HANK MOBLEY with CURTIS PORTER(SHAFI HADI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

HANK MOBLEY with CURTIS PORTER(SHAFI HADI)

I recently discovered this excellent 2-CD set which includes a 1957 Hank Mobley sextet session featuring saxophonist Curtis Porter(Shafi Hadi) who recorded with Charles Mingus. As far as I know this is the only recording of Shafi Hadi away from Mingus. The original BLUE NOTE album seems very hard to find which makes this a valuable reissue.
    Discover Three Classic Albums by Hank Mobley released in 2010. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Jazzrook

I've never heard of this record before. Not a bad track on Youtube but was a bit surprised by just how ragged the bridge of the opening theme is. The trumpeter seems to be really struggling to play the melody line and the saxes aren't much better. However, the most shocking thing is the drumming. I always thought that the Blue Note sessions were well rehearsed beforehand, hence the usual high standard of playing. Amazed that this slipped the net although the rest of the record is pleasnat enough.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

they sound rather stoned to me on that youtube clip ... some heavy substance abusers on that session ...
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Wondered if anyone had heard the the Tommy Dorsey version of "Tiger Rag" on yesterday's JRR? It put me in mind of this thread as I was that performance wasn't at all impressive. I'd read that Dorsey had flirted with the trumpet and knew that recordings existed where he played it but listening to that track last night made if difficult not to think of Ornette Coleman's efforts on that instrument. The guitar playing of Eddie Lang was impressive though.

Comment

Working...
          X