X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Jamie Cullum ~ Kate Bush interview

Wondered if anyone had checked out Jamie Cullum of late. It must admit that I had written this programme off as a series programme about jazz and his choice of play lists tend to be a bit left -field to say the least. There is also a problem with his interviews which do not really delve in to the music of his guests. However, I was really staggered to see that this week's guest was Kate Bush who was plugging a new album which, from the clips I have heard, sees her music moving even closer to jazz and away from pop / rock. I will make no bones about my enthusiasm for her music and the fact that there is very much a musical intelligence in the manner with which she works. It is interesting to listen to her most recent work and see how it fits in a jazz context - my perception is that many jazz fans will get a lot from her music and if "Jazz library" is able to define the music broadly enough to include such diverse singers as Louis Jordan, Bing Crosby and Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush's current direction , it doesn't seem unreasonable for Cullum to feature her recent music. I'm not quite sure how much Cullum actually recognised the music as being inspired by more contemporary jazz. Intrigued also that there was no mention of ECM within the interview, not only because of the impression the music gives but perhaps also due to the fact the Eberhard Weber has been a frequent collaborator with the singer in the past.

The interview did raise some interesting responses from the singer / song-writer who isn't quite as jazz-savvy as I would have imagined although she was very eloquent in her respect for musician's such as Steve Gadd who have the ability to put her ideas down on the manuscript. There were some curious comments about the form of songs where the comments recalled Herbie Nichols to my mind as his tunes were unpinned by a similar degree of originality. It was curious to hear Kate Bush talk about time signatures as pieces like "This woman's work" are great examples of how the meter alternates throughout the composition. Curiously , she mentioned that she had no inkling as to how the music actually would be notated and Cullum then responded that this was exactly the same for him.

The interview can be played again by following this link:-

Jamie conducts a rare interview with the British singer-songwriter Kate Bush.

This is quite fascinating as it raises questions that have been the subject of debate for years with my mother who has always been sceptical that musicians are conscious when they are improvising or in the process of creation as to what the music is doing either harmonically or with regard to time signatures. I don't agree with this and think that most musicians are aware of what is happening in their music but the Kate Bush example is one which surprised me by dealing with a musician who appears to be really switched on with music actually creating advanced musical ideas but maybe not totally appreciative of just how original the ideas are.

All in all, the interview gave a good insight despite Cullum's repeated sycophant tendancies. The rest of the programme has little to do with jazz other than a Sun Ra track. Not a great example of following on in Humph's footsteps but the style of presentation and degree of knowledge demonstrated for his subject does make you wonder where exactly Cullum's loyalties lie. I caught him live last year and he was far better than I had imagined although I think he is very much on the fringes of jazz. Even singers like Steve Tyrell are more authentic as jazz performers but as a presenter Cullum's judgement as a jazz presenter is extremely tenuous. A jazz programme for people who don't want to listen to jazz?
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I think he is a good jazz pianist, and that he should have stuck to that and channelled it so as to develop his own voice. As he is, he is a magpie, and for me his voice has a finger nail on blackboard edge, very off putting.

Thanks for posting the link Ian - I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
      All in all, the interview gave a good insight despite Cullum's repeated sycophant tendancies. The rest of the programme has little to do with jazz other than a Sun Ra track. Not a great example of following on in Humph's footsteps but the style of presentation and degree of knowledge demonstrated for his subject does make you wonder where exactly Cullum's loyalties lie.
      Interesting comments Ian.

Yes I listened to Kate Bush, but as a listening experience, I have to say I enjoyed more the preceding week's episode, with interplay between Lisa Doolittle and Cullum. As regards Cullums loyalties, may be there is an age divide here - his programmes may be intended for younger listeners with a much more open approach to different types of music and who are more prepared to listen to "trash", which offends the hard jazzers, and old timers such as myself ( although I personally was not offended).

Humph in my view belongs to a bygone age, along with mammoths, etc.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

er never mind the quality feel the width eh? .... not listened so don't take me seriously ... i will compare and contrast with late junction and R6 [run by enthusiasts not by marketing innit] ... nowt wrong with a nice bit of bricolage ....
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

If young people have an open attitude to Crooning and tourist Latin American Cullum will be right up their street.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

The iplayer stopped a short way in and a message appeared, "insufficient bandwidth to play this programme". What does this mean? Never had troubles before, and 2 minutes had already played!

Oh, it's OK second time round.
            Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 11-12-11, 18:58.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Must admit - I quite like Jamie Cullum's programme (and some of his music too). As with others, I kind of stumbled on it, not being a regular R2 listener. At least it's on in the daytime!

The programme with Wynton Marsalis as the guest (a few weeks back now) was particularly good.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                "insufficient bandwidth to play this programme". What does this mean?
                Never mind the quality, feel the bandwidth.
                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Working...
                X