X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Sep 2024

Celestial Jazz

Those who moved here from the BBC's version of this Forum may recall that I introduced my site (link below) in that place. The site contains
    my attempts at removing crackle and hiss from Jazz 78s. There are 8 CDs worth of music already up and I have today added a ninth, titled "Jazz7" .
    This latest group of tracks (sides?!) begins and ends with Fats Waller in raucous mood but the second track has him playing Celeste. You will find the Celeste topping and tailing Louis Armstrong's "Basin Street Blues" which also includes a wordless vocal chorus accompanying Louis, also wordless, practising one or two licks you will hear later in his trumpet solo. Even more bizarrely on the unlikely vehicle of "Just a Gigolo" you will hear a tightly muted Louis with a burping Tuba, a guitar playing arpeggios, and, yes, a Celeste. For contrast there is Jack Teagarden's vocal on Benny Goodman's "Basin Street Blues", Gene Krupa's drum solo on "Who" from the Goodman Trio, and as well as piano solos from Fats and Earl Hines, a truly amazing experience........."Running Ragged" from Joe Venuti, Eddie Lang and two others.
    Enjoy.
  • geofflikesmusic

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
    Those who moved here from the BBC's version of this Forum may recall that I introduced my site (link below) in that place. The site contains
    my attempts at removing crackle and hiss from Jazz 78s. There are 8 CDs worth of music already up and I have today added a ninth, titled "Jazz7" .
    This latest group of tracks (sides?!) begins and ends with Fats Waller in raucous mood but the second track has him playing Celeste. You will find the Celeste topping and tailing Louis Armstrong's "Basin Street Blues" which also includes a wordless vocal chorus accompanying Louis, also wordless, practising one or two licks you will hear later in his trumpet solo. Even more bizarrely on the unlikely vehicle of "Just a Gigolo" you will hear a tightly muted Louis with a burping Tuba, a guitar playing arpeggios, and, yes, a Celeste. For contrast there is Jack Teagarden's vocal on Benny Goodman's "Basin Street Blues", Gene Krupa's drum solo on "Who" from the Goodman Trio, and as well as piano solos from Fats and Earl Hines, a truly amazing experience........."Running Ragged" from Joe Venuti, Eddie Lang and two others.
    Enjoy.
    www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk/transcriptions_01.php
    Interesting site!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

thank you for reminding us Clive ... i for one am a great fan of your site ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
      X