• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jazz Programme Threads

i now put up the weekly jazz programmes on a weekend basis rather than a new thread for each programme

... this is because the programme output has been cut and there is a consequent drop in posting about them by boredees

one or two boredees drop by and start a new thread willy nilly which in the anarchic spirit of jazz i dont mind as host but i do mind the weekend thread for all three broadcast progs being ignored because i do wonder why i bother putting it up ..... in fact some interesting discussions and posts have survived the switch to weekend threading

any views please
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Your programme alerts are always noticed and much appreciated in this manor, calum

Comment

• handsomefortune

programme alerts are always noticed and much appreciated

seconded! especially as many listen to other sorts of music too ...your reminders are therefore priceless.

i rarely visit the beeb jazz site, if i can help it. it's a mess, proven by my encouraging others to look for whatever jazz episode ....only to find that whoever can't even find 'jazz library' or whatever. this included a bunch of 6th formers i met at an eighteenth party ..... (so it's definitely not because average listeners lack technological savvy, or other lame excuses). on the site things are rarely in the same place twice, the pics too higgledy piggledy etc ....according to someone elses' priorities. it's much nicer to rely on 'human prompts' on here, or listen out for presenters run down of the following programme....and try and remember all week. (that's where cdj prompts on here are crucial)

but i think many other threads sometimes suffer the same inexplainable void.

tbh it gives the impression that no one else has listened to jazz output .... whereas they have, but are apparently reluctant to discuss....i can't quite figure out why this is either! perhaps many music lovers prefer to listen, than write, or discuss? (but then look at the lonelier arts threads for progs, for instance.... a similar void occurs).

in fact some interesting discussions and posts have survived the switch to weekend threading

apologies, i'm not entirely sure what you mean by this bit calum da jazbo. but if you mean, continuing more random conversations on the particular topical thread that you've emphasised - will do! ultimately, most things relate to each other afterall. with a bit of 'nip and tuck' the whole forum might be just one long thread ..... about 'music'. but since jazzers have the luxury of space, and some focus, it does seem dim not to use it effectively.

now then, back to the topic of 'classic fm unauthorised gaff' (only joking).

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

one or two boredees drop by and start a new thread willy nilly which in the anarchic spirit of jazz

"YOU MAKE ME WILLY, MISS NILLY" ~ Larry Williams (Lee Allen tenor sax).

"ANARCHY, ANARCHY, THEY'VE ALL GOT IT ANARCHY (BABY)" - Prince Kropotkin and his Brighton All Stars.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

infamy infamy etc

antiphony antiphony
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Calum,
            your alerts are very welcome, guess the alternative is to subscribe to Radio Times.

I don't always post when I have listened to a programme. I might have enjoyed it, but I didn't have much to say. Alternatively other posters may have commented, and there's not much left to say.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              [B]Prince Kropotkin and his Brighton All Stars.

BN.
              Isn't the correct title All Stars Brighton Beautiful?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                I hear both sides of the argument

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Strange. On March 18th Jazz Library is flagged up as being on Radio 2 and Radio 3, same time, 12am. Have I missed any discussion of this? Is it new?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                    • Nov 2010

Shome Mishtake Shurely. It is on Radio 3 at the usual time and it will feature Alan Skidmore in a new interview celebrating his imminent 70th birthday. Not on Radio 2 so far as I know!

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                      • Nov 2010

PS, I think it ought to read:

antiphony ynohpitna

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

peyyep

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Strange. On March 18th Jazz Library is flagged up as being on Radio 2 and Radio 3, same time, 12am. Have I missed any discussion of this? Is it new?
                          What's 12am supposed to mean? Doesn't exist.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

What's 12am supposed to mean? Doesn't exist.
                            Sunday 18 March

12.00-1.00am

BBC RADIO 2 and BBC RADIO 3
                            eponnope

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                              Shome Mishtake Shurely. It is on Radio 3 at the usual time and it will feature Alan Skidmore in a new interview celebrating his imminent 70th birthday. Not on Radio 2 so far as I know!
                              Thanks, Alyn. I also looked up the Radio 2 programme info and it was there too!

Cloughie, 12am was supposed to mean 12 midnight ... But to me, 12 midnight refers to the day before, whereas 12am, um, well, anyway ...
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X