X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Peter Saberton - RIP

I only just read of Pete's death from myeloma in the latest Vortex programme.

Yorkshire-born, Pete came into jazz by way of NYJO at the beginning of the 1970s. A self-described autodidact, he was of the group that produced the generation that followed in the shadow of the John Surmans, John Taylors and Keith Tippetts of this world, including trumpeter Dick Pearce, saxophonists Pete Hurt, Chris Biscoe and Tim Whitehead, all of whom he has maintained intermittent musical relationships. John Taylor regarded Pete highly - at one point describing him as representing the next stage in jazz piano after Herbie Hancock - and Henry Lowther described him to me as "a genius".

Pete would probably admit that his underexposure was as much down to his own unpushiness as the course of jazz evolution. His main income seems to have come from teaching, and I have only one CD to his own name - the 2001 CD "Rich Core", on Juce Records - a trio with Fred Thelonius Baker on electric bass and drummer Tony Levin, though since the Don Rendell 1979 release "Earth Music" he has appeared on many others', for which I will need to scour my index cards if anyone here is interested, yet Pete did several broadcasts for Radio 3 in the 1980s, in a group with Eddie Parker playing his own sometimes quirky, often very beautiful compositions, and a trio with John Taylor and Steve Arguelles called Foil, which on one occasion joined forces and toured with Vocal Summit (Norma Winstone, Uszula Dudziac, Jay Clayton). To the end he was in Eddie Parker's Hermeto Pascoal-esque group and Henry Lowther's Still Waters.

I think Pete was a perfectionist: for him free jazz and free improvised music was too prone to charlatanry, though as a free improviser himself in passages allocated for him to freely extemporise he was equal to the best, in my own view. One often sensed considerable effortfulness in his giving full attention as to how to back the soloist, but most importantly to build a solo without resort to commonplace or cliche, thinking each step at a time yet, while holding back on fast technique, though fully capable of it, creating allusive self-contained compositional structures entirely his own that were capable of removing one from whatever the song in question was in the way Herbie Hancock succeeded in doing on Miles's "My Funny Valentine".

Influenced I think by the rich new approaches to sonority introduced by Django Bates (whom he admired greatly) and others into the Loose Tubes repertoire, Pete had a fine ear for orchestration, which will be celebrated in a celebration to Pete to be held at The Vortex on the 15th April at 4 pm. I just found this interview with Pete, which I intend to read later:

Pete deserves greater recognition, and will be missed.

Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 13-04-12, 17:43. Reason: to correct "myeloma"
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Some more tributes here:

The Alex Hutton interview with Pete also downloadable from here is a worthwhile listen
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 29-03-12, 22:24.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

From The Vortex April programme - this coming Sunday, at 4 pm, *please note*:

"London Jazz Orchestra - New Vortex Sessions

Celebrating Saberton

Pete Saberton, tremendously creative pianist, composer, and founding member of the LJO, sadly died last month of myeloma, a rare form of cancer.

Today the LJO celebrate his wit and creativity with a special gig featuring some of the many pieces he's written for the band.

The LJO "Vortex Sessions" are London's longest-running jazz residency. The big band of great soloists and writers, directed by Scott Stroman, and featuring a host of top players including Henry Lowther, Pete Hurt, Martin Speake, Josephine Davies, Paul Clarvis, Alec Dankworth, Noel Langley and Trevor Mires, consistently produces performances that are fun and exciting. Check out these up-close-and-personal monthly gigs"

And all for a paltry £8 (me)

S-A

Comment

• handsomefortune

i hope the celebrations today hit the spot, and that ljo and audience gave it lordy!

also that peter saberton's work attracts the attention it deserves posthumously, as sometimes happens.

Comment

• Martin Speake

I was lucky to play with Pete in a quartet with Tim Wells, Bryan Spring (and later Paul Clarvis) in the 90's and also more recently in the London Jazz Orchestra where he regularly inspired me and others with his unique compositions and playing. He has left a big hole in the British jazz scene and left it far too early.
          He is part of that lineage of pianists ( including John Taylor and Gordon Beck) who were initially inspired by US musicians but then developed their own concept
          I was also lucky to have interviewed him in 2010.
          Here is a link to this http://martinspeake.tumblr.com/ for those of you who might be interested.

The audio can be heard at the LJO website

Home page of The London Jazz Orchestra, an orchestra / ensemble from London

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
            i hope the celebrations today hit the spot, and that ljo and audience gave it lordy!

also that peter saberton's work attracts the attention it deserves posthumously, as sometimes happens.

Glad to say it all went off very well to a full house - 9 of Sabbo's complex intriguing charts performed with the illusory effortlessness the LJO under the affable Scott Stroman unfailingly seems to major in. Great solos from Martin Speake and Noel Langley, especially, and Alcyona Mick more than adequately taking Pete's place at the piano.

Recordings from LJO performances at the Vortex are we were informed accessible on the orchestra's website

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Martin Speake View Post
              I was lucky to play with Pete in a quartet with Tim Wells, Bryan Spring (and later Paul Clarvis) in the 90's and also more recently in the London Jazz Orchestra where he regularly inspired me and others with his unique compositions and playing. He has left a big hole in the British jazz scene and left it far too early.
              He is part of that lineage of pianists ( including John Taylor and Gordon Beck) who were initially inspired by US musicians but then developed their own concept
              I was also lucky to have interviewed him in 2010.
              Here is a link to this http://martinspeake.tumblr.com/ for those of you who might be interested.

The audio can be heard at the LJO website

http://londonjazzorchestra.com/
              Most kind, Martin. Thanks, and welcome to "the bored"

Comment

• Alisha

I thought he was still there – somewhere, contentedly playing. Today I found out so late he's gone. So sad. I used to sing in restaurants and bars in the 80s, places like L'Escargot. He often played the piano for me – brilliantly. I first met him in Ronnie Scotts in the early 80s. I'd had a gig 'upstairs' but came down to listen and was blown away. Pete was there and was somehow so encouraging and gently supportive of my nascent love of the music I was hearing. That night it was Victor Feldman and his young son on drums. I started singing jazz standards and Pete Hurt transposed a whole bunch of great songs into keys that better suited my voice. Pete later asked if he could use a drawing of mine for the cover of Year Of The Buffalo. I was delighted. I even drew a little buffalo to stick on to the drawing temporarily to give it more pertinence. Pete arranged three of my songs which we recorded with the bass player Chucho Merchan and the drummer Brian Abrahams. It was great session and I still have the tapes. I need to get them 'out there'. Pete's arrangements were far out – Martian even, or perhaps Saturnian. Mercurial? He was sweet man, very deep.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alisha View Post
                  I thought he was still there – somewhere, contentedly playing. Today I found out so late he's gone. So sad. I used to sing in restaurants and bars in the 80s, places like L'Escargot. He often played the piano for me – brilliantly. I first met him in Ronnie Scotts in the early 80s. I'd had a gig 'upstairs' but came down to listen and was blown away. Pete was there and was somehow so encouraging and gently supportive of my nascent love of the music I was hearing. That night it was Victor Feldman and his young son on drums. I started singing jazz standards and Pete Hurt transposed a whole bunch of great songs into keys that better suited my voice. Pete later asked if he could use a drawing of mine for the cover of Year Of The Buffalo. I was delighted. I even drew a little buffalo to stick on to the drawing temporarily to give it more pertinence. Pete arranged three of my songs which we recorded with the bass player Chucho Merchan and the drummer Brian Abrahams. It was great session and I still have the tapes. I need to get them 'out there'. Pete's arrangements were far out – Martian even, or perhaps Saturnian. Mercurial? He was sweet man, very deep.
                  Hi Alisha, you must be Alisha Sufit, then - welcome to "the bored"!

Stay around - you'll find plenty of interest on the forum - and not just on the jazz board. I'll send you a PM with Pete Hurt's email address.

Best wishes!

Serial_Apologist

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

SA, many thanks for posting all this...a name I know far more than I've ever heard his work. Britain seems to produce very individual pianists like this...Pete Jacobson was another.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                    X