• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    and knitted black ties!
    Some critics have managed to hang onto theirs... 'specially useful at funerals...

A couple of weeks ago Mike Westbrook expressed a view to me strongly regretting the demise of critics of Charles Fox's calibre, people articulate, well-versed and confident in writing up pieces that reflected their *own* views about what they were reviewing, rather than merely reproducing their interviewees verbatim. As one who probably stands accused of privileging the interviewee pov at the expense of the critic (who after all in most cases couldn't actually do what he or she expects of the musicians and wouldn't be there were it not for the music his criticism depends on), I must admit I felt uncomfortable and didn't know quite what to say in reply.

Jazz musos in general (with one or two notable exceptions, in my admittedly somewhat limited experience of interviewing as compared with the likes of J Fordham) are best at spinning their own stories. Given the spontaneous manner in which jazz evolves, above all, in performance, fitting the musos' musical journeys *into* their story is possibly more of a necessary part and parcel of an interviewer's equipment in jazz than of the inevitably more academically-orientated classical critic.

I have generally found jazz musicians generally to be much more approachable than their classical "equivalents". Someone on another thread dismissed the question of interviewing working musicians on live programmes, suggesting that all they would have to say of interest would be, "well, my job consists in reading the notes on the score and doing my best to accurately reproduce them". Evaluative principles have been shaped differently in classical music by performance practice, copyright desiderata etc, the relative separation of composer from realisation, and an historical overview placement lending distance and, for some, professional substance to the critic's role in the transmission. But even in the case of the jazz composer, the vast proportion of whose creative time will be away from the bandstand, the moment of actual realisation is informed by the imminent character of jazz performance, taking account of how it is shaped by the context beyond, as well as immediate.

Consciousness of these factors and their bearing have always informed the character of Westbrooks' output. While appreciative of the relative autonomy a great musician such as Mike Westbrook is prepared to accord those who write up the music, long gone are the days when jazz musos were to be treated as inarticulate spokespersons for the music, and so I still think it is the jazz critic's main job to be a mouthpiece rather than a mouth.

As of now I see the critic's role in jazz to fill in the spaces; to encourage musicians to talk, to point out any changes in direction in the music and, where possible, draw attention to statements made at different stages in the musician's career which can throw light on where the music has gone and is going. But I greatly appreciate the views offered on this forum that I may find initial disagreement with and am always prepared to be persuaded to the contrary.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 20-03-12, 13:52. Reason: spelling b's

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Funerals...I recently found that my dark blue knitted tie (niftty redux Austin Reed need you ask) had been eaten by fekin MOTHS!

Oh, do not let me go tieless into that good goodnight!

And another thing... critics today wear T.Shirts! Only Zoot Sims looked good in a T.Shirt...glaring at Getz.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

tieless is cool El Senor as long as you still have a white shirt ....

tastes change eh; last summer i wore a black tee shirt with a grey chalk strip jacket and blue black jeans ... and me daughter said how smart i looked!

but context is all and the quality of the criticism of jazz is on a par with the quality of the airhead media it appears in seems to me ... there is not much serious any more eh ....
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Calum - I remember earning c.£20/wk as a trainee architect in 1965? Thought I’d cracked it, NEVER been so well off…wk/end trips to Ronnies, Austin Reed button downs, tonic mohair/raised seams , levver coats cheap down the market…well it beats “work experience”/slavery for kids today chez Tesco.

JRook - Agree with you. Cooke, Max Harrison, Charles Fox etc. etc. Jazz Monthly with those long essays on Art Pepper, Kokomo Arnold, Anarchism …and Elmo! I had a book years ago of the “best fifty modern jazz records” (or similar) by them. Invaluable and long lost.

I was re-reading “Flaubert’s Parrot” last night (Well, it was Monday in Wales) and Julian Barnes’ narrator states his hatred of critics as “not so much failed artists but more failed critics” and “the elevation of the average so that the critic can then demonstrate his/her further refinement” . I misquote but that’s the gist.

Didn’t Rimbaud say that the critic “rides in the dung cart of progress pointing out which way the horse has gone”? Or was that Johnny Morris?

BN.
          Bluesnik ~ I think the book you mentioned was 'Modern Jazz 1945-70 The Essential Records' by Max Harrison/Alun Morgan/Ronald Atkins/Michael James/Jack Cooke which reviewed 200 LPs for a basic library.
          Published by Aquarius Books 1975 ISBN:- 090461901X
          I still have a copy and consult it to this day!
          Modern jazz: the essential records: a critical selection by HARRISON, Max and others and a great selection of related books, art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.co.uk.
          Last edited by Jazzrook; 22-03-12, 10:49.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

JROOK...THAT'S THE ONE! (silver cover)

A BIBLE.

TA,

BN.

Comment

Working...
            X