• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

i thought i saw a trailer ....

i did i saw a trailer .... for a jazz weekend on bbc4 17/2 featuring Saint Sonny ... watch that space there may be another one .... trailer that is ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the official website of Sonny Rollins, an American tenor saxophonist who is considered one of the most influential musicians in jazz.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      i did i saw a trailer ....
      Could lead to convoy...

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Documentary about His Sonniness at 9pm on Friday 17th: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...he-notes-.html

followed by a 1974 performance from Ronnie Scott's at 10pm: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...s-rescued.html

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Byas'd Opinion View Post
          Documentary about His Sonniness at 9pm on Friday 17th: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...he-notes-.html

followed by a 1974 performance from Ronnie Scott's at 10pm: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...s-rescued.html

1974, the era when Sonny attempted to reshape his approach to current fashion, was not some say his best... but it will still be interesting.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            i did i saw a trailer ... watch that space there may be another one .... trailer that is ....
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

One takes it that the inhabitants of the top one don't get to benefit from their picture window view

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                • Nov 2010

More news about the jazz weekend. I just received this from Jon Hiseman
                Playing Against Time - 19th Febuary

The 75 min Documentary 'Playing Against Time' will be transmitted on BBC4 TV at 9pm on the 19th February, followed immediately at 10.15pm by Barbara Thompson in Concert - a 15 minute program featuring two of Barbara's compositions - 'Stairways' from the Bracknell Jazz Festival in 1979 and 'Breathless' from the Stuttgart concert filmed in 2005, and taken from the DVD release 'Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia Live '05'.

Comment

• grippie

Thanks for giving us the heads up on that Alyn.

Just before this weeks BBC4's Friday nine o'clock kick-off of jazz, there's a new series of Friday night Transatlantic Sessions starting, described as folk and roots musicians the last umpteen sessions they've broadcast have been tremendous!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

yep itsa weekend thing here etc

17th feb

19:30–20:30
                    The Birth of British Music
                    Purcell - The Londoner
                    The life and music of Henry Purcell, from his tavern songs to sacred music and stage works (R)
                    20:30–21:00
                    Transatlantic Sessions
                    Series 5, Episode 1
                    1/6. With Phil Cunningham, Donal Lunny, Danny Thompson, Alison Krauss and many more.
                    21:00–22:00
                    Arena
                    Sonny Rollins: Beyond the Notes
                    Documentary about the saxophonist Sonny Rollins, built around his 80th birthday concert.
                    22:00–23:00
                    Arena
                    Sonny Rollins '74: Rescued!
                    Newly-discovered film footage of tenor sax legend Sonny Rollins at Ronnie Scott's in 1974.
                    23:00–00:00
                    Omnibus
                    Ronnie Scott and All That Jazz
                    Documentary on the London venue opened in 1959 and now the heartbeat of British jazz. (R)

00:00–01:00
                    1959: The Year that Changed Jazz
                    A look at 1959 albums by Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Charles Mingus and Ornette Coleman. (R)
                    01:00–01:30
                    Transatlantic Sessions
                    Series 5, Episode 1
                    1/6. With Phil Cunningham, Donal Lunny, Danny Thompson, Alison Krauss and many more. (R)
                    01:30–02:30
                    Arena
                    Sonny Rollins: Beyond the Notes
                    Documentary about the saxophonist Sonny Rollins, built around his 80th birthday concert. (R)
                    02:30–03:30
                    Arena
                    Sonny Rollins '74: Rescued!
                    Newly-discovered film footage of tenor sax legend Sonny Rollins at Ronnie Scott's in 1974. (R)

18th feb

20:00–21:00
                    Sinatra Sings
                    Ol' Blue Eyes in concert in his 1960s, 70s and 80s prime from a variety of US TV specials.
                    21:00–22:45
                    Inspector Montalbano
                    Series 1, The Voice of the Violin
                    2/10. A murder case is taken off Montalbano and given to an incompetent rival inspector.
                    22:45–00:10
                    Storyville
                    The Jazz Baroness
                    Documentary about the British baroness who fell in love with jazz genius Thelonious Monk. (R)

19th feb

19:00–20:00
                    Sir John Dankworth at the BBC
                    A tribute to the late jazz musician, big band leader and composer, John Dankworth. (R)
                    20:00–21:00
                    Jazz Piano Gold
                    With Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson, Stan Tracey, Duke Ellington and others.
                    21:00–22:15
                    Barbara Thompson: Playing Against Time
                    Jazz saxophonist/composer Barbara Thompson's creative struggle with Parkinson's disease.
                    22:15–22:30
                    Barbara Thompson in Concert
                    Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia at the Bracknell Jazz Festival, plus a 2005 performance.
                    22:30–00:05
                    Lourdes
                    A wheelchair-bound woman makes a pilgrimage to Lourdes to relieve her sense of isolation.

00:05–01:05
                    Jazz Piano Gold
                    With Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson, Stan Tracey, Duke Ellington and others. (R)
                    01:05–02:20
                    Barbara Thompson: Playing Against Time
                    Jazz saxophonist/composer Barbara Thompson's creative struggle with Parkinson's disease. (R)
                    02:20–02:35
                    Barbara Thompson in Concert
                    Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia at the Bracknell Jazz Festival, plus a 2005 performance. (R)
                    02:35–03:05
                    Transatlantic Sessions
                    Series 5, Episode 1
                    1/6. With Phil Cunningham, Donal Lunny, Danny Thompson, Alison Krauss and many more. (R)
                    03:05–04:25
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Sonny Rollins etc...BBC4 Jazz weekend...

"The BBC Four television channel is planning a jazz weekend later this month with a special raft of programming that includes documentaries about Sonny Rollins and Barbara Thompson among its highlights.The opening evening is to include a significant new documentary film about Sonny Rollins, the focus of the long running Arena documentary strand, to be broadcast on Friday 17 February at 9pm. The film, Beyond The Notes, directed by Dick Fontaine, features footage from Rollins’ Beacon Theatre 80th birthday concert filmed in New York when Rollins was joined for the first time on stage by free jazz avatar Ornette Coleman on one of Rollins’ signature tunes, ‘Sonnymoon For Two’.

Older footage finds Rollins, known to his fans as ‘Newk’ after baseball player Don Newcombe who played for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1940s and 50s, performing with both Charlie Parker and Miles Davis in the early part of his career, and also focuses on the most famous sabbatical in jazz when a reclusive Rollins was caught woodshedding out of the general music public’s eye but not out of sight, on New York’s Williamsburg Bridge in 1968.

Beyond the Notes follows many years on from Fontaine’s 1960s documentary Who is Sonny Rollins? Now head of the documentary department at the National Film and Television School in Buckinghamshire, Fontaine was a pioneer of cinéma vérité in the UK and in the earlier part of his career wrote and directed for the agenda setting World in Action current affairs series. He also went on to produce documentaries about the Black Panthers and the civil rights movement, and in the 1980s directed the documentary Beat This: A Hip-Hop History. The BBC Four jazz weekend opening night also includes a concert film featuring a rarely seen live performance from the 1970s, titled Arena: Sonny Rollins ’74 – Rescued!

The weekend, the details of which have not been fully confirmed by the BBC, also includes on Sunday 19 February the documentary Barbara Thompson: Playing Against Time. To be aired at 9pm the hour-length documentary is directed by Mike Dibb, well known for his Emmy winning film The Miles Davis Story. Dibb’s film explores saxophonist Thompson’s battle with Parkinson’s disease, and features Thompson and her husband, the Colosseum drummer Jon Hiseman. The film spans five years of Thompson’s living with Parkinson’s and her search for suitable treatment."

BN.

I sincerely hope that the BBC will someday broadcast "RON, TAKE IT TO THE BRIDGE!", their 1967 b/w doc on Ron Coltrane's "lost years", living semi-homeless on (Bristol's) Clifton suspension bridge. A friend who lives near there tells me that on some moonlit nights you can still hear the ghostly sound of Ron playing "Out of Nowhere" as the wild ducks quack (wildly) to the higher harmonics...and low grunts.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

OPPS.. thanks for moving that Newk note Calum!

NP "Moving Out" - Sonny Rollins, Elmo Hope, Kemmy Dorham, Heath, Blakey.

BN

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

Kemmy?

BN

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

I see Alyn's Jazz Library is focused on RED MITCHELL this weekend.

One to def. stay awake for.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

well got through the biorthday programme with tears streaming at the sight of St Sonny and Ornette and Roy Haynes and Bob Cranshaw ............. jeez there goes my life ...

and then the 74 gig at Scotts so unexpected so .... rarely been so taken back in time and in the here and now by his playing i confess i am swept away ..

Comment

Working...
                              X