(tres classic) Ray Charles at Antibes...1961 on film rediscovered/restored...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

When the RC band did Ireland the drugs were sent over from this side of the Irish Sea. The trumpet player's secret, who told me this, is safe with me - buried in a diamond-embossed casket at the bottom of the garden.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Humph played one of the big French festivals on a bill with Ray, I think in the late 70s, when Ray was backed by Dizzy's band. Ray played one of his "death" tempo slow blues and Dizzy spent the entire number trying to throw Fathead off tempo shouting jokes in his ear. The only way to find the time was to watch Ray's foot! That's why Edgar Willis, his bassist, always keyed the band.

BN..

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        Humph played one of the big French festivals on a bill with Ray, I think in the late 70s, when Ray was backed by Dizzy's band. Ray played one of his "death" tempo slow blues and Dizzy spent the entire number trying to throw Fathead off tempo shouting jokes in his ear. The only way to find the time was to watch Ray's foot! That's why Edgar Willis, his bassist, always keyed the band.

BN..
        speaking of a rhythm section in the boot

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Also, talking of dvds...

Ive now got the "Nica, Jazz Baroness"...lots on Monk, and some good interviews with Sonny and Roy Haynes etc. Very much worth watching...and for a still v.angry Curtis Fuller talking about meeting the queen when he was with Basie... Prince Phillip told her it was a Zulu band.

What a fkg waste of breathing that b.... is.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            Also, talking of dvds...

Ive now got the "Nica, Jazz Baroness"...lots on Monk, and some good interviews with Sonny and Roy Haynes etc. Very much worth watching...and for a still v.angry Curtis Fuller talking about meeting the queen when he was with Basie... Prince Phillip told her it was a Zulu band.

What a fkg waste of breathing that b.... is.

BN.

Indeed one wonders what his views on a Mr Hamza would have been...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

..... good job his name wasn't Richard or he would be known as the Royal Dick eh ...

speaking of a good bunch ....

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• clive heath

IIRC Ray Charles, his band and the Raylettes appeared at the Hammersmith Odeon on at least two weekends in the early sixties, for two shows each on successive nights. This was paid employment for a group of students from Imperial College (and free shows!), we did the tickets and in the interval, the ice-creams. Yes, I was a male usherette! I recall that at some point in the shows Ray got up from the piano stool, was given an alto sax and proceeded to deliver a sort of ricky-ticky solo (but full of soulllll). My favourite vocal LPs of his are "Modern Sounds in Country & Western.." and the duets with Betty Carter. Attempts to find equally good Betty Carter elsewhere have failed, what have I missed? As with similar two shows/two nighters (Brubeck/Ella) you got a bit jaded by the fourth show and you began to feel for the artists.. but not for long.. it's their life. Count Basie was another visitor in that decade and I recall edging down to the side of the stage as they were playing "Whirly-Bird" and hearing Sonny Payne ( I suppose it was he) towards the end of the piece put in bass-drum bombs on the beats before the brass shouts which came every three beats (against the pulsing 4/4 from the rhythm section), amazing and not on the original recording (Columbia 33 SX 1084, remember?) where he just accents the shouts with rim-shots.

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

i musta bought an ice cream from you Clive!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Ray and Band ...Newport (not Wales) 1960. Utube.

Magic.

BN.

Don't sit there mumblin...

Comment

Working...
                    X