What singer recorded "I loves you porgy" with just solo elec. guitar accompaniment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott mc laughlin
    • Sep 2024

What singer recorded "I loves you porgy" with just solo elec. guitar accompaniment?

Years ago I came across a recording of this song which had just a solo electric guitarist for accompaniment: as far as I remember, possibly there was some subtle rhythm section also but the guitar was certainly most prominent.

I thought it might have been sarah vaughan or ella fitzgerald, it may also have been a live concert rather than studio: but not a bootleg, it was a CD from a library so must have been an official relase.

The guitar style was subtle but virtuosic, didn't overshadow the vocal. Chord voicings as I remember it were complex enough to make it probably at least 1960s performance, but not as complex as 80s jazz guitarists (apologies for vagueness of this, it was 10 years ago that I heard it so my impression has probably shifted).

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
    Scott

FWIW I've also posted this at AllAboutJazz forums with no luck so far.
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Greetings, Scott. Assume you have indefinite time on your hands to search.

Find information about "i loves you porgy" listen to "i loves you porgy" on AllMusic

Comment

• scott mc laughlin

Thanks Charles, I checked through the first eight pages of results, nothing jumped out but I'll keep hunting, perhaps not until the heat-death of the universe though

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Yes, welcome to the Forum, Scott. I can't help with your search, but I've had a very pleasant afternoon listening to various recordings by Ella, Nina, Billie (and even Whitney, who made it sound like more like Dolly than George!) - so thanks for that and good luck!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

yep; did all those, grippie: not a single electric guitar between 'em!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Northender

Did Charlie Christian record this number with any of the great jazz divas?

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

Tom Lord's discography shows no recording of this song by a singer with guitar accompaniment. Nor of a singer with a guitar trio accompaniment.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I thought I would give Google a go..........

How about Thu Tran?

(Not electric though)
                Last edited by Guest; 30-08-12, 22:00.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

.........Here's an odder suggestion.

Jeff Buckley.

Last edited by Guest; 30-08-12, 22:16.

Comment

• scott mc laughlin

thanks all, I'll check these out tomorrow.

Comment

• grippie

Ella in Rome: The Birthday Concert has a version of it: http://www.allmusic.com/album/ella-i...t-mw0000652018

Ella Fitzgerald & a Joe Pass solo - My old flame: http://youtu.be/7kgizTtRhMQ

Sheila Jordan's lovely Who can I Turn to, on her Portrait of Sheila (1962 Blue Note), just has Barry Galbaith on guitar.

Comment

• scott mc laughlin

Thanks Grippie, you've sent me in the right direction, mystery solved. It was Ella Fitzgerald (as I originally thought) but it wasn't the Gershwin track, it was Ellington's "(in my) Solitude" with Barney Kessel on guitar.

I was confused because both songs start with the same ascending I-ii-iii chord progression, and the vocal lines have a vaguely similar contour.

thanks again.

Originally posted by grippie View Post
                        Ella in Rome: The Birthday Concert has a version of it: http://www.allmusic.com/album/ella-i...t-mw0000652018

Ella Fitzgerald & a Joe Pass solo - My old flame: http://youtu.be/7kgizTtRhMQ

Sheila Jordan's lovely Who can I Turn to, on her Portrait of Sheila (1962 Blue Note), just has Barry Galbaith on guitar.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

it wasn't the Gershwin track, it was Ellington's "(in my) Solitude" with Barney Kessel on guitar.
                          no worries scott .... clear as mud mate .... but nothing defeats DA BORED!!!!!!!
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• charles t
                            • Nov 2010

Anyone else hearing chord progressions from de Angel Gabriel, these days?

Comment

Working...
                            X