Farewell Geoffrey Smith Tea Time on Saturday Will Never Be The Same!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Farewell Geoffrey Smith Tea Time on Saturday Will Never Be The Same!!!!!!!!

Music played

Jack Teagarden — Farewell Blues

Composer: Mares / Schoebel Performers: Charlie Teagarden (tp), Jack Teagarden (tb), Benny Goodman (cl), Rod Cless (cl & as), Buddy Fisk (as), Dale Skinner (cl & ts), Bud Freeman (ts), Charlie LaVere (p), Dick Mcpartland (g), Eddie Gilbert (b), Bob Conselman (d) (tr, Neil Marhsall (d) Recorded: 1931
    Father of Jazz Trombone, Avid AMSC 765, Tr. 7, 2.54
    Sandy Brown — African Queen

Composer: Brown, Fairweather Performers: Sandy Brown (cl), Al Fairweather (tp), Jeremy French (tb), Ian Armit (p), Diz Disley (g), Brian Parker (b), Graham Burbidge (d) Recorded: 1956
    British Jazz From the 1950s Vol. 2, Upbeat URCD213 (1), Tr. 3, 3.44
    Tony Coe Tony Coe — Bali Ha'i

Composer: Rodgers Performers: Tony Coe (cl), John Picard (tb), Ian Armit(p), Brian Brocklehurst (b), Eddie Taylor (d) Recorded: 1958
    Blackstick, Pye NJL 20, S1/1, 3.42
    Count Basie Count Basie — Doggin' Around

Composer: Herschel Evans Performers: Count Basie (p), Herschel Evans (ts), Buck Clayton (tr), Earl Warren (as), Jack Washington (bs), Lester Young (ts), Jo Jones (d) Recorded: 1938
    "One O'Clock Jump" - Swing Classics of the Golden Era, Saville CDSVL211 (1), Tr. 7, 2.59
    Charlie Parker Charlie Parker — Confirmation

Composer: Charlie Parker Performers: Charlie Parker (as), Al Haig (p), Percy Heath (b), Max Roach (d) Recorded: 1953
    Ken Burns Jazz, Verve 549 084-2, Tr. 16, 2.56
    Allen Toussaint — Tipitina and Me

Composer: Allen Toussaint Performers: Allen Toussaint (p) Recorded: 2005
    Our New Orleans 2005, Nonesuch 7559799342 (1), Tr. 15, 2.48
    Ben Webster Ben Webster — Do Nothin’ til You Hear From Me

Composer: Duke Ellington / Bob Russell Performers: Ben Webster (ts), Jimmy Hamilton (cl), Teddy Wilson (p), Wendell Marshall (b), Osie Johnson (d) Recorded: 1955
    Music For Loving, Verve 5277742 (2), D.1, Tr. 14, 4.44
    Tubby Hayes Tubby Hayes — Guys and Dolls

Composer: Loesser Performers: Tubby Hayes (ts), Ronnie Scott (ts), Terry Shannon (p), Phil Bates (b), Bill Eyden (d) Recorded: 1958
    Tubby Hayes: 3 Classic Albums Plus, Avid AMSC 1014, D.1, Tr. 4, 8.35
    Duke Ellington & His Orchestra Duke Ellington & His Orchestra — Looking Glass

Composer: Duke Ellington Performers: Duke Ellington (p), John Lamb (b), Sam Woodyard (d) Recorded: 1966
    The Pianist, Fantasy OJCCD7172 (1), Tr. 3, 2.52
    Cannonball Adderley — One For Daddy-O

Composer: Cannonball Adderley Performers: Cannonball Adderley (as), Miles Davis (tp), Hank Jones (p), Sam Jones (b), Art Blakey (d) Recorded: 1958
    Cannonball Adderley: Three Classic Albums Plus, Avid AMSC 1022, D.1, Tr. 4, 8.22
    Johnny Guarnieri — Stealin' Apples

Composer: Waller / Razaf Performers: Recorded:
    Johnny Guarnieri Plays Fats Waller, Taz-Jaz Records TJZ 1002, S2/6, 7.40

Broadcast

Sat 28 Apr 2012
    21:30
    BBC Radio 3
    Geoffrey Smith presented a selection of listeners' jazz requests for years and years and years .........

Mr Smith we can not thank you enough and we wish you all the very best in your new programme and eagerly anticipate the bending of notes etc

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Anna

Geoffrey Smith and JRR was always on as I prepared food, it was part of Saturday, cooking and listening to him. He even played three of my requests!! So, it's really sad that he hasn't been part of my culinary experience since they changed the schedule and we have the absolutely boring Met now which means instant turn off of R3. One of my requests he played was Avishai Cohen, which was cool
    Last edited by Guest; 28-04-12, 16:18.

Comment

• grippie

Geoffrey, many thanks for all the wonderful programmes and playing my request.

My favourite JRR has got to be the 30 March 2000 one which featured the JRR requests concert from Ronnie Scotts in London with Geoffrey as compere. I was there and at the end of it Stan Tracey kindly signed my copy of his Under Milk Wood.

Look forward to hearing you on your new programme.

Robin

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Tea time, you must be joking. JRR displaced again by an opera, the perfomance of which even the operati on these boards seem to find somewhat below standard! (http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...alkure-28-4-12).

OG

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Endorsed.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

I'm not a big jazz fan but I often have listened to JRR and love GS's style and succinct introductions.

Yes - many thanks Geoffrey for years of serendipitous pleasure.

And goodbyyye!
            Last edited by kernelbogey; 28-04-12, 20:25. Reason: typo

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I'm sad to hear that the GS teatime programme has ended. I didn't hear it today - when is his new prog on then, hope it's not in the middle of the night?

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

Thank you Geoffrey for all those years of JRR. As a parting gesture I see Radio £3 has shunted you off to 21:30; still, at least they haven't truncated the show to 25 minutes as they have done in the past.

Best of luck with the new show, even though I have a sneaking suspicion that it will also be a moveable feast too. And then "postponed" to make way for Through the Night.
                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• pilamenon
                  • Nov 2010

Agree 100%, Calum. Geoffrey Smith has been a Saturday afternoon fixture.

Good to have Alyn Shipton back - can't think of a better replacement. And also good news that Geoffrey Smith has another programme.
                  Last edited by pilamenon; 28-04-12, 21:41. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Always felt that Geoffrey Smith was a friendly Uncle kind of figure. Always knowledgeable and a real sport for being on the old "Ron Coltrane" joke too. Endorse the comments made above 100% - a voice of calm and reason after the excitement of the football at St. Marys.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                      Geoffrey Smith presented a selection of listeners' jazz requests for years and years and years .........

Mr Smith we can not thank you enough and we wish you all the very best in your new programme

:
                      Yes I completely agree with Calum.

But I can't avoid being serious, and the requests in tonight's show just highlighted something I feel is a problem of the basic format of the show.

That is two great tracks, Basie and Charlie Parker, joined together with Geoffrey's profound insight on the formative influences on Bird. I listened with what felt like a new pair of ears.

But no time to dwell on this fundamental aspect of modern jazz. Must press on to the next (next but one) track - Ben Webster with strings? What's that got to do with anything? Ben please go back in the reed section.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

oh dear i adore that Ben Webster album! ... and the point of JRR that it is absolutely anything ...and GS carried it off so well for so long ....

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Please, what is Geoffrey's new programme and when?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X