X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Well, well, well!!

Just looking at the Jazzwise Magazine site for something else and came across this:

Jazz breaking news: Geoffrey Smith to leave Jazz Record Requests

Jazzwise, the UK's biggest selling jazz monthly and the leading English language jazz magazine in Europe, has changed the way jazz magazines look and think with a stunning editorial and design package that reaches out to both the new jazz audience and established fans – qualities that have led to it winning Jazz Publication of the Year at both the Parliamentary Jazz Awards and the Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Awards, and Best Jazz Media at the Jazz FM Awards.

"could well incur the wrath of the station’s fearsome lobbying group the Friends of Radio 3"

OG
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 20-03-12, 22:39.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

So - it really will be "Goodbhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyee eeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Well a very warm welcome back to Saturday afternoon to Alyn but am I the only person who didn't realise that Jazz Library is to be axed? What is taking its place? Is that "Geoffrey's Records" and if so when is it going to be broadcast? In the Jazz Library slot?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        Well a very warm welcome back to Saturday afternoon to Alyn
        Or Saturday evening, or not at all during Composerthons,

but I digress...

Yes, welcome!!

OG

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

it is another load of shuffling with no sense of furthering the music and its cause .... typical bbc deckchairs .... i would like it if Squealer quit like yesterday ...
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Gushing editorial in the Grauniad today in praise of Sir Markot..."but bit of the shame about the salary"

Will JRR be "Summut Elsie" production in future?

Will Jez go off shore or remain "local" now that the 5O% tax rate has gone? Has he got a mansion?

Is a bluebird blue? (Conway Twitty)

Do it swing? Do anything?

BN. The BBC really is the fkn pits isn't it.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

The BBC really is the fkn pits isn't it.
              Yep it is Grade A sh1te
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Lord! Grade A

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Don't understand how you can all be critical about something which no one seems to know anything about yet.

In a way, I'm saddened to see Geoffrey Smith leave JRR as he has always struck me as being a thoroughly decent bloke. I've had a couple of requests played over the years and lets not forget that he had enough of a sense of humour to be in on the old Ron Coltrane running joke on the old website. Good to see that he is still being retained by Radio 3 and I think everyone here doesn't expect Alyn to transform the programme into a jazz - light production. I think the only negative thing is the reaction in "Jazzwise" about the show being considered as old-fashioned. This is something in it's favour as there should be a radio programme that features all types of recorded jazz from 1917 onwards. The programme's strnegth is the range of styles of music and the fact that it reflects the tastes of the people requesting the tunes. A perfect programme should include music from the 20's, big bands, singers, hard bop and more contemporary stuff. I want a programme where you can hear King Oliver one moment, Andy Kirk the next, maybe Anne Peacock and a whole range of other styles. The only time is is not so interesting is when you have heard all the tracks beforehand. Personally, I'm all for hearing as wide a range of jazz as possible even if the odd jug band track has the likes of Trevor Cooper hiding behind his settee.

My only question is where does this leave jazz documentaries? With Jazz File, Jazz Legends and now Jazz Library all consigned to histroy, there needs to be room for a programme with a remit to serious analyse the music. Is this GS's new remit?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                    Don't understand how you can all be critical about something which no one seems to know anything about yet.
                    This is because, Ian, unlike the God Squad we base our expectations on long tried, tested and peer-group proven evidence.

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                    My only question is where does this leave jazz documentaries? With Jazz File, Jazz Legends and now Jazz Library all consigned to histroy, there needs to be room for a programme with a remit to serious analyse the music.
                    With no pre-announcements, it is precisely about this disappearance and *apparent* non-replacement that we are critical.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

To me the change of presenter at JRR isn't the big story, it's the loss of Jazz Library. I'm sure Geoffrey Smith will be able to come up with something interesting, but we're losing the best jazz programme on the BBC to have it replaced by what exactly?

"Geoffrey Smith is an important part of the BBC Radio 3 jazz presenting team," a Radio 3 spokesperson says. "His new show Geoffrey’s Jazz will launch later this year and will be a personal view of jazz, its history, its players and key themes.” - from the Jazzwise article
                      So it might be good, although I don't like the name much. It reflects too much the idea that the presenter is more important than the content; a misconception which has afflicted radio and TV a lot over the past decade.

The other key questions are, of course, when's it going to be on? And will we be able to tweet in to tell GS what we like eating while listening to jazz*, and enjoy all the other interactive features which have so much improved Radio Three's morning broadcasting in recent months? Recent changes to Radio Three don't fill me with optimism.

*A pigfoot and a bottle of beer, obviously.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

I was interviewed (from the BBC equal opps long list = dinner party friends of Caroline Thompson) to take over the programme but when I said I would only play classic Bluenote requests and NOTHING (fk/all) from Ian cassette list, they started coughing and drawing Trotsky on their scratch pads.

Where's the justice?BN.

Good luck to Alyn. I will be (in a few months time) requesting that absolutely stunning version of "Porgy" by Barney Wilen that you played his Jazz Library. "the click of the keys" etc.

Otherwise I'll burn the building down and come looking.

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

YET AGAIN - NO JRR this SAT?

Oh how the BBC values it.

BN.

Lady Ga Ga - Opera live from Hitler's Bunker.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

BASICALLY IT'S BOLLOXs INNIT< LETS NOT BEAT AROUND THE'> <stupid arsehole emoticon>
                            bong ching

Comment

Working...
                            X