X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pilchardman
    • Jun 2024

Turn Things Upside Down - Happy End

Who can tell me more about this Big Band?

"Source material was drawn from the political left: the songs of Bertolt Brecht (with both Kurt Weill and Hans Eisler), Maoist anthems, Chartist protest songs, Cuban rhumbas, miners' anthems, South African township jazz, Irish jigs".

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pilchardman View Post
    Who can tell me more about this Big Band?

"Source material was drawn from the political left: the songs of Bertolt Brecht (with both Kurt Weill and Hans Eisler), Maoist anthems, Chartist protest songs, Cuban rhumbas, miners' anthems, South African township jazz, Irish jigs".

http://www.dannymanners.com/happy.html
    I remember them as not my cuppa, but not why - were they too noisy, too jokey, was there not enough improvisation in what they did, was it of poor quality, was it Sarah Jane Morris's voice? It was one or a combination of these things.

This is the man who puts on a real combination of world idioms that somehow seems to work (most times)

Then there's Mike and Kate Westbrook for more nuanced, less "Proletkult" takes on...

Comment

• Pilchardman

I only vaguely know of them, from a half-remembered collaboration with Robert Wyatt. Someone nudged my memory this morning, so obviously I thought of coming here for info!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pilchardman View Post
        I only vaguely know of them, from a half-remembered collaboration with Robert Wyatt. Someone nudged my memory this morning, so obviously I thought of coming here for info!
        I now recall them better as a satirical blast from the past, and of no particular relevance to the (then) present, P.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

oh those latin beats .....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Cheers. Doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
            X