• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

fiddlers diddlers noodlers and doodlers Jon3 5.xii.11

Adventures In Sound, an afternoon of free improvisation curated by Jazz on 3 at the London Jazz Festival.
    what is the difference between MUSICK and SOUNDE? Discuss!
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • handsomefortune

i don't knowe ..... will jez tell us, or get kevink to diskuss this instead?

we'll have to wait and see.

i predict that my cough mixture + 'jazz library' will quickly lead to the very finest of snoozes.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      what is the difference between MUSICK and SOUNDE? Discuss!
      Noodles, doodles, fiddles, riddles...
      Why do jazzers talk in riddles?

And you still haven't answered my question on the other thread!

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

Music must have an intention to frame or organize sound by the perpetrator or listener otherwise it is just Sound. Depending on your beliefs Birdsong can be "Gods Music, Nature's Music or Not Music. However, from the "not music" perspective, if someone says "Listen to that birdsong!" does it become Music?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

And you still haven't answered my question on the other thread!
          ..apologies ...er what question?
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• barber olly

..apologies ...er what question?
            It's on the R3 hates jazz thread, I welcome a response, if you've a minute.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
              Music must have an intention to frame or organize sound by the perpetrator or listener otherwise it is just Sound. Depending on your beliefs Birdsong can be "Gods Music, Nature's Music or Not Music. However, from the "not music" perspective, if someone says "Listen to that birdsong!" does it become Music?
              in short YES

is bell ringing music ?
              is Koranic recitation music ?

Is the Nightingale in The Pines of Rome music and the nightingale being recorded for the Pines Of Rome not music ?

and other questions I like to use to mess with the heads of music students

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

It's on the R3 hates jazz thread, I welcome a response, if you've a minute.
                ...forgive me i can not find a question as such but suggestions all of which i would support ....

oh and if you think the thread title is a riddle it isn't ... it is my rather jaded anticipation of what the programme will sound like ...

Comment

• barber olly

...forgive me i can not find a question as such but suggestions all of which i would support ....

oh and if you think the thread title is a riddle it isn't ... it is my rather jaded anticipation of what the programme will sound like ...
                  Cal, As you couldn't find it I've copied my original to this board

For much of my life I have tried to broaden my musical tates with jazz. I remember a nice line delivered by Barbara Flynn in The Beiderbeck Affair say in there were three types of jazz 'hot jazz', 'cool jazz' and 'when does the tune start?'. Now whilst my ear can attune to most things some jazz comes out a bit strident, piercing and frankly tuneless. Back in the sixties jazz was described in three genres, trad (which was OK in small doses), mainstream (OK) and modern (which appealed to me most). At that time jazz was 50 or so years old, so what was modern then ain't now. Increasingly now I get quite p...d off by jazz afficionados going on about how great jazz is but half the time I haven't a clue about who or what you are extolling the virtues of as they actually appear to trash an awful lot of what century of jazz has produced. So Cal or any other of you jazzers please in your considered, experienced opinion an example of 1 jazz 2 commercial schmaltz and 3 just plain bad stuff. Please don't try to fob me off with any of this if you need to ask you can't possibly understand stuff - I want examples!

A couple of examples of each would do fine, thanks.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                    Cal, As you couldn't find it I've copied my original to this board

For much of my life I have tried to broaden my musical tates with jazz. I remember a nice line delivered by Barbara Flynn in The Beiderbeck Affair say in there were three types of jazz 'hot jazz', 'cool jazz' and 'when does the tune start?'. Now whilst my ear can attune to most things some jazz comes out a bit strident, piercing and frankly tuneless. Back in the sixties jazz was described in three genres, trad (which was OK in small doses), mainstream (OK) and modern (which appealed to me most). At that time jazz was 50 or so years old, so what was modern then ain't now. Increasingly now I get quite p...d off by jazz afficionados going on about how great jazz is but half the time I haven't a clue about who or what you are extolling the virtues of as they actually appear to trash an awful lot of what century of jazz has produced. So Cal or any other of you jazzers please in your considered, experienced opinion an example of 1 jazz 2 commercial schmaltz and 3 just plain bad stuff. Please don't try to fob me off with any of this if you need to ask you can't possibly understand stuff - I want examples!

A couple of examples of each would do fine, thanks.
                    Are you looking for recommendations for Christmas presents?

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Are you looking for recommendations for Christmas presents?
                      No, and I'm seeking answers not smartass questions please.

Comment

• charles t
                        • Nov 2010

"3. just plain bad stuff"...

Barber: Coincidentally to your posting, in the current Downbeat Magazine's Blindfold Test, pianist Eric Reed commented:

[The listened-to selection is from Cecil Taylor's Willisau Concert , 2002.]

"...It's unique, it's creative, it's improvised - but it doesn't bring to mind anything that resembles jazz from Jelly Roll Morton on, in feel or vocabulary. It's not doing a thing for me. There's no doubt about his ability to get around the piano, his execution, the sound he's putting out - and it's his thing. 3 stars for pianism and no jazz stars.'

Mr. Cecil Taylor is Pantheon material these days...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

First up on this year’s show is bass player Dave Kane's Rabbit Project. It's far from a pastoral idyll, this - get ready for dirty, Rhodes-driven grooves and a collision of retro with very modern horn lines and collective improvisation.

Next it's our first experiment, a group that literally met for the first time on the AIS stage, featuring Fyfe Dangerfield of pop band Guillemots, and viola wizard Mat Maneri, among others. They produce a brooding, atmospheric set that ebbs and flows superbly, with a section in the middle providing a beautiful if rare moment of tranquility in the afternoon's proceedings.

Paul Rogers – bass player with long-standing improv group Mujician – makes a rare solo UK appearance next. Beforehand I chatted with him backstage and you can hear him explain how he never thinks when he plays. If that's the case in this set then it's a wonderful example of subconscious design as he explores his bespoke 7-string instrument to the max.

Clarinettist Alex Ward joins pianist Robert Mitchell in a one-off pairing that brought the house down – vivid passages of full-on energy that shine all the more brightly for both players' superb techniques, with Ward in particular producing some magical sounds.

And to round things off, Dangerfield returns with his working quintet, Gannets, a band we featured on the programme back in 2008. They're perhaps not your average free improv band (if such a thing exists), chaotically weaving together fragments of popular genres – listen out for New Orleans, Eastern Europe and a trace of Silent Whisper before things get eery at the end.
                          from newsletter

grump grind grate and groovy gravy by the sound off it ...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

from newsletter

grump grind grate and groovy gravy by the sound off it ...
                            having played with a few of these
                            Dave is an inspired bass player of remarkable subtlety and timing

Alex Ward was a bit of a child prodigy of improv (if that's possible ??) the album he made with Steve Noble was extraordinary for someone so young
                            and he is always worth listening to IMV

some good stuff that is rarely heard

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

i will gratefully take your recommendation Mr GongGong .....

and apologise for the superfluous f ....

Comment

Working...
                              X