• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Mme Seyrig regrets that this is not her weekend

Alyn has Hawk and Benny carter with Django .... opens with the classic Waltz and closes with Miles The Sorcerer

Geoffrey will delight El Senor Blues with this week's focus on Horace Silver

Julian has the Tommy Evans Orch [have we been here before?] Working Week for 80s nostalgics and joe Locke

As part of Piano Season on the BBC, Jez Nelson presents an exclusive session by British pianist Alexander Hawkins and his sextet. Hawkins is one of the most distinctive pianists to have emerged in the last few years, embracing the avant-garde improvisation tradition as well as drawing on a wide range of jazz and classical influences. He co-leads the transatlantic Convergence Quartet with cornetist Taylor Ho Bynum and plays Hammond organ in trio Decoy, who recently collaborated with veteran saxophonist Joe McPhee. The debut of his UK-based six-piece ensemble was widely received as one of the best albums of 2009, and this session features new material from an as yet unrecorded third album. The group combines composed themes with delicately constructed collective improvisation, and its new line-up features violinist Dylan Bates, reeds player Shabaka Hutchings, guitarist Otto Fischer, bass player Neil Charles and Tom Skinner on drums.
    Jex
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

Interesting playlist from GSJ. Not much duplication with Horace's own selection for Jazz Library. Can it have been 5 years ago? Seems like yesterday! http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzlibrary/pip/vo58o/ Sadly not one of the episodes that survived as a podcast for the Radio 3 site...but I am pleased to say that the two editions of Jazz Library with St Sonny have now been added to the N-Z page of Jazz Library survivors.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
      Interesting playlist from GSJ. Not much duplication with Horace's own selection for Jazz Library. Can it have been 5 years ago? Seems like yesterday! http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzlibrary/pip/vo58o/ Sadly not one of the episodes that survived as a podcast for the Radio 3 site...but I am pleased to say that the two editions of Jazz Library with St Sonny have now been added to the N-Z page of Jazz Library survivors.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        Alex Hawkins really seems to be going places. It is well-deserved in his case, and I really really really strongly urge people to give his Ensemble, which I caught a few months ago at Ye Vortex, a concentrated listen. I rate this guy - these guys - very highly indeed. Dylan Bates was at the Coxhill event the other night. I told him, maybe we'd accidentally meet up some day, given that he lived in my district. "That's my brother Roland you're thinking of", he said.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Ive got the Horace Silver Library program on tape and excellent it is. I played it to a French friend only a week ago and she was really surprised that the BBC did this kind of in depth thing. I told her they don't anymore and Alyn now works in an accordian mill. Jus jowkin.

Can the BBC promo dept give Geoff Smith some fekin er, promo? I always forget its on...and why midnight?

BN.

And where's my JRR Barney Wilen request? Excellent Barney on Utube. I have new smartski phone.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

Alyn thanks for playing my Steely Dan request a couple of months back, and for the extended show last week which was a fine tenor fest, indeed. I was out so heard only the last few mins of today's prog but enjoyed the Basie (which I played many moons ago in a big band) and of course Miles at the end...

NP: Miles Davis - The Sorcerer
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I have new smartski phone.
              class traitor!

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

class traitor!

Nonsense...its a new cuban jazz phone that has a jazz accordian app. A kller.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Alexander Hawkins Ensemble

Whisper it, but we think this week's session is one of the best things we've heard so far this year. Pianist Alexander Hawkins has tweaked the line-up of his already acclaimed sextet and come back even stronger with this brand-new material.

Regular listeners will know that Hawkins' head contains a vast musical encyclopedia, from which he's selected No. 2 in our series of underappreciated pianists. And the breadth of influences he has absorbed – from Romantic to rock via blues, African grooves, free improv and a small fishing village in Greenland – can be heard throughout the session, but in an amazingly coherent way. Alex picks out guitarist Otto Fischer as the cornerstone of his band – and his understated playing in the opener feels like an oasis of calm around which the others poke and prod. The rhythm unit of Neil Charles (bass) and Tom Skinner (drums) might seem an unusual choice for a band that often heads into freer territories, but their groove-music nouse is a great addition, with Shabaka Hutchings on clarinets and especially violinist Dylan Bates lending a really distinctive colour to the session. And Hawkins' own playing is summed up by a solo piece mid-set, balancing space and restlessness, melody and
                  freedom. Don't be frightened by oblique titles like 'MO [-Ittoqqortoormit]' – this is kaleidoscopic, beautiful music.

Join Jez for all of this on Monday 24 September at 11pm, or listen online for seven days after broadcast.

The Jazz on 3 team

If you have comments about the show, or requests for music you’d like to hear, do get in touch at jazzon3@bbc.co.uk

Coming up:
                  01 October – Another chance to hear pianist John Law and his trio in session, plus a left-hand-only performance by Robert Mitchell
                  08 October – Music from the Leeds improvising scene, including Richard Ormrod's Home of the Brave and a solo set by guitarist Chris Sharkey
                  15 October – UK pianist Ivo Neame performs with his new octet, featuring Jason Yarde and Jasper Høiby
                  22 October – A concert of piano duos and a 6-pianist 'relay', featuring Matthew Bourne, Kit Downes, Alcyona Mick, Robert Mitchell, Liam Noble and Pat Thomas
                  a new cuban jazz phone that has a jazz accordian app. A killer. now they'll all want one!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

a new cuban jazz phone that has a jazz accordian app. A killer. now they'll all want one!
                    A Castrato???

Tomy Evans Orchestra - v interesting tunes and arrangements, if a little lacking vigour in the improv dept... but still.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Alex Hawkins really seems to be going places. It is well-deserved in his case, and I really really really strongly urge people to give his Ensemble, which I caught a few months ago at Ye Vortex, a concentrated listen. I rate this guy - these guys - very highly indeed.
                      agree strongly with those sentiments S_A ...... very rewarding listen, have also scored their album .... not the best on radio; music to return to ....

Comment

Working...
                      X