10 - 12 March 2012 aw shucks wha can a jazbo do ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Handsomefortune

I agree about Motian's later work being of much more interest than the earlier stuff. The perceived notion of the 1980's being a period of conservatism is not entirely correct and I think his trio was instrumental in bringing something very different to jazz. Paul Motian's drumming was something that fascinated me from the very beginning as it seemed so radical from the Hard Bop approach favoured by the likes of Jeff "Tain" Watts who I also enjoyed at the time. For me, Motian was probably the most interesting drummer working in that decade along with Jack DeJohnette and I can remember being extremely excited at the time that there were musicians who seemed to be able produce an incredible amount of energy whilst the underlying solo / harmony instruments might be playing at a slower tempo. On the Standards Vol 2 there ae versions of "I got rhythm" and "Nice work if you csn get it" where he demonstrates that he could alway drum in a very straight ahead, almost swing-style feel. The PM trio demonstrates just how furtile jazz became in the 30-odd years since the early 80's.

The trio is, in my estimation, an absolutely classic jazz group. Lovano is a musician who can play in a romantic style and then rip into some pretty outside solos whereas I felt that Frisell's guitar was used to anchor the bass notes to give the trio a degree of depth and also blend with the tenor to produce a wonderfully warm sound. They are three odd-shaped components of a very satisfying whole . On the Monk album, there are moments where the music has an almost off-kilter corniness and they had the effect of making melodies seem even more hummable. The standard albums offer a nice counter-point to Jarrett's frequently excellent work in this idiom too.

Surprised no one has put as shout in for "Notes" which was the duo album Paul Moptian made with Paul Bley. Always wished I had snapped that one up and regret never acquiring this disc. Paul Bley is another figure deserving a library and probably the most under-rated pianist in the history of jazz.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

well let me put in ashout for Kit Downes's gig on JLU ... intelligent and sensitive music making in both formats tho i think for now i prefer the cello ensemble more drive less ethereal ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        well let me put in ashout for Kit Downes's gig on JLU ... intelligent and sensitive music making in both formats tho i think for now i prefer the cello ensemble more drive less ethereal ...
        Rather tentative I felt, I have to say. I get the impression that Kit is presently in the process of assimilating a lot of ideas from the different musical directions he's been involved with over the last 2 years or so, seeking to make some kind of a synthesis that will represent what he is about.

Steve Williamson was most forthcoming about having had to face up to the consequences of Verve's abandoning him at the start of what he had presumed would be a supportive career role - reminding me of the treatment RCA meted out on Keith Tippett after his Centipede recording in 1972 - and the effects this has had on forcing Steve to look to his own considerable resources which, to judge by the duet with Pat Thomas broadcast on Jon3, are serving him well. A fascinating programme; I'd strongly recommend boredees who may have missed this to check the iplayer.

Comment

Working...
        X