X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Billy Bean Trio

Browsing through Tom Moon's '1000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die'(I'll never make it!) I came across the 'Billy Bean Trio:Rediscovered'(STRING JAZZ) recorded in 1961. I must confess I'd never heard of the guitarist Billy Bean who's been praised by the likes of Pat Metheny & John Scofield. Sadly the album is currently almost impossible to find.
    Discover The Trio: Rediscovered by Billy Bean released in 2000. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 09-03-12, 11:30.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

info at wicki
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

When I saw the thread heading I assumed some sort of wind-up...

Memories, memories...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

Very nice!
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• RayBurns

Billy Bean & his Funny Machine? Bloomin' Hell SA I thought I was the oldest functioning person on the planet!!
            I bow to you Master, respect etc.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by RayBurns View Post
              Billy Bean & his Funny Machine? Bloomin' Hell SA I thought I was the oldest functioning person on the planet!!
              I bow to you Master, respect etc.
              Famous last words

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

er 'scuse me for kinda changing the subject but everyone forgets Buddy Defranco as well and this stuff is much better than the Billie Bean etc

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• handsomefortune

more 'changing the subject'

I came across the 'Billy Bean Trio:Rediscovered'(STRING JAZZ) recorded in 1961.

glad you shared awareness of this trio jazzrook, it sounds great, especially for those who like their jazz stringy (as well as windy). though i wouldn't want to compare de franco and bean ....since they're different, just represent two stylistic aspects of an era.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  When I saw the thread heading I assumed some sort of wind-up...

Memories, memories...
                  fantastic link this serial apologist! i thoroughly enjoyed reading about the brit tv childrens' cartoon of the same era as the musicians discussed. it's the sort of thing that adam curtis would get excited about, having perhaps found old, lost film rushes, he'd have a field day discussing, incorporating the post war kids' tv themes into a wider context!

we could all do with 'a spotty man from outer space'....to rescue us in the current cultural/media crisis:

the obit linked to in your clip, records that the voiceover chap in 'billy bean's funny tv machine' went to a dulwich school!

the clip's interesting imv in that it enlightens us as to the direction of 1960s childrens' tv.

from the obit:
                  Ivan Owen, who has died aged 73, was the actor who voiced the contradiction in the British character between love of stuffiness and love of anarchy.

i think that contradiction lasted a good few decades, and only recently has been eclipsed by glitzy, shouty, reality fodder that childrens' imaginations have to 'make do' with now, as well as cheaply made cartoons like the 'telly tubbys'....though perhaps 'pepper pig' is a direct equivalent to billy bean audiences, age-wise. but typically, the 'anarchy' is restricted to 'cleaning dad's car'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgButvrG_Pg&ob=av3e

de franco-style playing seems to have been employed to great effect for a lot for childrens' tv entertainment, which obscures the reality that cartoon music etc used to be physically played by someone, at some point...... clarinet appeared here, there, and everywhere ..... it perhaps became 'nowhere' through over use, and became stylisticly outdatedness. but i suspect we'll have a much longer wait until digitally-made cartoon music disappears though.....(or, about as long as it takes for copywrite to outdate maybe? and much depends if kids still might appreciate real music, having been raised on 'digi bip bop candy')?

in this context outlined, 'the billy bean trio' sound has suffered less 'collateral damage', still sound fresh as a daisy to me.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

yep archeology ...chip the crap off and listen with fresh ears ... not the didgi candy craperooni stuff .... DeFranco is a mean horn

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

or

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

and especially

try searching for Barry Galbraith & Oscar Pettiford and see the cornucopia that pops out of youtube ....

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                          er 'scuse me for kinda changing the subject but everyone forgets Buddy Defranco as well and this stuff is much better than the Billie Bean etc

Why not start a new thread on Buddy DeFranco rather than attempt to "change the subject" of someone else's, Calum?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

it reflects my view on Billy Bean and many other rather forgotten artists like DeFranco and Galbraith [arguably both better than Bean but that is not my point which is that we forget about perfectly good artists like Bean] ... apologies i had no wish to offend merely to expand the thread away from other cultural memories into jazz

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                              it reflects my view on Billy Bean and many other rather forgotten artists like DeFranco and Galbraith [arguably both better than Bean but that is not my point which is that we forget about perfectly good artists like Bean] ... apologies i had no wish to offend merely to expand the thread away from other cultural memories into jazz
                              Apologies accepted, Calum. Incidentally, Buddy DeFranco recorded an excellent album, 'Blues Bag', playing bass-clarinet. Now I'm changing the subject!
                              Discover Blues Bag by Buddy DeFranco released in 1964. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.

Comment

Working...
                              X