X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

As one door closes, another opens

OK, so Radio £3 has effectively abandoned Saturday afternoons but have no fear, 6music steps in, with Gilles Peterson's show.

Joining the musical dots: soul, hip-hop, house, Afro, Latin, electronica, jazz and beyond.

It's not all jazz; he plays a lot of non-jazz material but last weekend when I switched the show on, he was playing Don Cherry and the JCOA, which I don't remember hearing on Radio £3.

My intention is to listen to Gilles until 5pm or whatever graveyard slot JRR is shunted off to.
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

I'm glad to see you like that Schubert stuff
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
      OK, so Radio £3 has effectively abandoned Saturday afternoons but have no fear, 6music steps in, with Gilles Peterson's show.

Joining the musical dots: soul, hip-hop, house, Afro, Latin, electronica, jazz and beyond.

It's not all jazz; he plays a lot of non-jazz material but last weekend when I switched the show on, he was playing Don Cherry and the JCOA, which I don't remember hearing on Radio £3.

My intention is to listen to Gilles until 5pm or whatever graveyard slot JRR is shunted off to.
      Also worth a listen in my book is One O'Clock Jump - Saturday 1pm (when else) on Jazz FM - one of the better Jazz FM programmes with some interesting material.

I guess generally I'm in favour in mixing up Jazz with other musical sources. If there is one criticism I would have of Jazz on the radio is that it tends to be too narrowly focussed.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

Good point, Oddball. It's good to check things out on the borders. Gilles is probably best placed to do that.
        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

hooray etc ...... no irony genuine enthusiasm here!!!!
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• grippie

Gilles Peterson's

Yes he's out of the grave shift spot and been transferred to the more mature 6 music Saturday afternoon with an extra hour too.

I've been downloading his show onto cassettes and mini discs
            for years for my daughter,

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Listened to Gilles Peterson Saturday. Enjoyed the show until about 5 pm, where a boring interview with a drummer was just going on and on -so switched off at that point.

Gilles is a new one on me, but I gather he is a known quantity, and judging from adverse comments on World Routes Board, not altogether popular.

I was surprised that BBC had granted Gilles such a long lease - was the show 3 hours long? - on the air waves, and there was hardly enough to fill the space. In contrast in Radio 3, there is huge pressure on air time, and Jazz in the main shunted to the graveyard slot.

So somewhere sometime there must be a place for us.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Thanks for post re. Radio 6. Seems to have a lot to recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                X