• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Wayne Shorter Gig in Brum

Exclusive UK date from enterprising new Midlands venture Jazzlines, featuring former Miles Davis and Weather Report sax star and jazz composer Shorter. Shorter's quartet (with Danilo Perez on piano, John Patitucci on bass and Brian Blade on drums) is one of the world's most subtly attuned jazz groups. Birmingham Town Hall, Birmingham, 1 November. thsh.co.uk
    now i can get a train to Brum!!!!
    graun fordham reviews autumn gigs ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Many streets, buildings, parks etc have been named after famous jazz musicians: the Church of St John Coltrane; Max Roach Park in Brixton; Beresford House near where I live, obviously named after Steve; and Shorter Avenue, somewhere I am not prepared to divulge in Essex to avoid traffic and parking problems, save to mention that it is located adjacent to Longer Avenue, named after Pete Long.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

There's a Coxhill Street in Glasgow and on CD:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Byas'd Opinion View Post
        There's a Coxhill Street in Glasgow and on CD:

I'd forgotten that - and I happen to have that CD!

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

There's a Thumwood Terrace just downt' road...
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
            There's a Thumwood Terrace just downt' road...
            Really? There's a Thumwood Close in Basingstoke (where my family comes from) but not aware of one in Devizes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              Really? There's a Thumwood Close in Basingstoke (where my family comes from) but not aware of one in Devizes.
              Does your family have strong connections with Basingstoke then, Ian?

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

SA

The paternal side of my family come from Basingstoke and I have traced a line directly back to the time of the Restoration of the 1660;s. There is another Thumwood who was around in the 1620s but haven't been able to make a connection to him (thanks to Cromwell destroying the parish records) as well as a barber and surgeon who was around in the reign of Henry VII. (from memory.) Back in those days Basingstoke was very much a small market town serving the rural community before it's association with John Arlott. v(Oddly enough, there are two Thumwood brothers who came from Harley Wintney and played cricket for the equivalent of England in the 1770's.) Never managed to suss out the origins of my name although I suspect it is a coruption of Thornwood which would make more sense. My maternal side has been more problematic although the links here all come from north Hampshire too.
                Last edited by Ian Thumwood; 11-09-12, 02:31.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

It's a great pity that Radio Three never broadcasts things like the Wayne Shorter gig in its entirety as the evening's main concert. I'm not asking for a live jazz concert every night, or even every week, but just once in a while, when there's something really special like this, would be nice.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

ah muck it! every mucking night why not?
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

I love Wayne Shorter's quartet which is probably the best band he's ever had. For me, it is the epitome was what great jazz should be about. It is a shame that Shorter alleges not to like making records with the result that although this group have been caught by numerous radio and tv broadcasters, their work remains undocumented commercially.

Comment

Working...
                      X