John Escreet ~ Britain's best kept jazz secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

John Escreet ~ Britain's best kept jazz secret?

Having ploughed through the Criss Cross library I was intrigued to come across the name of John Escreet which was familiar but somehow had not really registered. I've been playing the samples of his various CD's which include familiar favourites such as Nashait Waits, David Binney and Amrose Akimusire. Whilst I suppose we have all become accustomed to twenty-something virtuoso players, it still came as something of a shock to realise that one of the most exciting new talents in the New York scene actually comes from Donaster! The samples are extremely impressive and definately something that fans of the likes of Craig Taborn should really check out.

Ashamed to day that I had seen his name in the past but never heard any of his music or knew anything of his history. He therefore seems to me to just have emerged on the scene very quickly indeed and without the kind of fuss merited by the likes of some of those British players who have chosen to remain in the UK. Apparent;y he was at last year's London Jazz festival on a double billing with Henry Threadgill but his set didn't seem to merit comment on this board. Wonder if anyone went? Back in the 80's, there seemed to be a whole generation of certain players who emerged with their own identity and vision as to how jazz should be played. Many nailed their manifesto directly to the Miles / Blakey / Coltrane mast but it appears that the current crop of players under the age of thirty have categorically rejected this option and seen fit to push the music in a more contemporary vein which is both more exciting and more in the spirit perhaps of what jazz should be about. I think John Escreet is a name that you can add to the list of players like Ambrose Akinmusire, Walter Smith III, J D Allen, Gretchen Parlato, Robert Glasper, Joe Sanders and Esperanza Spalding who are helping to define the second decade of the 21st century as one of the richest for new talent since the mid 1980's when there was a reaction against the New-neos which saw jazz get back on the right track.

Here is a link to John Escreet's website and you can see he has already worked with some pretty heavy musicians!
    Previously I had only considered Doncaster in the light of their snarling and ugly football team but it is good to see than something far more encouraging has also emerged from South Yorkshire! Potentially one of this country's most exciting jazz musicians???? I will definately be snapping up some of his efforts judging by the quality of the samples!

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

wow thanks Ian he was a secret as far as i was concerned ...

interesting to see that he studied with Kenny Barron and Jason Moran in Manhattan .... and lives in Brooklyn, hotbed of jazz these days...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• charles t
      • Nov 2010

Yes, John Escreet is not an unknown on this side of the pond, for sure.

One more example of exquisite musicianship, by another UK contemporary pianist:

[courtesy of: Tom Cawley's Curios Trio]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Escreet, not secreet Calum

Great stuff! Couldna happened without free jass, mind....

Comment

• grippie

He sounds very fresh too, nice to hear.

Ian, I wonder if does a version of the Saints, you could listen to it at the end of a successful season. cheers

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Grippie

Good to see that you have popped in.

Well, after yesterday's performance on TV, they will find it difficult to go up automatically. They were abject last night and I hope Lambert will be back to give Portsmouth the thumping that they derserve next weekend. Lallana was dreadful and the onyl player to come out with any credit was Kelvin Davies. Shame Tanadari Lee was missing too as he is quite useful when he has played. Still hoping for the double whammy of Saints going up and Pompey going down. We ave still got to play Reading who are one fire at the moment. I think West Ham deserve promotion too but you wonder whether one of the teams placed 4-6th will pip the 3rd placed team in the play-off. I don't think that any of those teams in the play-off merit going up in place of the Hammers.

I'll be curious to see how much my season ticket goes up if we do get promoted!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

hi grippie trust you and yours are keeping well!
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

I enjoyed that John Escreet clip - thanks Ian.

When will Jizz on £3 get round to having him on, I wonder?
                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

I've been playing John Escreet's "Don't fight the inevitable" which includes the likes of Ambrose Akinmusire, David Binney and Nasheet Waits. Although I've only given if one spin, the music really reminds me of Andrew Hill's work although I think Escreet does owe a lot fo Cecil Taylor is many respects too. However, it is the darkness of the music which makes comparisons with Hill inevitable even though the compositions desmontrate a degree of writing / arrangement as opposed to head-solo-head kind of playing. Considering his age, it is an extremely mature set which also includes a Muhal Richard Abrams tune with Charlie Parker's words pasted in to the arrangement. i suppose that it should be filed under "avant garde" and I would suggest exactly in the Jazzrook territory of good, honest adventurous jazz.

Comment

Working...
                  X