X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

The bass in jazz

There's a fascinating 22-page feature on the bass in music in the current WIRE magazine(JULY 2012).
    One album they should have mentioned is Barre Phillips' 'Camouflage'(VICTO cd 08) - an astonishing solo acoustic bass performance recorded live at Vancouver's Western Front in 1989 and totally gripping for all its 55 minutes.
    Can boredees recommend any other great jazz bass albums(solo or otherwise)?

Discover Camouflage by Barre Phillips released in 1989. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Mingus Group Live in Paris in '64 [i think] long solo by the man on ellington tune

Eric Dolphy with Richard Davis [various names but only one recording]

Ornette Coleman Trio at The Golden Circle I & II ...David Izensen inspires ...

and Richard Davis any time any place
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Were the Ellington/Blanton sides the first ones to really make a feature of the bass? There's a handful of duets by them, plus some great stuff with Blanton playing with the full Duke Ellington orchestra, for instance "Jack the Bear": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJafglIOymw

Coming more up to date, there are a couple of albums featuring Arild Andersen in a solo horn / bass / drums trio format which I think are excellent: his own "Live at Belleville" with Tommy Smith and Paolo Vinaccia, and Albert Mangelsdorff's "Triplicity" (with Pierre Favre on drums).

Comment

Working...
      X