• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

No Jazz on R3 weekend 24 -25 March

Due to the Schubertfest...

However there is hope - I for one will be attending the Gateshead International Jazz Festival

• Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Due to the Schubertfest...

[/URL]

So what's new, then? Every ruddy day is a Schubertfest...any excuse to play Winterreise yet AGAIN....

Either that or Die schönebleedinMüllerin
    Last edited by Tenor Freak; 12-02-12, 21:20. Reason: Liam Gallagher crashes the Reasonably Priced Car on Gambon after someone offers him "Top Gear"
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
      So what's new, then? Every ruddy day is a Schubertfest...any excuse to play Winterreise yet AGAIN....

Either that or Die schönebleedinMüllerin
      That must be the board record for "angries"!

I have already moved on from Winterreise and am eagerly awaiting Tallis and Byrd.

OG
      Last edited by Old Grumpy; 12-02-12, 22:27. Reason: Suitable emoticons added

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

How long will we have to wait before we get 200 hours of continuous jazz played on Radio 3?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

how long you got?
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            how long you got?
            Not long, Calum!

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

Old Grumpy, look forward to seeing you at Gateshead, where our Buck Clayton Legacy Band will be accompanying Gwyneth Herbert in a selection of Peggy Lee's more jazz orientated repertoire... I think you may find that the Schubertfest will continue into the final weekend of March, as there is no Jazz Library on 31st.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                Old Grumpy, look forward to seeing you at Gateshead, where our Buck Clayton Legacy Band will be accompanying Gwyneth Herbert in a selection of Peggy Lee's more jazz orientated repertoire... I think you may find that the Schubertfest will continue into the final weekend of March, as there is no Jazz Library on 31st.

Thanks Alyn

Unfortunately/fortunately I shall be enjoying the delights offered by Messrs Sheppard, Pine et al at the time. All the best for the gig - I enjoyed last year's at the GIJF.

I hadn't clocked that the following weekend will also be a Jazz wipe-out on R3 and double !

OG

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

never mind Old Grumpy we can make do and mend with NPR and Youtube

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Gateshead looks like a good festival: Marcus Roberts, an Andy Sheppard/Courtney Pine double bill, a Robert Mitchell/Zoe Rahman/Ambrose Akinmusire triple bill, Marius Neset, Tord Gustavsen, Peter King. Ticket prices don't look too bad either. And if you're going to a gig on the Friday, it would be worth turning up early to hear the free early evening performance by local lass Zoe Gilby, who I reckon is one of the better young UK jazz singers.

The problem with the Tyneside jazz scene seems to be what happens (or doesn't happen) when the festival isn't on: http://lance-bebopspokenhere.blogspo...s-jazz-in.html

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Just returned from the GIJF. A splendid series of concerts. Roberto Fonseca on Friday, followed by Trio Libero/Courtney Pine on Saturday (sorry couldn't attend your gig Alyn!)

The highlight for me was the triple bill this afternoon: Robert Mitchell 3io, Zoe Rahman Quartet, Ambrose Akinmusire Band - and all for £13.50, especially when all washed down with a few pints of Byker Jazz from the Hadrian Border Brewery.

What more could a jazbo want?

OG

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

OG
                        To return to Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert Schubert ?

I guess not

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Mr GG

I nearly put that in, but thought better of it.

I guess I'll just be listening to all those CDs I acquired!

OG

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

Just returned from the GIJF. A splendid series of concerts. Roberto Fonseca on Friday, followed by Trio Libero/Courtney Pine on Saturday (sorry couldn't attend your gig Alyn!)

The highlight for me was the triple bill this afternoon: Robert Mitchell 3io, Zoe Rahman Quartet, Ambrose Akinmusire Band - and all for £13.50, especially when all washed down with a few pints of Byker Jazz from the Hadrian Border Brewery.

OG

Sounds like a perfect day to me...
                            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                              COMING SOON ON R3 ? - MUSIC FROM THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR...Over 100 weeks (sorry, Jazz is "off")

"The Hundred Years' War was a series of separate conflicts waged from 1337 to 1453 between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of France and their various allies for control of the French throne...and the BBC marketing budget"

R3, what's not to like.. like.

BN. R3, I've had enuff. Fek 'em. No more for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X