• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    A comment on here made me REALLY feel old -"My father used to play this" -

I think the problem is if you want to go 'funky' in the post James Brown sense yo have to turn the music upside down and "inhabit the groove" I think someone once said. Hancock and Quincy Jones produced a lot of Jazzy dance music not really "Jazz Rock fusion" at all.

PS Freudian 'yo' in there somewhere
    Last edited by burning dog; 04-06-12, 21:39.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
      A comment on here made me REALLY feel old -"My father used to play this" -

I think the problem is if you want to go 'funky' in the post James Brown sense yo have to turn the music upside down and "inhabit the groove" I think someone once said. Hancock and Quincy Jones produced a lot of Jazzy dance music not really "Jazz Rock fusion" at all.

PS Freudian 'yo' in there somewhere
      Yo ho ho and a barrel of House, if you'll pardon the pun.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I think Herbie acknowledges his original inspiration for that top-selling Headhunters album was as much Kraftwerk's blips and bleeps as James Brown funk. I always liked Herbie's sense of humour in this type of music, it's very much part of the music it comes from of course, but not often given full recognition because the mathematical ingenuity is seen almost as an end in itself, and because the other main American fusion outfits of the time (Return to Forever, Mahavishnu, Weather Report) took themselves so seriously.

Herbie took a lot of critical flak for his visiting band of 2 years ago's cover versions of Chameleon and the funked up Watermelon Man - a good friend of mine describing that performance as "disgusting and fraudulent"; but my guess is that funk for Herbie was always as much a matter of fun as his work with Miles had been in deadly earnest; one of many things I really like about him is that he never takes himself too seriously, ("I made that Headhunters album when I realised I was never going to produce anything original" or words to that effect). And in any case, if Herbie's not allowed to deconstruct his own tunes, what's the world coming to?

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

"US pianist Robert Glasper and his electric Experiment band in concert. Glasper is one of the most exciting artists to emerge in the last few years, with a language strongly influenced by hip-hop as well as musicians such as Herbie Hancock. He has received rave reviews on previous trips to the UK, with both his acoustic trio and this band, which draws heavily on neo soul, funk and R&B. Their latest album, Black Radio, is causing a stir on both sides of the Atlantic in its quest to bring jazz to a new audience, with guest appearances by numerous stars of the urban music world. The band features Casey Benjamin on saxophone and vocoder, bassist Derrick Hodge and drummer Mark Colenburg, with a special guest appearance by vocalist Bilal. "

Oi like it Eth! - Give it 5.

Glasper proves music does not have to be abstruse or esoteric in order to be cutting edge, or at least "of its time" and not historic, as stated by Glasper.

Particularly liked Love Supreme, he brought out the meditational aspect well.
          And the singer Bilal. A very good voice, and quite inventive in improvisation - but not scat, thank goodness.
          But I agreed with Gilles that the Vocoder was overdone - couldn't he reprogram it occasionally to relieve the boredom?

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

"with a finger snapping follow up to Roy Haynes Geoffrey showcases Jimmie Lunceford

JLU BBC BIG BAND ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

Well that fills a gap in my musical knowledge. Ashamed to admit that I have not listened to Jimmie Lunceford previously. But fully equal to the Duke and Basie.

And now I know why I enjoy so much Stan Kenton's Intermission Riff - a "derivation" of Yard Dog Mazurka. And then Black Coffee - another derivation, but this time straightforward theft.
            Last edited by Quarky; 05-06-12, 21:22.

Comment

Working...
            X