has anyone put John Taylor forward for a piano request slot yet? Because I'd like to request one from the first Azimuth LP.
                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

Just looked at the playlist - nice to see a Jarrett Euro Qt. track, though it would have been nice to have had "Questar" instead. Mind you that's over nine minutes long.
                  all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Anna

I've managed, over the years, to have 3 requests on JRR (although haven't tried lately) Nice to know that requests are up four-fold. Does this mean that jazz really does have a place on R3 ......? Just turning it on now and volume up. Here's a suggestion: Ditch the dull as ditchwater Saturday Classics and let's have a Saturday afternoon of jazz. Sounds good to me!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Good idea but I'm not sure thats possible as the BBC now only has twenty jazz CDs in the Library and one Ken Colyer LP that they found yesterday in Oxfam.

Caroline Thompson did leave her Fats Domino on Fire cassette though. As a gesture.

BN.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Here's a suggestion: Ditch the dull as ditchwater Saturday Classics and let's have a Saturday afternoon of jazz. Sounds good to me!
                        Perhaps a "jazz zone"

Now that's a good idea!

Where have I heard that before...

OG

Comment

• grippie

I've managed to have 2 over the years, one with Peter Clayton and the other with Geoff. Also loaned a 78 to JRR for them to play for someone else's request, wasn't rare but they didn't have a copy .

Here's another one of those little radio4 gems (hopefully) coming up on Tuesday:
                          An intimate portrait of the musician Robert Wyatt in his own words and music.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Thanks for flagging that programme, grippie!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

I was listening to some of the music that Robert Wyatt recorded with Michael Mantler the other week. From time to time, I very much enjoy what Mantler has produced, especially with regard to his setting of texts. I think he is a bit of an acquired taste and some of the same "serialist" devises get used time and time again. However, in small doses, he can be extreme;y effective.

The 1980's often seem to get a bit derided on this board. Listening to Mantler, this music is hugely redolent of this era with it's mixture of classical, jazz and rock. You half imagine the musicians to be perfomring in Kenny Everett-style dungarees! I doubt if this kind of genre-busting political music would be possible these days and the use of synths on some tracks quickly throws the music backwards in a fashion that isn't always flattering. I love the punchy, rock orientated stuff and my compilation CD includes a setting of a Edward Gorey tale which is both hugely amusing and wonderfully performed by Robert Wyatt.

Comment

Working...
                              X