• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

pour le weekend ... 29 & 30/1/12

John Etheridge is one of Britain's most versatile jazz musicians. He joins Alyn Shipton to pick his recordings, including Soft Machine and his acclaimed duo with John Williams.
    Alyn does guitar heads a favour

Julian Joseph profiles saxophonist David Murray's album 'Ming' in the company of Kevin Le Gendre in this month's 'Now Is The Time' feature.Plus an interview with writer and broadcaster Alyn Shipton examining the Smithsonian Folkways Jazz box-set, released on the non profit record label of the United States national museum.
    JLU

euro Jon3

2011 Tampere Festival in Finland. Now in its 30th year, the event brings together international artists as well as showcasing an increasingly exciting Finnish jazz scene. Among the musicians this year are New York-based Finnish guitarist Raoul Bjorkenheim; Space Machine, a jazz-funk ensemble led by drummer Hanni Pulle; and Polish trumpeter and ECM stalwart Tomasz Stanko.
    bit of a parson's egg if yer know what i mean innit ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    bit of a parson's egg if yer know what i mean innit ...
    V much looking forward to the Etheridge JL - interesting selection of cuts.

Agree the Jon3 is a bit of a Stinko........

...er, I'll get me jacko.......

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

last weekend was pretty good all round i'd say ... still listen first and comment later eh!
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        V much looking forward to the Etheridge JL - interesting selection of cuts.

Agree the Jon3 is a bit of a Stinko........

...er, I'll get me jacko.......
        Stanko no stinko - can't speak for the others though.

(Don't mention Jacko - can of worms!)

OG

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

“Marcus, why did you put Mikko in a forest?”

Not my usual kind of opening question but it had to be asked. This week on Jazz on 3, music journalist Marcus O’Dair explains all as we explore highlights from the thirtieth edition of Tampere Jazz Happening, one of Finland’s most important jazz festivals to which he travelled last November.

The Mikko in question, surname Innanen, is emerging as one of Finland’s leading young saxophonists and – this being “the land of forests” – indulged us in recording a short solo baritone improvisation, opening with ghostly distorted mute-effects, deep amongst the dusky trees that surround the city.

If this is all sounding dangerously stereotypical, tonight’s music certainly doesn’t. Something of Finland’s thriving rock scene emerges in the aesthetic of our first feature-length act, Finnish-American guitarist Raoul Bjorkenheim and his new quartet called Ecstasy (listen to the frenzied high-register interplay of soprano and guitar at the climax of set-opener Maelstrom Mary); and we begin the show with a track from drummer Hanni Pulle’s Space Machine, a band whose sound is certainly more ‘cosmic’ than ‘Nordic’.

Polish trumpeter Tomasz Stanko has a knack of identifying exciting new piano talent and in Alexi Tuomarila he might have found another. The Finn’s shifting harmonic sense and warmth of touch shine through in the introduction to Terminal 7, one of three pieces from Stanko’s Dark Eyes quintet which close the programme. The trumpeter is no stranger to Finland, having worked with the most famous jazz musician in the country’s history, Edward Vesala (also a mentor to Raoul Bjorkenheim, as we’ll hear in a interview Marcus recorded backstage and, yes, sauna-side.)
          from Jon3 Newsletter

Comment

• handsomefortune

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            last weekend was pretty good all round i'd say ... still listen first and comment later eh!
            duke ellington & his orchestra — 'harlem airshaft' was ace. the barney bigard discussion was interesting. from an orchestral perspective, as well as for bigard's career, and dextorous clarinet technique. his 'woody' sound, and 'waterfall' of notes upward, and downward, was welll explained and perfectly illustrated, i thought.

imv this week's 'jazz on 3' has got off to a terrible start ....a veritable rock guitar bonanza.........so far, it has led me to the conclusion that rubbish at high speed is still rubbish ultimately. plus the drums are abysmal. plus there is no 'jazz on 3' tracklist .... or, does it appear in the archive after the event ....? it's still stuck on last week's michel portal on my pc. am i looking in the wrong place, or what?

let's hope stinko really lets rip tonight, and jacko flies over and from within the freezing cloud, stretches forth an arm, and waves at us all from above...or maybe not....someone seems to be farting through a brass instrument now - so i have now restored my humour, despite everything.

Comment

• handsomefortune

help! is it 'medicine time' already, with the 'through the night' opening theme.

where did that hour or so go?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                help! is it 'medicine time' already, with the 'through the night' opening theme.

where did that hour or so go?
                The hourly theme tune to TTN is "La Cheminee du Roi Rene" by Darius Milhaud... who taught Dave Brubeck, btw. You may have known the latter, if not the former.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

and what a lovely tune it is too!

Comment

Working...
                  X