X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus in Paris 1970

As far as I know Charles Mingus recorded only one studio session between 1965 & 1971. This was an overlooked recording originally released as two separate LPs on the AMERICA label and now finally reissued as a 2-CD set 'Charles Mingus in Paris'(SUNNYSIDE SSC 3065).
    Although not classic Mingus there are fascinating versions of 'Pithecanthropus Erectus' and 'Reincarnation of a Lovebird' from an undervalued sextet featuring Bobby Jones(tenor), Charles McPherson(alto), Eddie Preston(trumpet), Jaki Byard(piano) & Dannie Richmond(drums).
    Well worth checking out.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

very true jazzrook and for any one who has not heard the Mingus Live in Paris 1964 recordings they too are essential ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

I've got one of the original America LPs, Pithecanthropus Erectus (not to be confused with the mid-50s Mingus LP of the same name). I'd agree with Jazzrook's assessment: not classic Mingus, but still well worth a listen.

Comment

Working...
        X