X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus ~ 90th anniversary

Charles Mingus would have been 90 on April 22, 2012. Here he is with Eric Dolphy in Oslo, 1964:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

from this fan blog

one of the truly great artists of the twentieth century
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

from this fan blog

one of the truly great artists of the twentieth century

How long now before someone comes on and says, "strange how he hardly influenced anyone who came after"?

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

How long now before someone comes on and says, "strange how he hardly influenced anyone who came after"?
        Strange that people say that

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Download: http://v.blnk.fr/A5h7cP7h--JazzAndBluesExperience♫ SUBSCRIBE HERE : http://bit.ly/10VoH4l(Re)Discover the Jazz and Blues greatest hits ! ♫ JazznBlu...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Thanks BD - hadn't seen the Kirk clips before.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Strange that people say that

Nat Hentoff has something to say on this which is a deserved accusation aimed at Wynton M for cutting Mingus at the Lincoln Centre
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• burning dog
              • Dec 2010

Cuneiform Records, Wayside Music, Avant-Guard, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Blast, Boom, David Borden, Mother Mallard, Boud Deun, Cartoon, George Cartwright, Chainsaw Jazz, Guigou Chenevier, Curlew, Elton Dean, Delivery, Daniel Denis, Djam Karet, Doctor Nerve, Paul Dunmall Octet, 5uu's, Forrest Fang, Forever Einstein, Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser, Peter Frohmader, Grits, Happy Family, Happy The Man, Hugh Hopper, The Hosemobile, Hughscore, Kombinat M, Piero Milesi, Phil Miller, Miriodor, Virgil Moorefield, Motor Totemist Guild, The Muffins, Mujician, Otolithen, PFS, Philharmonie, Richard Pinhas, Heldon, Present, Rattlemouth, Schizotrope, Soft Machine, Thinking Plague, Steve Tibbetts, U Totem, Univers Zero, Unsettled Scores, Volapuk, Von Zamla, Vrtacek, Gary Windo, Orion Studio, Steve Feigenbaum, Bill Ellsworth, Mail Order CD, Progressive, Jazz, Zappa, Mahavishnu, Kenso, brotherhood of breath, picchio dal pozzo, raoul bjorkenheim, crawling wind, rich woodson

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I missed that Bracknell Hoarded Dreams. Graham Collier did me a tape of it.

Thanks Graham - wherever you are!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I enjoy jazz but my experience of it is limited. I only took note of Mingus through his collaboration with Joni Mitchell including their T S Eliot 4 Quartets project which never materialised due to his early death. Unlike some, I liked her Mingus album very much. I only have one of his albums - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady - quite recently acquired. It is a compelling piece of work.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady - quite recently acquired. It is a compelling piece of work.
                    itis indeed gurnemanz

you might consider these:

there are many other live recordings and studio albums but these are three of his finest

this is one of his finest smaller ensembles

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

On JRR today!(21/4/12)
                      Ted Curson - Trumpet: Eric Dolphy - Alto Sax:Booker Ervin - Tenor Sax:Charles Mingus - Bass: Dannie Richmond - Drums.Recorded 16th July 1960 under the pines ...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                        • Dec 2010

Ah Um one of my favourite albums...I've long thought that if Mahler had written "Self Portrait in Three Colors" it would be much better known
                        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

nah only mingus could've Bruce but it should be better known

Comment

• PUSB
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            nah only mingus could've Bruce but it should be better known

Absolutely brilliant track.

Comment

Working...
                            X