• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Jazz Jamaica

Of the 10 acts we've seen in the last 5 days Jazz Jamaica were one of the best.

Made particularly enjoyable because they had as a special guest, Myrna Hague, doing this very number
    Jazz Jamaica opening Day 1 on the Open Air Stage at WOMAD Charlton Park on 29th July 2011. This was Myrna Hague's first song as guest vocalist, and one of my...

Tres elegant, tres cool. A privilege to see her in action

Another poignant moment - in the foyer, the local East Midlands young jazzers (Rampage Jazz Band) were doing their incarnation of a New Orleans band; one of their chosen tracks was Valerie, made famous by Amy Winehouse who, as I'm sure you all remember, used to sing jazz on the club circuit in her early days. I noticed Robin Banerjee from Jazz Jamaica standing with them & clapping their leader on the back at the end of the track. Turns out that day was Amy's birthday and that he used to play with her when she was on that circuit.

I liked their trombonist, Harry Brown, the natural successor to Rico who, some might say, was the natural successor to Don Drummond - the audio heritage of a dynasty like that is bound to be a pleasure to listen to...he was an able leader had also written some of the arrangements. Their main repertoire being jazz interpretations of ska classics with a Mingus influence.
    Except they did play a James Bond theme tune selection - not quite sure how that fitted in with their celebration of 50 years of Jamacan independence, but worked for me.

then there were the Cuban numbers - to my shame I didn't realise that Cuba & Jamaica are only 50 miles apart which explains the strength of the cross-cultural pollination between the two...Buena Vista Social Club meet the Skatallites.

Their finale was My boy Lollipop - invigorating the song with the wonderful Myrna Hague letting rip and some incredible solos. Many feet were up and moving much to the pleasure of Mr Crosby (the actual leader).
    You always know it's a good gig when it seems to have ended much too soon....

A great live band with a tight, precise, believable (pace Mr. Sherratt) sound.
    Catch them if you get the chance.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks for this report GT. I've got some homework to do cos I've completely lost track of who's in this band these days, and being an outsider to the reggae scene Ms Hague is a name new to me ; but I've always loved their stuff, and Gary Crosby's done just so much good for jazz in this country these last 25+ years.

Glad you had such a good time!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Globaltruth where were the gigs?

Jazz Jamaica in Leicester end October
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Thanks for this report GT. I've got some homework to do cos I've completely lost track of who's in this band these days, and being an outsider to the reggae scene Ms Hague is a name new to me ; but I've always loved their stuff, and Gary Crosby's done just so much good for jazz in this country these last 25+ years.

Glad you had such a good time!
        From what I could gather, it seems the line-up is constantly evolving, it's even out of date on their website. They had an absolutely terrific trumpet player too, and I haven't got a clue who she was (one of those who stands motionless with head hung down then brings the place to a standstill when she lets rip - shivers down the spine job)

Myrna Hague is better known as a jazz singer I thought, although she did record for Coxsone Dodds Studio 1 which is known as a reggae studio..anyway, I'm not one for putting people into boxes, what do I know about jazz, she was absolutely terrific.

A rare opportunity to see her & just a wonderful night. If only there had been a little jerk chicken, rice and peas on offer...

Gary Crosby is indeed an unsung hero.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

I saw these guys years ago in Newcastle with Hugh Masekela - must admit I preferred Jazz Jamaica. I can thouroughly recommend Massive (2004) - My boy lollipop is featured on this disc.

Comment

Working...
          X