• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

an african american weekend 17 to 19 march

This week – an improv legend for whom 'silence is perfect'. But don't worry, he's made a living out of interrupting that silence in strikingly original ways.

That's saxophonist Roscoe Mitchell, one of the founding members of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians and the Art Ensemble Of Chicago. Before we hear his remarkable performance, British pianist and Mitchell devotee Alex Hawkins plays me some tracks from Mitchell's back catalogue – some real gems that I didn't know and reveal a musician with a really refreshing take on free improvisation. And Alex then sits down with Roscoe to talk about his approach to music in more depth.

As well as loving silence, Mitchell can also demonstrate Zen-like patience in slowly teasing out small ideas, and this marks the opening of his live performance with British musicians John Edwards and Tony Marsh. Solo moments from them beautifully match the overall pace of the set, teasing and probing ideas, and there are some great, lurching silences in the middle that all three musicians seem to feel instinctively. The music builds as Mitchell flurries breathlessly and relentlessly, before a haunting conclusion, and a flash of humour in the encore.

Join me on Monday 19 March from 11pm, or listen online for seven days after broadcast.
    Jez

newsletter
    that is Jon3

Library is Alan Skidmore a rather fine british exponent of the tenor sax ... ubizu etc

Julian Joseph presents concert music from Mulatu Astatke recorded at the Glasgow Jazz Festival plus an interview with pianist Zoe Rahman profiling her new recording 'Kindred Spirits'.
    JLU looks pretty cool too
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • handsomefortune

thanking you calum da jazbo.

all looks pretty good!

especially any founding members of associations aiming to advance creative musicians could do with a big rash of them here, & soonish?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

There are some terrific tracks on tonight's Skidmore JL I can tell you: especially nos 2, 3 and 4.

Comment

Working...
      X