X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Lieb digs Ornette ~ Applying harmony to the harmolodics

Just listening to one of the new-ish CD by Dave Liebman (I say this as he seems to have a new disc out every other month) where his regular quartet of the last 20 or so years performs the music of the great Ornette Coleman. The disc is called "Turnaround" and includes the woe-fully under-appreciated Vic Juris on guitar.

What makes this unusual is that Liebman, one of the most harmonically astute jazz musicians around today, tackles the repertoire largely from Ornette's ground-breaking Atlantic era by adding sophisticated harmonies to the music. The overall effect isn't too disimilar to the album Ornette made with Pat Metheny although the method of improvisation is totally different. "Cross breeding" could easily have strayed off "Song X" whereas something like "Lonely Woman" is reinterpreted on a wooden flute so become a piece of Indian-like music making. "The blessing" re-emerges as a breezy be-bop theme and "Turnaround" is under-pinned by a snakey bass line that almost renders this as a new tune as opposed the bouncy original. The music does appear to be arranged in many instances too.

I find Dave Liebman a curious player. The music he produces is extremely intense and he is a musician who takes the whole jazz process in a serious and analytical manner. Sometimes I find this approach to be not very accessible and a little bit clinical although his commitment never seems less than 100%. In the liner notes, Liebman is pretty frank about Ornette's music and even goes so far as to state that the minor role harmony plays in Coleman's music means that hasn't been that influential on him. What he admires is his "seemingly never ending repository of lyrical melodies" which is something that most Ornette fans will be nodding their head in agreement. The liner notes conclude with an assessment of Ornette's harmonic tendancies within his improvisation and a summary that "as in all great music, it is the spiritthat shines brightest."

Having played this CD through once, I think that this is a pretty exceptional piece of music making it albeit probably the most "mainstream" interpretation of Ornette's music. The playing does go "outside" yet Liebman's approach is the polar opposite of Coleman's organic free-wheeling music that is as deep-rooted in the blues as Charley Patton. Juris is a revelation though - somewhere midway between Metheny and Frisell in his approach but eschewing the other two musician's "Americana" leanings.

Definately a CD checking out if you are curious. All in all, this is a very controversial approach to the music of Ornette Coleman and a fascinating one too. Juris is especially not afraid of mixing it yet the use of harmony tugs the music more towards the jazz mainstream - at odds perhaps with Ornette's original intention to liberate the music from set harmony. Reading the liner notes, it is fascinating to read between the lines that Ornette's improvisational tool kit is perhaps more "orthodox" and not quite as "free" as imagined. Fascinating to compare Ornette's earthier approach to Liebman's more theoretical one with regard to harmony and see than neither's music is any less corruscating when need be.

Seems to be that eventually Ornette has been embraced within the mainstream and what was once devisive amongst fans, musicians and critics alike, is finding the universal acclaim that his music deserves. I think this is a very good tribute from one of the more intelligent musicians of today to one of the seminal figures in all music of the 20th century.
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Thanks, Ian for calling attention to "Lieb'. I too have dug the Turnaround CD.

Lieb was recently featured in Down Beat magazine and he emphasized that his main 'axe' is the soprano saxophone.

For me, looking through my nearly two dozen cd's by this artist, I see that my preference has always been for the tenor.

Possibly because I seldom seek-out soprano-ists.

Always exceptions. Picked up a Jane Ira Bloom recently in a thrift store in Monterey.

One of my favorite sui generis emenating from Eve In The Garden.

If you were to seek-out a premiere Liebman release, it would have to be the live
    concert version of Coltrane's Meditations:

Comment

• charles t
      • Nov 2010

Forgot to add that upon listening to one of the many Liebman albums recently, I noticed how 'heavy' his tenor sound is compared to - say - present saxophonists out of the Michael Brecker school (for lack of a better definition) like the Chris Potters, Eric Alexanders, etc.

Almost like revisiting the Hawk vs. Prez 'dazes'.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

I've got a recording of the Jezzzz on 3 date Lieb did with Joe Lovano, commemorating 40 years since the death of Trane. IIRC Lieb plays tenor and does have a certain weight to his sound a la Hawk (as does Lovano, of course). Agree about sopranos: there's not many I seek out, Steve Lacy being one of the few. I'm not familiar with Jane Ira Bloom's music, but if memory serves she had a record deal with Columbia years ago when they still had a jazz dept. Another one to add to the (endless) list of artists to check out.
        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Lovano digs Bird listen today because it is the album, later it will be a live gig so listen then too [it sounds delightful]

[bless NPR - wonder what their jazz budget is]

The celebrated saxophonist and his percussion-heavy band have made a new album of Charlie Parker songs. But it isn't just that Lovano wants to play 1947 music with a 2011 lexicon; he also presents alternate, occasionally radical visions of those works.

gig coming up

How do you play the highly distinctive compositions of Charlie Parker while sounding like yourself? The monster tenor saxophonist gives it a shot with his double-drummer band Us Five.
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

Thank you, Calum for calling attention to those NPR's with Lovano. Still remember the night I saw the John Scofield Quartet with Joe and Bill Stewart on drums (one of the many, many under-rated New York cats) and Dennis Irwin? on bass.

There is a fine live CD of the group on the semi-legal Jazz Door label ... well worth the seek.

Bruce: Jane Ira Bloom's early release Art And Aviation is fascinating for her use of electronics. Not for the Purists, needless to say. Reminiscent of John Klemmer's use of the Echoplex - way back when.

Steve Lacy's concert stuff with Andrea Centazzo, perc. - in particular - Clangs, is very diggable...

I'm sure you have the live sets with Mal Waldron doing Monk...

Comment

• charles t
              • Nov 2010

Calum / Bruce:

Great item by Joe Lovano, Dave Liebman & Ravi Coltrane

Joe Lovano – Tenor Saxophone Ravi Coltrane – Tenor Saxophone Dave Liebman – Tenor & Soprano Saxophone Phil Markowitz – Piano Cecil McBe...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Bruce

I agree with your comments about Liebman's sound on tenor and it certainly adds a degree of clout to these interpretations of Ornette's music. That said, I am very partial to his soprano playing which I find hugely impressive. Probably the best practioner of this instrument today? The closing track, "The Sky," is fascinating as the music seems more akin to Albert Ayler although this original by Dave Liebman is very Ornettish.

Strange how Dave Liebman remains very much admired but not quite feted like Lovano or even Brecker. In some ways, I think he is more inclined to follow Lovano's lead and play some pretty "way out" music - you can find masses of his work with more experimental European players on amazon. The album with Christophe del Sasso, a former student, is interesting in that the music is very serial in it's approach. Always seems more appealing when jazz musicians work in this idiom than Classical composers where I feel the music is a bit dry and often too "Germanic" for my taste. I have seen DL perform live on two occasions but when I first saw his lock horns with Kenny Garrett in Copenhagen when KG was touring with a band that included Pat Metheny and Brian Blade, this has got to be one of the very best "jazz experiences" I have witnessed. definately worth the £40 price (1997) to hear this band. Absolutely staggering. Shame that I had to catch a fliught back the next day and missed Liebman's own quartet with Palle Daniellson and Bobo Stenson - I really regret this. Shame Denmark was so expensive - I had to change jobs after this holiday in order to pay off the cost! Always stuck to holiday's in France ever since.

Comment

Working...
                X