• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

In Ecclesia - Murder in the cathedral?

at the prompt of S_A a thread on jazz in church ... sometimes just in the building more often in the spirit

the Officium recording [et seq] by Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble started it off on the other thread but Tracey, Garrick in the UK and Ellington obviously have composed in the spirit

apart from Gabarek, Acoustic Triangle have focused as much on the in the building .. but not neglected in the spirit ...

eg

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I liked the first Hillards / Garbarek CD , it was an inspired idea well executed
    but this (to my ears) has little of interest, very well played, sung and produced but feels very superficial in content.........

whereas this

http://www.ondarock.it/recensioni/2009_fieldpotter.htmsacred space music, modern creative, modern classical

is something else all together

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

yep sure is not jazz

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Interesting clip, with, if I'm not mistaken Jim Philip on flute and clarinet. In which case it's Oct 25, 68 (not inconsistent with the Feb 69 TX date on the titles) . Mike always said his own recording (as issued on Airborne) had to be done on one stereo mike, but there was clearly a French TV unit recording it in better quality than that...I wonder if the entire French soundtrack survives? I'd never seen the footage before, so thanks for the post.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

PS another interesting use of cathedral space is Surman's Proverbs and Songs, on ECM, but recorded by Radio 3 (indeed by the same engineer who frequently works on JRR!) and originally presented on air by me...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

don't you just know that the minute you open them church doors the arcane is going to pop out and wave at you ..

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

There are also plenty of venues which are ex-churches: the Tron Theatre here in Glasgow (not used much for music, but I think it's a great hall for medium-sized acoustic or semi-acoustic gigs), and the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh:

Unless it's been done up in the last couple of years, it still has remarkably uncomfortable pews at the sides and back: perfect for ensuring you don't endanger your immortal soul by falling asleep during a two hour sermon.

Comment

Working...
              X